High-performance, efficient and scalable Dell Compellent SAN.
Enhance storage performance, efficiency and scalability with the next-generation Dell Compellent SC8000 Storage Center Controller.
- Storage capacity: Up to 960 drives (3PB raw capacity) per dual-controller system; larger capacity available in clustered systems using Live Volume*
Memory: Up to 128GB total available cache per dual-controller system; larger cache capacity available in clustered systems using Live Volume*
2.5” drives: Up to 24 drives per SC220 expansion enclosure
3.5” drives: Up to 12 per SC200 expansion enclosure, 84 per SC280 expansion enclosure
- Two 2.5GHz 6-core Intel™ processors per controller
- Per dual-controller system; multiple systems may be clustered using Live Volume*
Fibre Channel (4Gb, 8Gb, 16Gb), iSCSI (1Gb, 10Gb), FCoE (10Gb)
Simultaneous interface support
Maximum Front-End Ports
16 (Fibre Channel), 10 (1Gb iSCSI), 10 (10Gb iSCSI), 10 (FCoE) per controller. NOTE: SC8000 controller can support up to 16 FC front-end ports with 4-port low-profile SAS back-end IO option.
SAS (6Gb & 3Gb), Fibre Channel (2Gb, 4Gb, 8Gb)
Maximum Back-End Ports
16 (Fibre Channel), 20 (SAS) per controller – NOTE: No SATA ports, FC and SATA enclosures are connected to FC8 IO card.
Fibre Channel and SATA expansion enclosures connect to SC8000 via Fibre Channel IO expansion card
- Drive Interfaces
SAS and NL-SAS drives. Also backwards compatible with existing Compellent Fibre Channel and SATA drives.
Different drive types, transfer rates and rotational speeds can be mixed in same system
- Supports RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, RAID 10, and RAID 10 DM (Dual Mirror) Any combination of RAID levels can exist on a single Storage Center
Multiple RAID levels can exist on the same storage tier within an array
- Storage Controller
Rack size: 2U
Height: 87.3 mm (3.44 inch)
Width: 482.4 mm (18.98 inch) with rack latches
444 mm (17.08 inch) without rack latches
Depth: 755.8 mm (29.75 inch) with bezel
Weight: 19.73 kg (43.5 lbs)
ReadyRails™ II static rails for tool-less mounting in 4-post racks with square or unthreaded round holes or tooled mounting in 4-post threaded-hole racks
Environmental Operating Conditions
- SC8000 Controller:
Power: Dual, Redundant 750W 80 plus® Platinum certified power supplies
Maximum Power: 425W
Max Heat Dissipation: 1,450 BTU/hr
Operating Temperature: 50 - 95°F (10 - 35°C)
Non-Operating Temperature: -40 - 149°F (-40 - 65°C)
Operating Humidity Ranges (non-condensing): Operating, 20% to 80%
Non-Operating Humidity (non-condensing): 5% to 95%
Inlet Type: NEMA 5-15/CS22.2, n°42
FCC Class A; EN55022 Class A; EN 61000-3-2/-3-3; CISPR 22 Class A; EN55024/CISPR 24; (EN 61000-4-2, EN 61000-4-3, EN 61000-4-4, EN 61000-4-5, EN 61000-4-6, EN 61000-4-8, EN 61000-4-11); EN60950/IEC 60950 Compliant UL Listed (USA), CUL Listed (Canada), TUV Certified (Germany), CE Marking (Europe)
- Product Safety, EMC and Environmental Datasheets
Dell Regulatory Compliance Home Page
Dell and the Environment
The Dell SC8000 Storage Center Controller, SC200/SC220 Expansion Enclosures, and SC280 Dense Enclosure have earned the ENERGY STAR Data Center Storage designation. Click here to learn more about the ENERGY STAR Storage 1.0 designation*.
Heightened flexibilityHelp extend the life of your storage investments with Compellent Storage Center solutions. Flexible, non-disruptive storage options including flash-optimized solutions that offer flash at the price of disk*, enable your data center to grow seamlessly without forklift upgrades.
- Simultaneous iSCSI, Fibre Channel (FC) and Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) front-end interconnects
- Controls SAS and FC drive enclosures, including those with write-intensive and read-intensive SSDs in SLC, MLC and TLC formats
- Scales up to 960 SAS drives in multiple enclosures per dual-controller system and scales-out to many systems across numerous sites, monitored by a single console
- Seamlessly integrates with the FS8600 NAS appliance for fully interoperable block and file storage solutions
Enhanced performance and densityExperience the combined benefits of Dell Compellent architecture and a resilient Dell hardware design that offers improved performance and increased memory over previous generation Dell Compellent controllers.
