Optimized scalability and performance
Increase storage scalability and performance with up to 24 NVMe drives and a total of 32 x 2.5” or 18 x 3.5”drives in a 2U dual-socket platform.
Optimize flexibility and densityBenefit from scalable storage performance and data set processing with the PowerEdge R740xd server. This 2U, 2-socket platform brings you scalability and performance to adapt to a variety of applications. Choose up to 24 NVMe drives, or a total of 32 x 2.5” or 18 x 3.5” drives. As you scale your deployments, scale your productivity with embedded intelligence and automation from iDRAC9 and the entire OpenManage portfolio designed to simplify the IT lifecycle from deployment to retirement.
- Software-defined storage
- Big Data server
- Service providers: data tier
Accomplish IT transformation with Dell EMC PowerEdge serversTransform your data center for modern applications and operations with the help of the R740xd. Storage performance and flexibility create the perfect balance for software-defined storage or data set processing and analytics.
- Simplify deployment and easily scale from 3 to 1000+ nodes for software-defined storage with Dell EMC Ready Node for ScaleIO.
- Maximize storage performance with up to 24 NVMe drives and ensure application performance scales to meet demands.
- Drive demanding workloads with 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors and Intel® Optane™ DC Persistent Memory.
Automate productivity with intelligent, embedded managementDell EMC automation and intelligent management mean you spend less time on routine maintenance so you can focus on bigger priorities.
- Help maximize uptime and reduce the IT effort to resolve issues by up to 72%* with ProSupport Plus and SupportAssist.
- Leverage existing management consoles with easy integrations for VMware® vSphere®, Microsoft® System Center and Nagios®.
- Help improve productivity with agent-free Dell EMC iDRAC9 for automated, efficient management.
- Simplify deployment with Open Manage next-generation console and server profiles to fully configure and prep servers in rapid, scalable fashion.
Fortify your data center with comprehensive protectionDell EMC provides a comprehensive, cyber-resilient architecture with security embedded into every server to protect your data.
- Protect server configuration and firmware from malicious changes with new Configuration Lock-down.
- Use system erase of local storage to help ensure data privacy when you repurpose or retire servers.
- Automate updates that check file dependencies and proper update sequence, before deploying them independently from the OS/hypervisor.
- Maintain control of server updates with intelligent, embedded authentication designed to allow only properly signed updates.
- Up to two 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors with up to 28 cores per processor
- Canonical® Ubuntu® Server LTS
Citrix® Hypervisor ®
Microsoft® Windows Server® with Hyper-V
Red Hat® Enterprise Linux
SUSE® Linux Enterprise Server
- Up to three 300W or six 150W GPUs
Up to three double-wide FPGAs or four single-wide
GPU and FPGA options available only on 24 x 2.5”
drive chassis. Up to two GPUs are supported on NVMe configurations.
- DIMM Speed
Up to 2933MT/s
DCPMM (Intel® Optane™ DC persistent memory)
Memory Module Slots
24 DDR4 DIMM slots (12 NVDIMM or 12 DCPMM only)
Supports registered ECC DDR4 DIMMs only
DCPMM 6.14TB (7.68TB with LRDIMM)
- Front Bays
Up to 24 x 2.5” SAS/SSD/NVMe, max 184TB
Up to 12 x 3.5” SAS, max 192TB
Up to 4 x 3.5” SAS, max 64TB
Up to 4 x 2.5” SAS/SSD, max 30.72TB
Up to 4 x 2.5” SAS/SSD, max 30.72TB
Up to 2 x 3.5” SAS, max 32TB
- Internal Controllers:
PERC H330, H730P, H740P, HBA330
External Controllers (RAID):
H840, 12 Gbps SAS HBA
Boot Optimized Storage Subsystem (BOSS):
HWRAID 2 x M.2 SSDs 240GB, 480 GB
Internal Dual SD Module
- Embedded / At-the-Server
iDRAC RESTful API with Redfish
Quick Sync 2 BLE/wireless module
OpenManage Power Center
Dell EMC RACADM CLI
Dell EMC Repository Manager
Dell EMC System Update
Dell EMC Server Update Utility
Dell EMC Update Catalogs
iDRAC Service Module
OpenManage Server Administrator
OpenManage Storage Services
Microsoft® System Center
RedHat® Ansible® Modules
IBM Tivoli Netcool/OMNIbus
IBM Tivoli® Network Manager IP Edition
Micro Focus Operations Manager I
- Network Options
4 x 1GbE
2 x 10GbE + 2 x 1bGE
4 x 10GbE
2 x 25GbE
1 x Dedicated iDRAC direct USB
2 x USB 2.0
1 x USB 3.0 (optional)
1 x VGA
1 x Dedicated iDRAC network port
1 x Serial
2 x USB 3.0
1 x VGA
8 x Gen3 slots (4 x 16)
1 x VGA
- Optional LCD bezel or security bezel
- 2U Rack Server
Dimensions & Weight
- ReadyRails™ sliding rails with optional cable management arm for 4-post racks (optional adapter brackets required for threaded hole racks).
- Choose Dell ProSupport Plus for critical systems or Dell ProSupport for premium hardware and software support for your PowerEdge solution. Consulting and deployment offerings are also available. Contact your Dell representative today for more information. Availability and terms of Dell Services vary by region.