High-performance, high-density iSCSI SAN for capacity-intensive primary applications.
The Dell™ EqualLogic™ PS6500X is a high-performance internet SCSI (iSCSI) storage array capable of meeting large data storage requirements.
- High-density serial attached SCSI (SAS) 10,000 rpm array with up to 43.2TB of storage capacity in a dense 4U chassis
- Requires less power at peak and releases fewer BTUs per hour (requiring less cooling) when compared with a similarly configured storage area network (SAN)
- Scales up to 691.2TB under a single, intuitive management interface
- Enhanced security with self-encrypting drives (SED)
- Storage Controllers
Dual controllers with 2GB non-volatile memory per controller
Hard Disk Drives
48 SAS hot-pluggable hard disk drives
10,000 RPM SAS drives available in 600GB*
10,000 RPM SAS or SAS SED drives available in 900GB*
28.8TB* using forty-eight (48) 600GB* SAS disk drives
43.2TB* using forty-eight (48) 900GB* SAS or SAS SED disk drives
Up to 1,024
512 per volume / up to 10,000 total
Hosts Accessing PS Series Group
Up to 1,024 per pool / 4,096 per group
Any standards compliant iSCSI initiator
Operating Systems Supported
Microsoft® Windows Server® including Hyper-V®For a complete list of supported OS versions including software initiators, NICs/CNAs, and HBAs, see the EqualLogic Compatibility Matrix on http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/storage/w/wiki/2661.equallogic-compatibility-matrix-07262013.aspx.
VMware® ESX Server™
Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® (RHEL)
SUSE® Enterprise Linux® (SLES)
Mac OS® X
RAID 5, RAID 6, RAID 10, RAID 50*
GbE Network Interfaces
Interface ports: Four 1000BASE-T ports per controller, one may be used for management purposes
TCP Network Support
IPv4, IPv6 core support including JITC
Can be combined with other EqualLogic PS Series arrays in the same SAN group, online. Up to 16 total members per group.
- Redundant hot-swappable controllers
Hot-swappable disks and power supplies
Enclosure Monitoring System
- Redundant, hot-swappable controllers, power supplies / cooling fans, and disks
Individual disk drive slot power control
- SAN HeadQuarters multi-group performance and event monitoring tool
SNMP, telnet, SSH, HTTP, Web (SSL), host scripting
Ability to configure a separate management network
- CHAP authentication
Access control for iSCSI
Access control for management interfaces including RADIUS support
- SNMP traps, e-mail, syslog
- AC voltage: 100-240 VAC ±10% single phase
Frequency: 47-63 Hz
Power factor: 0.95 (minimum)
Power consumption: 1000 VA, 1200 Peak VA (operating maximum)
Heat dissipation: 3,400 BTU per hour (maximum)
Power supplies: Three 440W dc
- Height: 17.5 cm / 6.89 in / 4 EIA units
Width: 48.3 cm / 19.01 in / 1EC Rack Compliant
Depth: 96 cm / 37.8 in
Weight: 74.8 kg / 165 lb
Environmental Operating Conditions
- Temperature range: 5 to 35°C / 41 to 95°F
Storage temperature: -20 to 60°C / -22 to 140°F
Altitude: -70 to 3,000 m operational / -305 to 12,192 m non-operational
Relative humidity: 20 to 80% non-condensing operational / 5 to 95% non-condensing non-operational
Shock: 5 g 10 ms ½ sine operational / 20g 10 ms ½ sine, Z axis only non-operational
Vibration: Random .21 grms @ 5-500Hz operational / Random 1.04 grms 2-200Hz non-operational
Acoustics: LwA 6.6 Bels
Air Quality: Airborne contaminant level of G2 or lower as defined by ISA-S71.04-1985
Dell EqualLogic PS6500XThe Dell EqualLogic PS6500X is a virtualized iSCSI SAN that combines intelligence and automation with fault tolerance to provide simplified administration, rapid deployment, enterprise performance and reliability, and seamless scalability. With 10,000 RPM SAS disk drives that deliver exceptional performance and high capacity that scales up to 691TB, the PS6500X is an excellent choice for performance and capacity-intensive applications.
Whether consolidating a direct attach storage (DAS) infrastructure, migrating data from and existing SAN, streamlining data protection processes or simply adding storage capacity, the Dell EqualLogic family of proven, high-performance, self-managing storage arrays is designed to meet the requirements of today’s critical data center environments.
- EqualLogic Group Manager helps to streamline storage and data management.
- EqualLogic Manual Transfer Utility minimizes downtime when transferring large amounts of data.
- EqualLogic PS Series Firmware is the foundation of the EqualLogic software family.
- Dell Storage Update Manager simplifies the upgrade process with guided update management.
Integrated across the entire family of EqualLogic PS arrays, the EqualLogic Firmware is a SAN operating system based on a unique peer storage architecture that:
- Virtualizes SAN resources
- Enables peer scalability of up to 16 arrays
- Provides intelligent data management functionality
- Automatically adjusts system resources
- Optimizes performance
EqualLogic Host Integration Tools
This family of host-based software provides tight integration between the PS Series array and the host. Dell provides host integration tools for Microsoft®, VMware® and Linux® environments to offer comprehensive data protection and reliable performance.
EqualLogic SAN Headquarters
Dell EqualLogic SAN Headquarters (SAN HQ) is a centralized monitoring and reporting tool that gathers and provides in-depth information on performance and capacity and provides alerts across multiple groups of PS Series arrays. SAN HQ with Support Assist further streamlines management and improves productivity with automatic case creation and case tracking.
Dell Services storage experts go beyond everyday administration to help you improve the performance and utilization of your Dell Storage systems. The Dell Storage Services portfolio provides system installation and implementation as well as training. From disaster recovery planning to physical relocation, the Dell Services team is available to provide professional assistance when you need it.
We recommend Dell ProSupport Plus with SupportAssist for mission-critical systems or Dell ProSupport for comprehensive hardware and software support for your Dell Storage PS Series solution. Contact your Dell representative today for more information*.
• Storage infrastructure consolidation and risk-managed migration for both PS and SC Series systems
• Storage infrastructure optimization for virtual environments
• Data protection process development and backup/restore policies
• Data archiving to address long-term data retention, access and regulatory compliance
• Classification and categorization of data for storage tiering and archival
• Storage high availability and disaster recovery planning, design and implementation