This article provides the information on "Dell Systems that ship with BitLocker Enabled Windows 10 May Present an Error When Attempting to Restore the Factory Image".
Microsoft BitLocker enabled when Windows 10 is shipped.
Dell systems that ship with the Windows 10 operating system and are equipped with Trusted Platform Module (TPM) capability will have Microsoft BitLocker encryption enabled from the factory. BitLocker drive encryption prevents the application of image files used to restore the Dell Factory Image.
Decrypt the drive before restoring factory image.
There is no hardware fault with the system and this error is the normal result of attempting an image restore on an encrypted drive.
The error can be easily resolved by disabling Microsoft BitLocker before attempting to restore the factory image.
- Type "BitLocker" in the search panel next to the Start menu icon. Then click on "Manage BitLocker". (See Figure 1.)
Figure 1. - Access BitLocker
- You will see the following screen. Click on "Turn off BitLocker". (See Figure 2.)
Figure 2. - BitLocker Drive Encryption Turn Off Button.
- You will be prompted again at the following screen. Click on "Turn off BitLocker". (See Figure 3.)
Figure 3. - Turn off BitLocker.
- You will see the following screen. (See Figure 4.)
Figure 4. - BitLocker decryption is in progress.
- You must wait for the decryption process to finish. You can check the progress by clicking on the notification. (See Figure 5.)
Figure 5. - BitLocker decrypting
- When the decryption process is complete, you will see the following message. (See Figure 6.)
Figure 6. - Decryption of the drive is now complete
- You may now re-boot to the Windows Recovery Environment and proceed with restoring the Dell Factory Image.
Note: To re-boot to the Windows Recovery Environment, press and hold down the "Shift" key while clicking on "Restart".
- If you wish to re-enable Microsoft BitLocker after restoring the Factory Image, simply follow steps 1 and 2 above and click on "Turn on BitLocker" in the following screen. (See Figure 7.)
Figure 7. - Re-enable BitLocker