Protect continuously, move anywhere, recover everything.
Protect both data and applications continuously, move across virtual, physical and cloud environments and recover everything with AppAssure.
AppAssure first revolutionized data protection by unifying backup, replication and recovery in one software solution. Designed for virtual, physical and cloud environments, AppAssure’s continual data and application backups, daily data integrity, validation and flexible recovery options provide customers with unparalleled data protection. And now you can protect Linux servers too - all with the same AppAssure 5 product.
AppAssure 5 extends its core protection capabilities to address the challenges of today’s larger and more complex data environments. Specifically:
- AppAssure’s new scalable architecture for data protection backs up and manages growing data quickly and efficiently to deliver RTOs (recovery time objectives) and RPOs (Recovery point objectives) of mere minutes.
- Global deduplication and compression technology reduces backup time and minimizes storage footprint.
- New AppAssure agent for Linux along with several enhancements designed to simplify management, speed deployments and increase the feature set (see AppAssure 5 datasheet for details).
Reduce downtime and cut RTOs from hours to minutes or seconds with AppAssure. It offers:
- Flexible recovery: choose local, offsite or disaster recovery. Recover to a virtual or physical machine. Restore at any level: single file, message or data object, or restore a complete machine.
- Fast, small or large-scale recovery: Recover anywhere, to any machine. Choose local or off-site recoveries to any available machines, even to dissimilar hardware.
- Reduce data loss: After a disaster, quickly recover from up to 288 daily incremental backups for nearly unlimited RPO granularity.
- Deduplicate for efficiency: AppAssure integrated deduplication and file compression cuts storage requirements by up to 80 percent.
- Access to global software support: Dell ProSupport™ provides access to backup and recovery experts available around the clock and around the globe, ensuring your systems are backed up and running quickly.
- Access to remote installation services: Dell Remote Installation Services include installation and configuration options for customers that require assistance deploying AppAssure software.
AppAssure allows you to protect both physical and virtual systems running either Windows or Linux from a single console:
- Virtual backup and recovery: AppAssure software for virtual server backup and disaster recovery simplifies recoveries across most popular hypervisors including VMware® vSphere, ESX/ESXi, Microsoft® Hyper-V™ and Citrix XenServer.
- Physical backup and recovery: Protect your physical business-critical and legacy systems with block-level file and email or system-level backup and recovery capabilities for Microsoft® Exchange Server, MS SQL Server®, MS SharePoint® and other platforms.
Three ground-breaking technologies form the foundation of AppAssure application protection of Windows environments:
- Live Recovery™: Helps meet SLA objectives and significantly reduce the risk of data loss. Achieve near instant return to operations with a recovery time objective of seconds and a recovery point objective (RPO) of minutes).
- Recovery Assure™: Ensures that your backup file is completely recoverable with AppAssure’s automated recovery verification technology.
- Universal Recovery™: Enables cross-platform restoration of a file, object or complete system to any virtual machine or dissimilar hardware.
|Cloud services and industry-specific solutions|
|If you store data in the cloud or have backup and recovery needs that are specific to an industry, AppAssure can deliver a dependable solution tailored to your needs.|
Cloud backup and replication
Online Exchange backup
Automotive Products and Technologies Company EFG Switches to Dell AppAssure Backup
EFG Companies is a leader in the automotive retail services industry, which develops premier products and solutions for dealers. Network/System/Windows Administrator John Grimes is responsible for making sure that EFG’s data is kept well-protected.
For years, Grimes had to come in every morning to see if the nightly backups were working. “For 45 minutes every morning, I’d be checking emails and seeing whether the backups worked or not,” says Grimes. “Because of this, I was getting further behind with my other work. I kept thinking, this is not how backups are supposed to work.”
Grimes and his team too often found themselves in situations where they needed deleted information quickly, and when they tried to get the data, they couldn’t because a backup tape was corrupted.
“We tested several different backup systems to find out which provided us the fastest backups, the easiest recovery, and the best utilization of backup resources,” Grimes says. “Dell AppAssure’s software nailed all three. This is one of the easiest products I’ve used. Seriously – it’s that good.”
Starbucks Preferred Food Provider Switches to Dell AppAssure
Diana’s Bakery is a large food manufacturer based in Connecticut for such big names like Starbucks, Stop & Shop, Aramark, and Sodexho. Diana’s substantial growth has been a huge challenge for Christopher Brescia, Diana’s Bakery IT Manager. With his existing NT Backup application, Brescia had no visibility into whether the backup jobs were working, whether they were failing, or even whether the data it was backing up was any good. Without verifiable backups, much less a comprehensive disaster recovery plan, Diana’s Bakery was vulnerable. Then came the storm that wiped out power.
