Versatile, high-capacity direct-attached storage DAS
Dell™ PowerVault™ MD1200 direct-attached storage enclosure offers versatility and high-capacity storage for mainstream applications with optimal performance in sequential (streaming) applications.
- Seamless server and primary storage expansion for 6Gb/s SAS environments
- Supports mainstream and capacity-intensive applications such as email, backup to disk and video streaming
- Versatility for investment protection and data tiering
- Up to twelve (12) hot-pluggable SAS Hard Disk Drives (HDDs) at 7200, 10K and 15K rpm and SAS Solid State Drives (SSDs)
3.5" SAS HDDs
15,000 RPM 6Gb/s SAS drives available in 300GB*, 450GB* and 600GB*
7,200 RPM (Nearline) 6Gb/s SAS drives available in 500GB*, 1TB*, 2TB* and 3TB*
Maximum Capacity (per enclosure)
48TB* using 4TB* 3.5" 7,200 RPM 6Gb/s SAS disk drives
PERC H800 Host-RAID adapter enables expansion to 8 enclosures (4 enclosures per port)
- Support for the following configurations:
Unified mode (single path) for daisy chaining of up to 8 enclosures per PERC H800 (4 enclosures per port, single path)
Unified mode (redundant path) for daisy chaining up to 4 enclosures per PERC H800 (4 enclosures connected to both ports via redundant path cabling)
Split mode with dual Enclosure Management Modules providing direct connectivity to drives 0 through 5 and a separate connectivity to drives 6 through 11.
- Refer to RAID Card for details on supported Operating Systems:
8.7cm (3.43 inches)
48.2cm (18.98 inches)
59.4 (23.39 inches)
28.39 kg (62.6 lb) (maximum configuration)
8.84 kg (19.5 lb) (empty)
- Two fully redundant power supplies; supports DC power
Wattage: AC - 600 W; DC – 700 W
Heat dissipation: AC - 2047BTU/hr; DC - 2388 BTU/hr
Voltage: 100-240 VAC, auto sensing; 48V DC
Frequency: 50/60 Hz
Amperage: 8.6 A at 100 V, 4.3 A at 240 V
Available Drive Power (per slot)
Supported drive power consumption (continuous):
up to 1.16 A at +5V
up to 1.6 A +12V
- 2 Enclosure Management Modules(EMM) provide redundant enclosure management capability
Environmental Operating Conditions
Operating: 10° to 35°C (50° to 95°F) with maximum temp gradation of 10°C per hour
Storage: -40° to 65°C (-40° to 149°F) with temp gradation of 20°C per hour
Supports Fresh Air cooling, up to 35 degrees Celsius
Operating: 8% to 85% (non-condensing) with maximum humidity gradation of 10% per hour
Storage: 5% to 95% (non-condensing)
Operating: -16 to 3048 m (-50 to 10,000 ft)
Storage: -16 to 10,600 m (-50 to 35,000 ft)
Expansion for Mainstream and Capacity-Intensive Single Server ApplicationsDell PowerVault MD1200 is the second generation of Dell’s low-cost, high-capacity expansion enclosure that improves density, versatility and performance over previous generation to enhance support for mainstream and capacity-intensive applications.
The PowerVault MD1200 offers seamless expansion for Dell PowerEdge servers with the PERC H800 Host-RAID adapter. It also offers drive flexibility when adding capacity or data tiering to any of Dell's primary storage arrays.
Easily Expand Your Server Capacity: The PowerVault MD1200 is engineered to seamlessly expand the capacity of Dell PowerEdge servers. This expansion enclosure can support twelve, 3.5- or 2.5-inch SAS hard-disk drives (HDDs) or solid-state drives (SSDs)* in a 2U array and expands up to 8 arrays behind a single PERC H800 Host-RAID adapter.
Versatility and Flexibility to Meet Most Business Needs: The MD1200 is Dell’s most versatile direct-attached storage expansion enclosure. Featuring support for 2.5 inch drives, as well as the ability to mix 2.5-inch* and 3.5-inch enclosures behind a single PERC H800 Host-RAID adapter,the PowerVault MD1200 delivers capacity and performance to support most customer deployments.
Support the Business, No Matter the Need
The PowerVault MD1200 supports most mainstream business requirements with added flexibility and versatility to mix 2.5-inch drives in a 3.5-inch enclosure and mix 2.5- and 3.5-inch enclosures behind a single PERC H800 Host-RAID adapter.
Keeping Your Data Safe
Access and accuracy of your data is key to the success of any business. The PowerVault MD1200 has been engineered to help maximize your uptime and security of your data.
Leveraging the PERC H800 RAID ControllerThe PowerVault MD1200 leverages the PERC H800 Host-RAID adapter with the latest PCI Express 2.0 interface, offering excellent performance for enterprise.
