Follow the steps below to load print media in Dell 1710 and 1710n laser printers.
Table of Contents:
- Loading the 250-sheet and 550-sheet trays
- Loading the manual feeder
- Using the rear exit
To load paper in the 250 sheet or 550 sheet tray:
Back to Top
- Remove the paper tray.
- Prepare a stack of paper for loading by flexing or fanning it back and forth. Straighten the edges on a level surface.
- Load the paper in to the tray with the side to be printed facing down. Do not fill the tray past the max fill line on the side guides.
- Adjust the width and length guides until they gently touch the edges of the paper.
If you are loading legal or folio size paper, press down on the latch at the back of the tray and expand the tray until the extender locks into place.
- Insert the paper tray.
- Expand the paper support on the output bin.
The manual feeder is located at the front of your printer and can only feed one sheet of print media at a time. You can use the manual feeder to make quick runs of paper types or sizes that are not currently loaded in the paper tray.
To load the manual feeder:
- Place a sheet of the selected print media, print side facing up, at the centre of the manual feeder, but only to the point where its leading edge can contact the paper guides. Otherwise, the printer will engage the print media too soon and likely skew the print job.
- Adjust the paper guides to the print media's width.
- Hold both sides of the print media close to the manual feeder and push it into the printer until it automatically engages. There is a brief pause between the time the printer engages the print media and when it feeds into the printer. Do not force the print media into the feeder. Forcing the media causes jams.
Back to Top
- Insert envelopes with the flap side face down and with the stamp area on the top right side.
- Hold transparencies by the edges and avoid touching the print side. Oils from your fingers that are deposited on the transparency can affect print quality.
- Load letterhead face-up, with the top of the sheet entering the printer first.
- If you experience problems with paper feed, turn the paper around.
The single-sheet rear exit provides a straight-through paper path to help reduce curling and potential jams. This is especially useful for special media, such as transparencies, envelopes, labels, card stock, or index cards.
To use the rear exit, open the rear exit door. When the rear exit door is open, all print media comes out the rear exit. When closed, all media is sent to the output bin on top of the printer.
Back to Top
More information can be found in the User Guide
for your model printer, or visit our Printer Support site
for additional information, troubleshooting articles and videos.
Purchase Toner and other Dell Laser Printer Supplies
(select your country in the dropdown shown)
It is recommended that only Dell Branded toner, drums, transfer rollers or other consumables are used in our laser printers. Dell cannot guarantee compatibility or the print quality of any 3rd party consumables.