- Up to two Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors, up to 28 cores per processor
- Canonical® Ubuntu® LTS Citrix® XenServer®
Microsoft Windows Server® with Hyper-V Red Hat® Enterprise Linux
SUSE® Linux Enterprise Server VMware® ESXi
- 24 DDR4 DIMM slots, Supports RDIMM /LRDIMM, speeds up to 2666, 3TB max
Up to 12 NVDIMM, 192 GB Max
Supports registered ECC DDR4 DIMMs only
- Front drive bays:
Up to 16 x 2.5” SAS/SATA/SSD, max 60TB
Up to 8 x 3.5” SAS/SATA, max 80TB
- Form factor:
- TPM 1.2/2.0 optional Cryptographically signed firmware
- Network daughter card options:
4 x 1GE or 2 x 10GE + 2 x 1GE or 4 x 10GE or 2 x 25GE
Video, 2 x USB 2.0, available USB 3.0, dedicated IDRAC
Direct Micro-USB Rear ports:
Video, serial, 2 x USB 3.0, dedicated iDRAC network port
Up to 8 x Gen3 slots, Up to 4 x16
- Optional LCD or Security bezel
- Titanium 750W, Platinum 495W, 750W, 1100W, 1600W, and 2000W
48VDC 1100W, 380HVDC 1100W, 240HVDC 750W (China/Japan)
Hot plug power supplies with full redundancy Up to 6 hot plugs fans with full redundancy High performance fans available
- Internal controllers:
PERC H330, H730p, H740p, HBA330, Software RAID (SWRAID) S140
Boot Optimized Storage Subsystem:
HWRAID 2 x M.2 SSDs 120GB, 240 GB
External PERC (RAID):
External HBAs (non-RAID):
12 Gbps SAS HBA
- Embedded / At-the-Server
iDRAC9 with Lifecycle Controller (Express, Enterprise)
iDRAC REST API with Redfish
Quick Sync 2 BLE/wireless module
OpenManage Power Center
iDRAC Service Module
OpenManage Server Administrator
OpenManage Storage Services
Dell EMC Repository Manager
Dell EMC System Update
Dell EMC Server Update Utility
Dell EMC Update Catalogs
Microsoft® System Center
BMC software (available from BMC)
Nagios Core and Nagios XI
HPE Operations Manager i (OMi)
IBM Tivoli® Netcool/OMNIbus
IBM Tivoli® Network Manager IP Edition
General-purpose workhorse optimized for workload accelerationMaximize your application performance with the PowerEdge R740 server, which brings you the perfect balance of accelerator cards, storage and compute resources in a 2U, 2-socket platform. With up to three 300W accelerator cards or six 150W cards, the R740 has the versatility to adapt to virtually any application and provides the optimum platform for VDI deployments. The R740 offers up to 16 x 2.5” or 8 x 3.5” drives and iDRAC9, so you can scale to meet demands and simplify the entire IT lifecycle.
- Private cloud
- Artificial intelligence
- Machine learning
Achieve IT transformation with the Dell EMC PowerEdge portfolioThe R740 is a general-purpose workhorse optimized for workload acceleration. With its versatility, the R740 can help you transform your data center for VDI, artificial intelligence and software-defined storage (SDS).
- Simplify and accelerate VMware vSAN™ deployments with validated, pre-bundled and tailored Ready Nodes.
- Scale compute resources with Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors, delivering a 27% increase in processing cores and 50% increase in bandwidth over previous generation of Xeon processors.*
- Scale your VDI deployments with 3 double-width GPUs, supporting up to 50% more users when compared to R730.*
- Free up storage space using internal M.2 SSDs optimized for boot.
Automate productivity with intelligent, embedded management
Dell EMC automation and intelligent management mean you spend less time on routine maintenance so you can focus on bigger priorities.
- Help maximize uptime with proactive diagnostics and automated remediation that increase productivity up to 90%.*
- Leverage existing management consoles with easy integrations for VMware® vSphere®, Microsoft® System Center and Nagios®.
- Help improve productivity with agent-free Dell EMC iDRAC9 for automated, efficient management.
- Simplify deployment with OpenManage next-generation console and server profiles to fully configure and prep servers in rapid, scalable fashion.
Fortify your data center with comprehensive protectionDell EMC provides a comprehensive, cyber-resilient architecture with security embedded into every server to protect your data.
- Protect server configuration and firmware from malicious changes with new Configuration Lock-down.
- Use system erase of local storage to help ensure data privacy when you repurpose or retire servers.
- Automate updates that check file dependencies and proper update sequence, before deploying them independently from the OS/hypervisor.
- Take control of your firmware consoles with embedded authentication that is designed to allow only properly designed updates to run.