- 2U rack chassis with dual six-core, 2.5GHz (with Turbo) Intel® Xeon® E5-2640 CPUs
- 16GB* to 64GB* total available cache per controller, with a maximum 128GB* per dual controller system (a dual controller configuration is required to support full high-availability and failover capabilities in production environments)
- Six PCIe Gen3-enabled expansion slots to extend I/O capabilities for future growth
- Integrated Dell Remote Access Controller (iDRAC7 Enterprise) to add hardware and environmental monitoring capabilities to the Storage Center solution
- Storage Center Operating System 64-bit support for improved scalability and performance
Enhanced software protects and powers your dataStorage Center 6.5 ensures simplified network management, excellent security and higher availability. Recovery point objective (RPO) and recovery time objective (RTO) are less than five minutes, enhancing business continuity and lowering overall costs.
- Data at rest encryption with self-encrypting drives (SEDs)
- Synchronous and asynchronous live volume replication
- Mulit-VLAN tagging
- FIPS 140-2 certified
- Manual recovery and failover
- Straightforward software upgrades and perpetual software licensing enable consistent, seamless growth.
- Allows the Dell Compellent Storage Center to reach performance levels over 300,000 IOPS*.
- Achieve greater than 100,000 IOPS with sub-millisecond latency when running OLTP workloads*.
- Dynamic Capacity allows thin provisioning of any size virtual volume without consuming physical capacity until data is written to disk.
- Data Instant Replay ensures that once an initial snapshot of a volume is taken, only incremental changes in data need to be captured.
- Data Progression writes active blocks of data to Tier 1 storage while automatically migrating inactive blocks of data to lower-tier storage with high protection.
- Fast Track places data on the appropriate tracks within individual hard drives in the drive enclosures.
- Enterprise Manager simplifies network storage management by providing a single, centralized console for administering multiple local and remote Storage Center SANs.
- Remote Instant Replay provides continuous data protection by replicating only incremental changes in data following initial site synchronization. This method of Thin Replication helps keep hardware expenses in check.
- Live Volume allows moving and sharing storage volumes between two separate systems without disruption.
Global services and supportDell Services can help reduce IT complexity, lower costs and eliminate inefficiencies by making IT and business solutions work harder for you. The Dell Services team delivers distinctive capabilities, including Copilot support and optimization as well as full data migration solutions to facilitate consolidation from multiple file systems. Dell takes a holistic view of your needs and designs solutions for your environment and business objectives while using established delivery methods, local talent and in-depth domain knowledge to help lower your total cost of ownership.
Dell Storage SC Series expansion enclosures
SC8000 supports non-disruptive expansion to 960 drives (over 3PB raw capacity) per array, with even larger capacities available in federated multi-array configurations. Flash and/or HDD tiers are supported to meet specific performance, cost or density needs using any combination of the following expansion enclosures.
Dell Storage SC200
| Dell Storage SC220 |
Dell Storage SC280
A new level of Storage Center efficiencyThe latest Dell Storage Center OS builds on the SC Series legacy while delivering even better performance, efficiency and scalability. Features include:
- Seamless disaster recovery and zero workload downtime with Live Volume auto-failover
- Multi-array federation capability
- Integrated server-side caching to bring data closer to compute
- Application Protection Manager Suite offering enhanced data integrity for Oracle, Microsoft and VMware environments
- Data-at-rest encryption on the same array with industry-standard key management
- Multi-VLAN tagging for efficient data and security separation between network traffic
- LDAP support for easy access and maintenance
- Space and cost savings with auto-tiering and "thin methods" (provisioning, snapshots, clones and more)
Data Progression: Automated tiered storageBased on actual use and application performance requirements, SC Series Data Progression automatically optimizes your drive tiers and RAID levels. By default, all new data is written to fastest Tier 1 drives at RAID 10 performance levels, then converted to economical RAID 5/6 for subsequent reads.
As data ages, it is moved to less expensive storage until it becomes active again. All-flash and hybrid arrays can leverage the unique attributes of write- and read-intensive SSDs in combination. Data is precisely where it’s needed, when it’s needed – the perfect combination of high IOPS and cost savings.
Space savings in the data centerThe SC Series offers Dynamic Capacity (thin provisioning) that completely separates storage allocation from utilization, enabling you to allocate any size storage volume up front while only consuming physical capacity on write. For data protection or "thin replication," Data Instant Replays solve tradeoff issues between snapshot granularity and capacity cost savings. Remote Instant Replay leverages the same space-efficient snapshots to deliver a cost-effective disaster recovery solution between local and remote sites.
Additionally, intelligent block-level compression – with up to 93% capacity savings* – is available on HDD and SSD arrays that fully integrate with Data Progression auto-tiering for maximum cost savings and minimum performance impact.
Business continuityFor seamless disaster recovery, easy storage migrations or the creation of federated multi-array systems, the Storage Center Live Volume feature acts as a "storage hypervisor," allowing data to be copied or moved between arrays with no interruption to host access. New auto-failover capability gives you full volume-level protection from unplanned outages with no need for additional hardware or software.
