This article provides information on Dell OptiPlex 790/990 failing to boot when the SATA Hard Disk Drive (HDD) controller is set to the ATA mode.
OptiPlex 790/990 may fail to boot when the HDD controller is set to the ATA mode.
This issue only appears when using the ATA mode, the issue will go away SATA operation is set to RAID ON or AHCI. Please refer to the list below detailing the drive configurations and failure symptoms.
- sata0 = disable, sata1 = HDD, sata2 = ODD, system no post with SG-1200 error
- sata0 = enable, sata1 = HDD, sata2 = ODD, system unable to boot from HDD with prompt selected boot device failed, press any key…..
- sata0 = HDD, sata1 = ODD, sata2 = HDD, system boot from HDD on sata0 regardless of which boot device is selected.
- sata0 = ODD, sata1 = HDD, sata2 = HDD, system boot from HDD on sata2 regardless of which boot device is selected
Flash the BIOS to resolve
To resolve this issue on these systems it is recommended that the BIOS be updated to version A07 or higher.
Follow the steps below to download and install the latest BIOS update for your computer:
- Go to the Dell Support Website / Drivers & Downloads.
- Make sure your correct Dell system model and operating system are chosen.
- Select BIOS from the Category drop-down menu.
- The latest BIOS update will show in the menu. Click the View Details link which will take you to further information on the file, as well as Installation instructions for downloading and installing the update.