- The configuration of the PERC H800 Host-RAID adapter helps to increase reliability and fault tolerance by enabling the software to recognize the entire enclosure as a single unit, regardless of how many disks are activated for storage. With the PERC H800, customers can choose the RAID option that supports their application. The PERC H800 supports RAID levels 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50 and 60.
- Dell PowerVault MD1200 is engineered to work optimally with Dell PowerEdge servers. Dell OpenManage™ Storage Manager Software can manage both the external and internal storage within the server itself.
- Streamlining storage management through a single, common interface helps reduce resource load on the system, and is easier to navigate for the user as well. The PowerVault MD1200 utilizes the same 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch drives as Dell's PowerEdge servers, and the same power supplies and fans as the PowerVault MD1220, helping to reduce the number of spares required.
- The PowerVault MD1220 is supported behind most PowerEdge servers: See PERC H800 server compatibility matrix for a list of currently supported servers.
Dell ServicesDell believes that a well planned and maintained storage infrastructure can support growing data requirements without the corresponding increase in cost and complexity. Intelligent data management allows organizations to optimize the value of their storage investment with a better use of resources. Dell Data Management Services can help customers design, implement, manage and maintain storage infrastructures that satisfy data availability, retention and recovery requirements.
Dell ProSupport* — Fast, reliable support services designed to address the technology challenges you face today. This new support portfolio is focused on your needs, time demands and budgets.
Need professional support services that take care of both you and your employees’ IT needs 24x7? Choose Dell ProSupport.* Dell has been awarded the No.1 position, 30 of the last 38 quarters in the Corporate IT Service & Support Customer Satisfaction Study (2010).
Got an IT staff? Choose Dell ProSupport for IT and get tech-to-tech support, along with 24x7 access to Dell-certified technicians.
Dell ProSupport Service Model
|Dell ProSupport||Dell ProSupport for IT|
|Designed for organizations with limited or no dedicated IT staff.|
|Designed to provide tech-to-tech support for IT professionals, database administrators and internal service desks or helpdesks.|
Next, Dell ProSupport Options align to the way you use technology — rapidly responding to your needs, protecting your investment, your productivity and your sensitive data, and providing value-added proactive support services to reduce the risk and complexity of managing your infrastructure.
|SPEED OF RESPONSE||PROTECTION||PREMIUM PROACTIVE|
|Mission Critical — Perfect for server and storage environments where avoiding unplanned downtime and reducing recovery time through priority response are a must. The package includes priority same day 4-hour onsite service* or optional 2-hour response with 6-hour hardware repair,* Dell’s proven Critical Situation process and emergency dispatch.||Data Management and Protection ||Enterprise-Wide Contract — Provides enhanced proactive capabilities through: |
IT ConsultingData Management Consulting from Dell offers a comprehensive suite of assessment, design and implementation services to help customers get the most from their EqualLogic PS series product, covering data management, application performance, data protection and cost of ownership. Dell consultants can provide practical action-oriented plans, to deliver specific, predictable and measurable outcomes through high-impact, short duration projects.
- Data Management and Technology Assessment: This is an engagement where the Dell consultant gathers and analyzes account, month-end performance, data collection to lay out the best future state consolidation scenarios including iSCSI storage area network (SAN) option. We develop a tailored business case estimating the cost savings gained from the various technology options (iSCSI or Fiber Channel) we recommend.
- Dell/EMC SAN Solution Design (standard and custom): This is the provision of an iSCSI SAN solution design, incorporating array, SAN and integration of key applications. Options for remote/local data protection design to utilize snapshot and replication capabilities, as well as backup integration design are also available.
- Data Migration: We facilitate a well-planned migration from an existing storage entity (DAS, SAN, NAS) to the newly implemented EqualLogic SAN. We use standard tools, established methodology and expert consultants to mitigate associated risk and minimize the downtime for applications.
- EqualLogic Quick Start: A post implementation 2 days on-site assistance to guide customers with best practice recommendations and accelerate the adoption of the feature rich EqualLogic software (SAN HQ, ASM Microsoft® edition, ASM VMware edition) and get the most out of your investment into EqualLogic SAN without delays.
|Customization and SetUp|
Dell Server & Storage Deployment Services
Dell provides a comprehensive set of remote and on-site installation services for PowerEdge and PowerEdge SC servers, as well as PowerVault, Dell | EMC and Dell EqualLogic storage products to help reduce the time required to get your system up and running. These installation services help:
- Speed up deployment
- Supply necessary expertise for correct installation
- Minimize disruptions to your business
Get the skills you need to keep pace in today’s competitive IT environment with comprehensive training courses. Dell offers a vast array of instructor-led classes and online training courses in a range of topics from server maintenance to in-depth technical overviews of specific systems.