Safe, Simple and Reliable Data Protection
Dell Backup and Recovery
is a flexible, automated backup and recovery application which is designed to reliably protect your most important digital documents and memories in just a few clicks.Backing up your data with Dell Backup and Recovery can protect against data loss resulting from:
- Virus attack
- Accidental file deletion
- OS/software corruption
- Hardware failure*
* if data is backed up to a secondary drive or the cloud
The Dell Backup and Recovery Application comes in two versions, Basic
. You can also purchase a Cloud Storage
option along with the Basic or Premium versions that will allow you to back up online.Download Dell Backup and Recovery
Dell Backup and Recovery Basic
comes preloaded on new Dell Windows 7 and Windows 8 devices and offers the following features:
- Create reinstall disks (rescue disks) for your device
- Reset your device to the original factory state
- Manually back up and restore your data
If your device did not come with Dell Backup and Recovery pre-installed, please see the Installation & System Requirements
section on this page. Please see the Additional Support Resources
section for help on using Dell Backup and Recovery.
If your system came with Dell DataSafe or Dell Backup and Recovery Manager and you would like more information on these products, please see the Legacy Backup Applications
section on this page. Dell recommends that you upgrade your system to Dell Backup and Recovery.Protect your data in 3 simple steps
- Choose "what" you want to back up
Back up your entire system or just a few files
- Choose "where" to back up
Back up to your primary hard drive, a USB drive, on the cloud* or all of the above
- Choose "when" to back up
Back up on your schedule or use the Continuous Data Protection** feature to protect your personal files as you create them
* Requires a Cloud Storage option
** Continuous Data Protection is not part of the basic versionInstallation and System RequirementsTo install Dell Backup and Recovery
Minimum System Requirements
- Please ensure your device meets the minimum system requirements.
- Save all open files and close any open applications.
- Remove all previous Dell backup applications if installed (Dell Backup and Recovery Manager, Dell DataSafe Local, Dell Data Safe Online).
- Download Dell Backup and Recovery, and then run the Setup Program.
- If you’re prompted to allow the program to make changes to your computer, click Yes.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
- If asked, please allow your system to be restarted.
- After the system restarts, please allow the update to complete before using the application.
- To open Dell Backup and Recovery, click Start, type Backup in the search box and then click the Dell Backup and Recovery icon (a white clock in a blue square).
- Operating System: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1
- Processor: 1GHz or faster
- System Memory (RAM): 1GB (32-bit) or 2GB (64-bit)
- Hard disk space: At least 16GB free or greater
Access to Dell Backup and Recovery during System Boot
If the Operating System cannot be accessed due to boot failure, you can still launch Dell Backup and Recovery.
For Windows 8/8.1:
Press F12 during boot (startup screen) and select “Dell Backup and Recovery” from the boot menu.
For Windows 7:
- Press F8 during boot (startup screen)
- Select “Repair Your Computer”
- Select “Dell Backup and Recovery” from the Recovery Options Menu
Legacy Backup Applications
For help with other Dell Backup applications that may have come preloaded with your PC, please see the following pages:System Backups
Backing up your personal data with Dell Backup and Recovery Basic is a good start toward protecting your valuable personal data. However, if your system is corrupted by a virus, system crash, or hardware failure, having a system backup can restore your entire system including applications, settings and personal data back to a previous point in time. If you’ve upgraded to Dell Backup and Recovery Premium you will be able to create system backups for the most complete data protection.Continuous Data Protection
If you've upgraded to Dell Backup and Recovery Premium, you now have additional flexibility for scheduling your data backups or even protecting your most important data continuously. The Continuous Data Protection feature allows you to protect your working documents in real time and to roll back to any version you’ve previously saved, whether it was minutes or weeks ago.Additional Features
In addition to system backups and continuous data protection, Dell Backup and Recovery Premium enables the following features:
Learn More about Premium and Cloud Features
- Manage and merge backups together without duplicating your files to save space
- Back up and restore files based on their type: picture, video, email, document
Additional Support Resources