- Hypervisor (options)
- VMware® vSphere™ 5.1
- Microsoft® Windows Server® Hyper-V™ 2012
- VMware vCenter™ Server (VMware edition)
- Dell Management Plug-in for VMware vCenter (VMware edition)
- VMware vCloud® Connector (VMware edition)
- Microsoft® System Center Virtual Machine Manager (Microsoft edition)
- Dell Compellent Enterprise Manager
- Dell Compellent Plug-in for VMware vCenter (VMware edition)
- OpenManage Essentials with Repository Manager
The half-height PowerEdge M620 blade server offers unprecedented memory density and superb performance for the vStart 1000, with no compromise on enterprise-class features. The M620 is a near-perfect blend of density, performance, efficiency and scalability designed for taxing workloads such as email, database and virtual environments.
- vStart 1000 starter solution configuration includes eight VMware ESXi virtual servers with a total of 128 processor cores (Intel® Xeon® E5-2600 processor) and 1TB* of memory. Solution can scale to 32 virtual servers with 512 cores and 4TB* of memory.
- vStart 1000 leverages Broadcom® 57810-k dual-port 10Gb KR blade network daughter cards for Ethernet connectivity and QLogic® QME2572 8 Gbps fibre channel I/O (input/output) mezzanine cards for storage connectivity.
- Integrated Dell Remote Access Controller (iDRAC 7) Enterprise Edition provides out-of-band server management.
The PowerEdge M620 blade server is housed within the PowerEdge M1000e blade chassis, a high-performance, scalable, ultradense and power-efficient blade enclosure. The chassis integrates the latest in management, I/O, power and cooling technologies in a modular, easy-to-use package. Designed from the ground up to support current and upcoming generations of server, storage, networking and management technologies, the PowerEdge M1000e includes the headroom necessary to efficiently scale for the future.
Note: Two virtualized Dell PowerEdge R620 rack servers are also included and serve as hosts for the management tools.
For more information on the PowerEdge M620 blade server, click here
For more information on Dell PowerEdge R620 servers, click here
For more information on the PowerEdge M1000e blade chassis, click hereStorage summary
The Dell Compellent SC8000 Storage Center Controller and enclosure is an all-in-one storage array that allows organizations to actively manage data at a highly granular level using built-in intelligence and automation. This ultraefficient, easy-to-manage storage solution optimizes drive utilization; dynamically moves data between storage tiers and RAID levels; continuously protects data against downtime and disaster; scales on demand and quickly adapts to ever-changing business needs. SC8000 offers increased capacity, a 64-bit OS, increased memory and memory performance, increased PCI bus performance and increased processing power over previous generation arrays, enhancing storage flexibility, resiliency and performance.
vStart 1000 features dual storage controllers to help ensure maximum uptime, each featuring a six-core Sandy Bridge Intel® processor, six PCIe expansion slots and 4GB*
of battery-less cache that features multithreaded read-ahead mirrored write technology for continuous data protection.
The vStart 1000 starter solution configuration features:
- Two SC220 2.5” drive enclosures with a total of 36x 15,000 rpm/300GB* SAS drives
- One SC200 3.5” enclosure with seven 7,200 rpm/3TB* drives
- Total raw storage capacity of 31.8TB*
For larger solution configurations, vStart 1000 storage can be scaled up to:
- Six SC220 2.5” SAS enclosures with a total of 144 x 15,000 rpm/300GB* SAS drives
- Two SC200 3.5” enclosures with a total of 24 x 7,200 rpm/3TB* drives
- Total raw storage capacity of 115.2 TB*
Dell Compellent SC8000 supports RAID levels 0, 5, 6 and 10 dual-mirror. Any combination of RAID levels can exist on a single storage center and multiple RAID levels can exist on the same storage tier within an array. Storage is virtualized and pooled across the array without RAID group limitations.
A Brocade® 6510 SAN switch provides the storage networking.Networking summary
Dell’s Force10 S4810, 10/40GbE top-of-rack switch delivers Ethernet connectivity for the vStart 1000. Its nonblocking, cut-through switching architecture offers ultralow latency and line-rate Layer 2 and Layer 3 forwarding capacity to help maximize network throughout for high-performance data centers environments. The space-saving compact design includes 48 dual-speed 1/10GbE (SFP+) ports as well as four 40GbE QSFP+ uplinks.
The S4810 incorporates multiple architectural features that optimize data center network flexibility, efficiency and availability. These include IO-panel-to-PSU airflow or PSU-to-IO-panel airflow for hot/cold aisle environments and redundant, hot-swappable power supplies and fans.
- vStart 1000 comes standard with two Dell 10/40GbE Force10 S4810 switches with a 1.28 Tbps (full duplex) nonblocking, cut-through switching fabric that provides line-rate performance under full load with 800ns latency.
- Open Automation Framework adds VM-awareness as well as automated configuration and provisioning capabilities to simplify the management of virtual network environments.
- Modular Dell Force10 Operating System (FTOS) software offers inherent stability as well as advanced monitoring and serviceability functions.
- Two Dell PowerEdge M I/O Aggregator I/O modules provide chassis connectivity to the top-of-rack switch.
- Two Brocade® 8GB 6510 fibre channel switches provide storage connectivity.
Note: One Dell Force10 S55 switch is used for management server connectivity.
Summary of other required integration elements
- For more information on the Dell Force10 S4810 switch, click here
- For more information on the Dell Force10 S55 switch, click here
- For more information on the Dell PowerEdge I/O Aggregator, click here
- For more information on the Brocade 6510 fibre switch, click here
- SQL Database — required for vCenter and Compellent Enterprise Manager
- Domain Name System (DNS) — available on management network
- Network Time Protocol (NTP) — available on management network
- Network routing
- SMTP — may be used by OpenManage Essentials and vCenter
- SysLog — recommended for vSphere, LAN switch and SAN switch logs