Summary: How to Reinstall Drivers and Software After Reinstalling Microsoft® Windows®
|Article Summary:||This article will provide the following:|
- Find out what Operating System is on the computer.
- Find out the computer model number.
- Provide instruction on what drivers are needed as well as what order to install them.
Once the Operating System and the model number are known, the instructions on what drivers are need as well as what order to install them will be provided.
Find out What Operating System Is on the Computer
Look at the Start button (located in the lower left corner of the computer screen) to see which version of Windows is installed:
Find out the Computer Model
There are several ways to find out what the model of the computer is:
- Refer to you order confirmation or packing slip.
- Find the model on the computer itself (typically located on the front of a desktop or under the Notebook LCD screen near the power button).
Brand examples are Latitude, Inspiron, Dimension, Precision, Vostro or XPS. The model number is typically located next to the brand name.
- Locate the Service Tag of the computer and go online to the Original Configuration tool to find out what the computer model is (another computer that can get to the internet can be used).
The computer model is shown next to System Type:
When the Operating System and computer model are known Click Here
, a new window will open and a series of drop down menus will appear.
Use the drop down menus to input the Operating System and model so that the correct instructions for the computer can be given.
Read each line of the instructions and perform it on the computer itself. It may be necessary
to minimize the set of instructions in order to be able to perform them on the computer.
Quick Tips content is self-published by the Dell Support Professionals who resolve issues daily. In order to achieve a speedy publication, Quick Tips may represent only partial solutions or work-arounds that are still in development or pending further proof of successfully resolving an issue. As such Quick Tips have not been reviewed, validated or approved by Dell and should be used with appropriate caution. Dell shall not be liable for any loss, including but not limited to loss of data, loss of profit or loss of revenue, which customers may incur by following any procedure or advice set out in the Quick Tips.