This article provides information on "Dell Backup and Recovery Manager" (DBRM)
- Dell Backup and Recovery Manager Overview
- File Backup and Restore
- System Backup and Restore
- Dell Recovery Tools
- Troubleshooting Dell BackUp and Recovery Manager
Dell™ Backup and Recovery Manager 1.3 is a basic and easy-to-use tool that helps Dell customers to create and manage file and system backups, and recover computer and data in the event of a failure. DBRM includes several features such as:
- Backup and restoring specific file categories such as music, video, and picture.
- Backup and restoring whole system partition.
- Create Dell OS and application media such as Microsoft Office suite, Roxio Creator, Norton Internet Security, McAfee Security Suite, etc.
- Repairing pre-installed application such as Microsoft Office suite, Roxio Creator, Norton Internet Security, McAfee Security Suite, etc.
- Now supports the ability to create application media backups in accordance with your end-user license agreement.
- Dell Backup and Recovery Manager no longer needs to reboot into the Windows Recovery Environment to create your system backup images. The images are now created within the operating system.
- Functional cosmetic enhancements to simplify how a user selects backup media type and storage location.
- Added support for Dual Layer DVDs (Windows Vista and Windows 7 only).
Note: The 1st dual-layer DVD in a dual-layer set will be a created as single-layer DVD in order to be bootable. However the remaining dual-layer DVDs in the backup set will utilize their full capacity.
Note: Blu-ray support is limited to their use as a high capacity storage medium. Blu-ray disks will not be bootable. To restore a Blu-ray disk backup, you must boot your system from a bootable Dell Recovery disk or another bootable backup image. Do not use for OS or recovery media.
Previous version of Dell Backup and Recovery Manager required the use of Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to create system backup. The current DBRM 1.3 does not need WinRE to create such backups.
DBRM supports a wide array of backup media. These are:
- External USB media (USB memory key or USB HDD).
- Blu-Ray (Windows 7 & 8).
- Dual Layer DVD (Windows 7, 8 & Vista only).
The System Backup Status screen is the first screen displayed when you launch Dell Backup and Recovery Manager. The user can also access it by clicking the Overview button.
The System Backup Status screen displays information about the last system backup image made. For Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows 7 systems that include a copy of the Dell Factory Image on the Recovery partition, it will be the initial system backup image shown until the user back up their system.
For Windows XP systems that do not have a Recovery partition and a Dell Factory Image, the backup status information is replaced with a message informing the user that a backup has not been made and advises them to create .a backup now by clicking Backup System Now.
Back to Top
The File Backup and Restore section provides a direct link to Microsoft Windows Backup and Restore. File Backup and Restore has several advantages over the whole system backup, which is:
- Backup specific file type.
- Backup specific directory.
You are able to access it via clicking File Backup and Restore.
How to Backup:
- Select where to backup.
- Choose types of backup. "Let Windows Choose" option will back up the whole document folder inclusive of creating a system image. "Let Me Choose" option will put up a folder structure for a customized backup.
- If "Let Me Choose" is selected, you will be prompted to select which folder to backup.
- The last page is to review what you have selected through the wizard.
How to Restore:
- Select the file/folder to restore.
- The system will prompt you where to restore the backup.
Back to Top
Backup System performs slightly differently from File Backup and Restore. Instead of backing up individual files and folders, Backup System works by using Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) which is available through Windows Vista and Windows 7, allowing a whole system backup.
This procedure will create a backup copy of the primary system partition. Usually this is labelled as C: drive.
- In the first step of the Wizard, enter the backup name and location to store the backup.
- Press Create Image to begin the backup process.
- The process will display a completion bar.
Managing backup allows you to export, rename or delete a backup.
- Select the backup from the drop down list.
- Then select an action, which is:
- Export – to export a backup to another location,
- Rename – renaming a backup to a different label, and
- Delete – to delete a backup.
System Restore via DBRM:
- Choose the image and click Next.
- Click Start.
- The system will proceed with a status bar and will prompt the user to reboot the computer upon completion.
Back to Top
Dell Recovery Tools is a specialized section within DBRM to create media for Dell customers. This section is divided into two sub-sections: a) Dell Recovery Media – default factory image and b) OS and Application Media. Customers who purchase additional software during point-of-sale will have a way to create these application media.
Dell Recovery Media
- The wizard will prompt you to select the device to create the recovery media.
- Factory image and recovery tools is a combination of standard Dell OS image and drivers/applications
- Recovery tools only is used to create Dell drivers & applications media only.
NOTE: This is a warning stage for External Storage Device only. If you are using an optical media, this message will not appear.
- System will ask for a confirmation.
- The system will proceed with a status bar and will prompt the user with the status message when it is completed.
Back to Top
Inability to upgrade, install, or uninstall DCP Security Manager or Dell Backup and Recovery Manager.
- If you are attempting to uninstall DCP Security Manager to upgrade to Dell Data Protection software on older systems, you may experience a variety of different failure codes and the installation or removal will fail. An issue may also arise when trying to enroll fingerprints, encrypt the hard drive, etc. on an out of the box Dell system. The DCP Security Manager may not be listed under the Programs menu, or an icon on the desktop. You will have to download the Dell ControlPoint Security Software in order to get the Wave software.
- The issue is that Dell Data Protection\Access is installed from the factory and these two programs cannot co-exist. You must remove DCP for full functionality of DBRM.
- In newer systems this should not be an issue as DCP (Dell Control Point) is no longer installed on Dell Systems.
Dell Backup & Recovery
Manager (DBRM) May Display an Incorrect Date for the Next Scheduled Backup
User Created System Partition may Disappear after Recovery Using Dell Backup & Recovery Manager (DBRM)
Back to Top