Brescia spent 36 hours straight trying to rebuild just one of the company’s mission critical servers — an Exchange server — only to find out that in the end it was so corrupt that the last good backup snapshot he could find was three months old. As a result he began evaluating backup and disaster recovery solutions from a host of providers. When he sat on a Dell AppAssure demo, he realized he could replicate a server and place it on standby in case something happened.
Diana’s had all of its servers connected to a Dell AppAssure backup core processor just before another storm hit. This time, leveraging Dell AppAssure’s “Export to VM” feature, Brescia exported the backed-up server to a VM on a secondary ESXi host (a different architecture altogether), got the system live in under 10 minutes and restored the full Exchange Database in under an hour. “Everything is quick and easy on this front now,” says Brescia. “Even when a huge, critical file with production history on it got corrupted I just went in, found the last good snap copy of the file and restored it, all in under 5 minutes.”
Food Distributor Mitigates Million-Dollar Risks by Switching to Dell AppAssure
When Chris Pechtold was first approached about taking on the first Director of Technology position at Imler’s Poultry, he sat down with the company partners to get a full understanding of the IT challenges facing the company, which distributes 4,000 food products, shipping a million pounds a day to seven states and to Washington, DC. At that time, Imler’s Poultry was outsourcing their IT, dependent on a homegrown backup solution that included making sure a 1TB USB drive was taken off-site every night. With one day of transactions representing two or three million dollars in revenue, and because the partners knew they were facing the same risk, so Pechtold was brought on board to bring the company’s IT to a strong level.
He started by doing a comprehensive evaluation of everything. “As a Microsoft Great Plains environment, we rely heavily on our SQL transactions, Pechtold says. “This database gets hundreds of updates per hour as the entire sales staff updates orders. We needed continuous protection for the literally hundreds of hourly data changes. I needed to know where this information was. Finally, we have multiple warehouses. We needed to be able to replicate offsite in order to recover in case of a disaster.”
It took Pechtold and the company only one sales cycle, including a free trial of Dell AppAssure’s superior backup and disaster recovery software, to realize they’d found what they needed. “For us, the frequency of the image snapshots and the ability to quickly restore to virtual to meet operational demands are two of Dell AppAssure’s greatest features,” says Pechtold. “The hourly snapshots and the quick recovery of deleted files or emails means I sleep better at night. Prior to Dell AppAssure, I simply could not recover without losing a day of work.”
“Dell AppAssure has been exceptional,” Pechtold says. “From the price point to the product offering, to the support services, we would not have gotten this level of service with Symantec, Veritas, CA ArcServe, or anyone else.”
AppAssure 5 delivers innovative and breakthrough technologies to create fast and reliable backups of applications and data across virtual, physical and cloud environments. With the introduction of Linux system protection, AppAssure now safeguards both Windows and Linux environments to give you integrated backup, recovery and replication all from the same AppAssure 5 application:
Back up production systems fast Fast
low impact block-level snapshots allow you to schedule as many as 288 backups a day with little impact on production servers.
Flexible and immediate recoveries
Using an incremental forever approach to backup, AppAssure 5 recovers data files or whole systems in just minutes, from hundreds of daily recovery points.
Replicate offsite or to the cloud
Easily move your backup data to any location, including private and public cloud locations for fast access and offsite recoveries after disaster strikes.
Safeguard growing data with True Scale™ Data Protection:
AppAssure 5’s new scalable architecture for data protection leverages a dynamic, multi-core pipeline storage system that scales linearly to store and manage data efficiently and deliver RTOs and RPOs of minutes.
Reduce storage footprint with True Global Deduplication™
Inline deduplication and compression optimizes backups for WAN replication and eliminates redundant data across your entire network.
Advantages of AppAssure data protection
Scaleable, efficient backup. Multiple-core backups accelerate backups to whatever speed you require, up to communications line speed. Tackle even big data without having to over-buy disk storage.
Rapid and flexible recovery. Achieve near-zero application recovery time objectives (RTO). AppAssure’s highly granular recovery time gives you hundreds of recovery points a day to choose from.
Comprehensive data off-siting, fail-over, fail-back. WAN-optimized, deduplication-aware replication for off-siting data to public or private clouds. Create an up-to-date virtual standby clone of the production server as of the last snapshot so you can recover instances from replicated machines, and then fail back to the production machine when the problem is solved.