To help avoid physical security breaches, many organizations and government agencies are focusing on data-at-rest encryption. The SC Series offers a complete range of FIPS 140-2 certified self-encrypting drives (SEDs) in both SSD and HDD formats, plus support for leading third-party key managers.
Intuitive management at your fingertipsSC Series arrays include a unified, point-and-click interface that cuts administration time and eliminates the need for specialized skills. Repetitive, time-consuming tasks are automated so data center staff can focus on other important projects.
Enterprise Manager simplifies storage resource management by providing comprehensive monitoring and management of all local and remote Dell SC Series Storage Center systems. With advanced features like departmental "charge-back" reporting, you can gain instant visibility and control of a multi-terabyte, multilocation environment, streamlining administration and reducing operating costs. You can also easily migrate data from PS Series (EqualLogic) to SC Series.
With the introduction of Application Protection Manager for Oracle, you can create application-consistent Replays for Oracle databases. Combined with Storage Center Data Instant Replay (DIR), it will ensure reliable application consistent backup and recovery of Oracle and Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) enabled applications (Exchange, SQL and Hyper-V®) and VMware virtual machines (VMs).
Award-winning service with over 96 percent customer satisfaction
Dell Compellent™ Copilot Support delivers proactive, comprehensive 24x7 technical support that covers the storage center infrastructure. Operating out of a state-of-the-art U.S. call center, Dell Compellent Copilot engineers continuously monitor system performance and alert customers of potential issues. Dell Compellent Copilot Support provides:
- 24x7 access to highly trained Dell Compellent Copilot Support engineers.
- Priority or next business day on-site response by Dell Compellent-certified technicians.
- Priority, next business day or UPS ground delivery of replacement parts.
- Storage system monitoring via integrated SupportAssist technology.
|Speed of response||Protection||Premium proactive|
|Call center: A phone call away — Perfect for enterprise storage environments where immediate phone assistance by a highly trained support engineer is a must to speed issue resolution and avoid unplanned downtime.|
On-site: Priority or next business day — Choose from priority (4/8/24-hour, depending on location) or next business day on-site* response by a Dell Compellent-certified technician.
Parts delivery: Priority or next business day — Choose from priority (4/8/24-hour, depending on location) or next business day parts delivery. UPS ground shipping also available.
|Data management and protection ||SupportAssist — Provides enhanced proactive support capabilities through:|
Dell Compellent ServicesDell Services storage experts go beyond everyday administration to help you improve the performance and utilization of your Dell Compellent Storage Center system. The Dell Compellent Services portfolio provides system installation and implementation, as well as training. From disaster recovery planning to physical relocation, the Dell Services team is available to provide professional assistance when you need it.
- Dell Compellent Deployment. Implement fast. Implement correctly. Implement once. No need for your IT staff to spend time researching correct processes and advanced configuration task sequences or purchasing the correct tools. We can reduce costs and relieve your IT department of the time-consuming implementation tasks that otherwise divert valuable IT resources from business-critical activities.
We bring two unmatched values to every implementation: deep knowledge of our products and broad experience deploying them. We do thousands of deployments every year across the globe, in just about every type of customer environment. From this vast experience we have acquired best practices that are integrated into our processes. As a result, we are very well aware of what undocumented activity must occur to avoid mistakes. In addition to doing it right the first time, we rarely encounter situations or issues for which we are not prepared. So, you can be confident your new Dell Compellent storage system is installed properly, configured per the design specifications and that your data is migrated safely from your legacy storage system without disrupting operations or end users.
- Dell Compellent Copilot Optimize. Through the personal assistance of a dedicated support expert, we help you improve system utilization and performance with proactive reviews, health checks and evaluations, as well as advanced configuration and software support. Ensure a highly available and optimal performing storage area network (SAN) through ongoing best practice guidance while minimizing diagnostic troubleshooting and reducing service calls.
Dell Education Services
Decrease downtime, improve utilization and ensure business continuity with storage training from Dell Education Services. With Compellent training from Dell, Compellent Administrators will learn to perform key administrative tasks for a Compellent Storage Center and effectively manage all tools associated with Storage Center operations.
Dell Storage Consulting Services
Storage consulting from Dell helps customers develop transformational strategies to meet their complex data management business needs. By engaging Dell, customers can optimize the way that data is stored, protected and managed, allowing customers to free up valuable resources, budget and time. Here are just some of the areas with which we can assist you:
- The consolidation of storage infrastructure within one/multiple data centers
- The optimization of storage infrastructure for virtual environments
- The development and adoption of data protection processes or improvement of backup operational processes
- The classification and categorization of data for storage tiering
- The planning, design and implementation of an IT Disaster Recovery plan or simply Data Disaster Recovery
ProDeploy Enterprise Suite* offers a full range of deployment services and professional certifications to help you get more out of your technology starting on day one. Choose ProDeploy Plus for the most complete deployment offer available in the market, ProDeploy for expert configuration and installations, or Basic Deployment for worry-free hardware installations.