You may experience a print quality issue when scanning or copying from the ADF (Automated Document Feeder) or Scanner Flatbed when using a Dell MFP (Multi Function Printer).
The most likely cause of lines on scans or copies is a mark or scratch on the ADF glass. The paper is fed past the ADF glass when scanning or copying and any small defect can be displayed as a vertical line on the page.
To verify the cause of this issue, please try the following steps:
Back to Top
- Try printing a settings report from the printer operating panel and verify that there is no line present on document.
- Try a copy from both the Scanner Flatbed and the ADF.
- If line is present on copies from both sources then the issue is not with the Scanner/Copier, please trouble shoot a Print Quality issue on your specific Printer Model.
- If the line is only present on one source (ADF or Flatbed) then issue is due to marks, scratches, toner or cracks on the Flatbed or ADF.
- If issue present with copies from the Scanner Flatbed only:
- Using a lint-free cloth and a glass cleaner the cloth should be damp but not dripping or soaking wet.
- Clean the Scanner Flatbed and check for any foreign objects or cracks.
- If issue present with copies from the ADF only:
- Gather the following items: Lint free cloth or paper towels, a small flashlight or keychain light and an old credit card similar firm plastic card.
- First dampen the paper towels or cloth. They need to be damp but not dripping or soaking wet. Lift the lid of the scanner and locate the narrow glass strip to the left of the large piece of glass. You need to fold the paper towels or cloth in a lengthwise manner so that they cover the narrow strip. Once in place, close the lid gently and let them sit for no less than 4 minutes.
- After 4 minutes or more, lift the lid, remove the damp cloth or paper towel. Now "vigorously" clean the narrow glass strip. Not so hard you damage the printer. Also clean the plastic strip on the lid adjacent to the narrow strip that covers it when the lid is in the close position. Once this is done, make sure the strip is dry and moisture free. Now run a test scan. If image is changed or improved but lines are still present, then repeat the previous steps. You may be able to use the small flashlight to find the defect or contaminant and remove it.
- You can also remove residue by using a firm plastic, such as an old credit card to scrape the glass of the ADF.
If these steps do not correct the problem, please contact Dell Technical Support.
More information can be found in the User Guide
for your model printer, or visit our Printer Support site
for additional information, troubleshooting articles and videos.
Purchase Toner and other Dell Laser Printer Supplies
It is recommended that only Dell Branded toner, drums, transfer rollers or other consumables are used in our laser printers. Dell cannot guarantee compatibility or the print quality of any 3rd party consumables.