|Description:||This file format consists of a BIOS executable file. This format can be used to install from Linux.|
|Description:||This file format consists of a BIOS executable file. The Universal (Windows/MS DOS) format can be used to install from Windows XP, Windows 2000, NT, Windows 9X, Windows ME or a MS DOS environment.|
Level of Importance:Recommended
|Systems Precision 490 Desktop||Operating Systems BIOS|
- Dell Device
Fixes & Enhancements
Installation Instructions for Linux
Installation Instructions for the Universal (Windows/ DOS) format
If not already logged in as root, change user ID to root.
At the shell, switch to run level 1 by executing "init 1".
Make the update program executable by executing "chmod u+x update_program_name".
Run the update by executing "./update_program_name" from the shell.
Follow the remaining prompts to perform the update.
For help, type "./update_program_name --help" at the shell prompt.
- Download file to Desktop
- Use one of the methods below to flash the Bios.
- Run the BIOS update utility from Windows environment
- Run the BIOS update utility from DOS environment (Non-Windows users)
Download file to Desktop
The file WS490A07.EXE is using the Universal (Windows/ DOS) format and is designed to be directly executed from Windows environment.
NOTE: Shut down all other applications prior to running the BIOS update utility. The update utility reboots your system in order to get the new BIOS loaded.
- Click Download now.
The File Download window appears.
- Click the Save button.
The Save As window appears.
- Select Desktop using the drop-down menu to the right of Save in.
- Click the Save button.
A progress meter moves as the download is completed.
- If necessary, click X in the upper right-hand corner of the Download Progress Window to close it upon completion.
Run the BIOS update utility from Windows environment
Run the BIOS update utility from DOS environment (Non-Windows users)
- Double click the Icon on your desktop labeled WS490A07.EXE.
The Dell BIOS Flash window appears
- Click the Continue button.
The message Pressing OK will close all applications, shut down Windows, Flash the BIOS, then reboot. appears.
- Click the OK button.
The system will restart and the BIOS Flash will be completed.
NOTE: You will need to provide a bootable DOS diskette. This executable file does not create the DOS system files.
- Copy the file WS490A07.EXE to a bootable floppy.
- Boot from the floppy to the DOS prompt.
- Run the file by typing Y:\WS490A07.EXE (where y is the drive letter where the executable is located).
This is an optional process and is not required for the downloading and installation of device drivers from this site.
By downloading, you accept the terms of the Dell Software License Agreement.