Web-based user interface. AppAssure 5 features a new web-based user interface that is compatible with industry-standard browsers on laptops, tablets and notebooks.
Complete Windows application protection
AppAssure 5 delivers three innovative technologies that do much more than simply back up machines and their data.
Live Recovery™: Instant Recovery
Restore an entire server from your backup with an RTO of seconds rather than hours. Recover the use of a server to any location from the backup file directly onto any virtual or physical machine without having to wait to extract the full backup to production storage. Choose from as many as 288 recovery points a day to deliver an RPO of minutes.
Recovery Assure™: Reliable Recovery
Automatically test and verify application recoverability. AppAssure 5 tests it nightly to determine if it can be fully recovered. AppAssure 5 then notifies you if any backup instance is not recoverable, giving you another opportunity to back up before disaster strikes.
Universal Recovery™: Recover to any VM or Server
AppAssure provides full bare-metal recovery to dissimilar hardware and VM servers in seconds as well as granular recovery of individual objects, applications, files or messages, in just minutes.
Combined, these technologies deliver fast, reliable and secure local recoveries and cloud-enabled disaster recovery of your Windows machines. Flexible enterprise data retention policies are supported for recovery and compliance purposes.
AppAssure Linux Protection: NEW
AppAssure Agent for Linux is an innovative Linux backup and recovery product that can be managed centrally from a single user interface. After completing an initial full backup, take advantage of incremental forever block-level snapshot backups with change block tracking. This feature allows each Linux machine to be ‘snapped’ and backed up much more frequently than traditional backup architectures allow and it yields outstanding disk storage efficiency.
Cuts backup windows and speeds restores
AppAssure cuts Linux backup windows from hours to just minutes for better recovery point objectives (RPOs) and it restores in minutes to deliver superior recovery time objectives (RTOs).
- Continually protects multiple servers per AppAssure core
- Linux server bare-metal restores and disaster recovery
- Web-based interface that is easy to use
Key functions and benefits:
Continual Linux snapshots for outstanding recovery point objective (RPO) granularity
AppAssure Agent for Linux snapshot technology essentially eliminates backup windows and allows administrators to back up a server as frequently as every 15 minutes. This creates many more RPOs than traditional backup technologies are capable to reduce potential data loss from as much as a day to just minutes.
AppAssure manages your Linux servers from a Web-based central management console that runs on a Web browser-enabled device.
AppAssure recoveries take minutes, rather than hours. It eliminates the need for time-consuming manual system rebuilds followed by file restores.
AppAssure’s archiving feature enables long-term data retention for SLA and regulatory compliance. The backup archives can be stored on low-cost storage. Archive data is deduplicated, compressed and encrypted, and spans across multiple devices.
AppAssure 5 Central Management Console
AppAssure 5 Agent
|Operating System||Windows Distributions|
Microsoft Exchange Support
Microsoft SQL Support
Dell ProSupportYour Dell AppAssure software includes Dell™ ProSupport™*, Dell’s premium software support which provides access to back-up and recovery experts available around the clock and around the globe.
ProSupport provides a breadth of capabilities and resources intended to maximize the benefits of your Dell AppAssure software to ensure your satisfaction. Our comprehensive support structure, means your time is spent less on issue resolution — resulting in greater productivity for your organization.
From live phone support to email and online ticket submission, Dell provides support that fits your needs and schedule so you can operate more efficiently. With ProSupport you:
- Keep software up-to-date — access to critical patches, updates, and new product upgrades
- Beyond troubleshooting — assistance with how-to information, configuration issues and best practice recommendations
- Resolve issues fast — minimize downtime with the global scale and expertise of Dell ProSupport technicians available 24x7
Today’s IT organizations are often stretched too thin — consumed with administrative tasks that take time away from more business critical initiatives. We can help. Let us install your AppAssure software and get you up and running quickly with minimal effort with our remote installation package options.
Remote Installation Services
- Basic Remote Installation Service includes:
- Installation and configuration of a single core server and up to 4 agents
- Day-to-day backup and recovery management tasks
- Overview of AppAssure technology and support infrastructure
- All of the above, plus ONE of the following:
- Export to VM implementation
- Replication implementation
- Bare metal restore set up
- Advanced Remote Installation Service includes all services in the Basic package above PLUS:
- Configuration of your retention policy and AppAssure reports
- Disaster recovery testing and validation