Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 May Produce Hardware Errors on Dell PowerEdge Systems
Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 may produce hardware errors on IntelR based 9th generation PowerEdge Systems. In particular, the PowerEdge 1950III, 2950III and 2900III.
The hardware fault being reported in most instances is E1420 - CPU BUS PERR.
When working on the issue perform the following steps to get into a Microsoft supported configuration:
1. Update to the latest Service Pack (SP) or patch level for Microsoft Virtual Server 2005. Install SP1 Update for Virtual Server 2005. This requires SP1 to be installed. If Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 is running with no service pack, download and install SP1 first and then download SP1 Update.
Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 SP1
Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 SP1 Update
2. Enable Intel Virtualization Technology in the BIOS. The following Microsoft white paper explains the benefits of this setting.
Microsoft-Intel Virtualization Whitepaper
3. Verify if host operating system is supported. See the release notes for the supported host operating system and service pack levels. This must be done for the installed version of Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 (that is no SP or SP1). This information can be seen for SP1 Update as well. This can be viewed from the links provided above.
4. Verify if guest operating system(s) are supported. Use the same instructions provided in step 3 to verify this information.
For example: Without Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 SP1 Update, Windows Vista® and Windows 2008 is not supported as a host or guest OS.
For more information on this, refer to the following Microsoft KB Article: Virtual Server 2005 R2 Service Pack 1 does not support Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista Service Pack 1, or Windows XP Service Pack 3 Article ID: 948515.
5. Exclude virtual machine directories from any anti-virus scanning.
6. Dell hardware updated BIOS or Base Management Controller (BMC) / Dell Remote Assistant Card (DRAC) (latest versions).
Dell has not tested or validated Microsoft Virtual Server to run on Dell PowerEdge servers. The information put together here is a compilation of Microsoft and Dell requirements and recommendations. Where applicable, external links have been provided to the sources for further information.
Article ID: SLN75988
Last Date Modified: 06/10/2014 03:27 PM