More performance, less investment.
- Internal Storage
24 x 2.5” drive bays
Supported expansion enclosures
Dell SC200: 12 x 3.5” drive bays
Dell SC220: 24 x 2.5” drive bays
Dell SC280: 84 x 3.5” drive bays
Maximum drive count
192 (24 internal, plus 168 external)
Total storage capacity
1.054PB, more in federated systems*
Supported drive types
HDD: 15K, 10K, 7.2K RPM; SSD: write-intensive and read-intensive drives in SLC, MLC and TLC formats. Drive types can be mixed in the same system.
2 hot-swappable controller modules per SC4020 chassis
Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1265L v2, 2.50GHz, 4 cores
32GB per SC4020 array (16GB per controller)
Network/server connectivity (front-end)
Fibre Channel model: 8 x 8Gb FC ports per SC4020 array (4 per controller) or 4 x 16Gb FC ports per SC4020 array (2 per controller); simultaneous multiprotocol support available with optional upgrade to firmware v6.6. Management/Replication ports may also provide two ports of front-end iSCSI network I/O per controller.
iSCSI model: 4 x 10Gb iSCSI ports per SC4020 array (2 per controller); additional iSCSI network connectivity available with optional upgrade to firmware v6.6. Management/Replication ports may also provide two more ports of front-end iSCSI per controller.
Internal drive connectivity (back-end)
4 x 6Gb SAS ports per SC4020 array (2 per controller)
NAS deployment connectivity (optional)
Supports file-based storage via FS8600 NAS appliance
- Product OS
Storage Center 6.5 or greater
All-flash, hybrid or HDD arrays
Policy-based migration based on real-time data usage, customizable 512KB-4MB page size.
Up to 3 primary (media-based) tiers total, up to 2 SSD tiers (write- and read-intensive SSDs)
User-defined profiles, option to “pin” volumes to any tier
RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, RAID 10, and RAID 10 DM (Dual Mirror); any combination of RAID levels can exist on a single array
Auto-provisions and dynamically restripes multiple RAID levels on the same tier; no need to pre-allocate RAID groups
Active by default on all volumes, operates at full performance across all features
Records changes only, snapshots auto-migrate to lower-cost storage
Intelligent deduplication and compression
Selectable option per volume on SSD and/or HDD tiers
Compression-only option also available
Synchronous/Asynchronous using FC or iSCSI
Federated multi-array systems
Live Migrate (included in base product) enables host-transparent data movement among arrays
Volume Advisor continually monitors federation to suggest optimal data placement based on custoizable capacity or performance load balancing policies
Dell Storage Manager provides data center-level viewpoint and control
Coexistence with PS Series arrays
Replication in either direction
Day-to-day management from a single interface
Thin import: space-efficient, non-disruptive data migration from PS Series arrays
Live Volume auto-failover, auto-repair
VMware Metro Stretch Cluster support
Microsoft® Azure Site Recovery
Application data protection
Restore host-side data from array in Oracle, Microsoft or VMware environments
Self-encrypting drives (SEDs) in SSD or HDD formats
Full Disk Encryption (FCE) based on AES-256
Drives certified to FIPS 140-2 Level 2
Key Management Server (KMS) options available for FIPS 140-2 Level 1, 2 and 3
External key manager support
Gemalto’s SafeNet KeySecure k460, SafeNet KeySecure k250, SafeNet KeySecure k150v
Thales EMS 200
- Management interface
Dell Storage Manager, formerly Enterprise Manager
Multi-array, multi-site, cross-platform management from single interface*
Microsoft PowerShell API
Host OS support
Microsoft® Windows Server®, Oracle® Solaris, HP®-UX, Oracle Linux, IBM® AIX®, Novell® NetWare, SLES, Apple, HPTru64, VMware®, Citrix® XenServer®, RedHat®
Third-party application integration
VMware, Oracle, Microsoft, IBM, OpenStack, Symantec, Commvault, Foglight, Docker (see SC Series Management spec sheet for more details)
VMware Metro Stretch Clusters
IBM VIOS Recognized
Support assist (phone home), remote diagnostics and performance monitoring, automated alerts, reports and notifications, departmental chargeback
- Power/wattage: 2 hot-swappable 580W power supplies; 580W maximum power
Heat dissipation: 1,978 BTU/hr maximum
Voltage: 100-240 VAC
Frequency: 50/60 Hz
Amperage: 7.6-3.0 A
- Rack size: 2U
Height: 8.79 cm (3.46 inches)
Width: 48.2 cm (18.98 inches)
Depth: 54.68 cm (21.53 inches)
Weight at maximum configuration: 24 kg (53 lb)
Weight empty: 7 kg (15.4 lb)
Environmental Operating Conditions
- Operating temperature: 50 - 95°F (10 - 35°C)
Non-operating temperature: -40 - 149°F (-40 - 65°C)
Operating humidity ranges (non-condensing): 10% to 80% with 29°C (84.2°F) maximum dew point
Non-operating humidity (non-condensing): 5% to 95% with 33°C (91°F) maximum dew point
Inlet type: NEMA 5-15/CS22.2, n°42
- Virtualized architecture eliminates need to pre-allocate RAID groups, increases overall flexibility
- Automated tiering among diverse media types* lets you buy fewer and less-expensive drives to meet your performance and capacity needs
- Space-efficient snapshots, remote synchronous/asynchronous replication and Fast Track disk optimization maximize every drive investment
- Grow to 192 drives (over 1PB raw capacity) per array with optional expansion enclosures
- Included Live Migrate “storage hypervisor” feature lets you move volumes non-disruptively between arrays without remapping hosts
- Simultaneous NAS support with optional FS8600 gateway
- Coexists in PS Series environments under common management
- Protects data with optional FIPS-certified self-encrypting SSDs and HDDs
- Maps resources to business priorities with QoS and VMware Virtual Volumes (VVol) support
Dell Storage SC200
|Dell Storage SC220|
• (24) 2.5" drive slots
• 2U rack size
• 368.64TB max capacity per enclosure
• 6Gb SAS (dual modules) controller-enclosure connection
• Supports intermixed drives
• SSDs: 200GB/400GB/480GB/800GB/960GB/1.6TB/1.92TB/ 3.84TB/15.36TB
• HDDs: 300GB/600GB 15K, 900GB/1.2TB/1.8TB 10K and 1TB 7.2K
• Compatible with SC9000, SC8000, SC7020 and SC4020 controllers
Dell Storage SC280
- Over 10:1 capacity savings with intelligent deduplication and compression*
- Federated data control with Live Migrate
- Seamless business continuity with Live Volume auto-failover between arrays
- Unified management and cross-platform replication between SC and PS Series arrays
- Quality-of-Service (QoS), VMware Virtual Volumes (VVols) support, iSCSI Datacenter Bridging (DCB)* and more…
Key SC Series OS and software advantages are summarized below. See individual spec sheets and product documentation for additional features and specific platform support.
As data ages, it’s moved to less expensive storage until it becomes more active again. All-flash and hybrid arrays can leverage the unique attibutes of write- and read-intensive SSDs in combination. Data is precisely where it’s needed, when it’s needed – the perfect combination of high IOPs and cost savings.
Live Volume auto-failover offers a native business continuity solution, providing volume-level protection from unplanned outages with no need for additional hardware or software.
And, to avoid data loss or compromise from physical security breaches, the SC Series offers a complete range of FIPS 140-2 certified self-encrypting drives (SEDs) in both SSD and HDD formats, plus support for leading third-party key managers.
DSM also allows you to perform day-to-day tasks across SC and PS Series arrays from a single management interface. Easy-to-use data replication and migration between platforms gives PS customers flexibility to add SC arrays to their environment, if and when they choose.
• 24x7 access to highly trained Dell Copilot Support engineers
• Priority or next business day on-site response by certified technicians
• Priority, next business day or UPS ground delivery of replacement parts
• Storage system monitoring via integrated SupportAssist technology
Dell Copilot Support enables you to choose the right level of phone support, on-site* support and parts delivery for your unique business needs.
Call center: Perfect for enterprise storage environments that need immediate phone assistance. Every call is answered by a highly trained Copilot engineer who takes ownership of the entire storage infrastructure, including third-party technology partner products.
On-site: Choose from priority (4/8/24-hour, depending on location) or next business day on-site* response by a certified technician.
Parts delivery: Choose from priority (4/8/24-hour, depending on location) or next business day parts delivery. UPS ground shipping also available.
For your data management and protection, Dell Copilot Support offers warranty* protection for hardware components. The Software Subscription includes perpetual software licensing for patches, updates and releases, so the only additional fees you incur are when adding new functionality or more capacity.
Additionally, Dell Copilot SupportAssist provides enhanced proactive support capabilities through:
• Remote monitoring of system capacity and performance
• Automatic capacity threshold alerts
• Proactive calls from Copilot engineer to notify customer of possible issues
• Storage infrastructure consolidation within one/multiple data centers
• Storage infrastructure optimization for virtual environments
• Data protection process development or improvement of backup operational processes
• Classification and categorization of data for storage tiering
• IT Disaster Recovery planning, design and implementation or simply Data Disaster Recovery
Combining centralized support, product education and sales resources, Dell Copilot Services includes 24x7 active system monitoring to help improve performance and stability.
* Based on Microsoft Exchange JetStress 2013 testing of 24 x 900GB 10K RPM drive SC4020 configuration in February 2014 in Dell Labs. Actual results will vary.