Scalable high performance modular server
Elastic compute resources for database-driven mission critical applications and performance workloads in a 4-socket, double-width sled.
Set the foundation for the modern data centerDesigned for Dell EMC’s PowerEdge MX kinetic infrastructure ecosystem, the PowerEdge MX840c server, with dense compute, exceptionally large memory capacity and highly expandable storage subsystem, delivers the flexibility and agility needed in today’s demanding, shared-resource environments.
- Double-width; up to four sleds per PowerEdge MX7000 chassis.
- Two or four, up to 28-core second-generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors per sled, up to 448 cores per chassis.
- Up to 48 DDR4 DIMMs slots, 6 TB max memory and speeds up to 2933MT/s; up to 192 DIMMS per chassis for up to 24.5TB max memory.
- Supports up to 24 DIMM slots for Intel® Optane™ DC persistent memory DCPMM (12.2TB) with a maximum total capacity of 15.36TB per server.
- Up to eight 2.5" drive bays for SAS/SATA (HDD/SDD) and NVMe PCIe SSD support plus optional M.2 boot.
Dynamically configure for optimal workload performance and efficiencyPowerEdge MX architecture disaggregates and granularly reassigns resources, maximizing utilization, minimizing overprovisioning and stranded infrastructure. PowerEdge MX840c fully configurable, no compromise compute maximizes scalability to enhance workload performance and optimization.
- Scale compute resources with second-generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors and tailor performance based on your unique workload requirements.
- Flexible memory configurations from capacities of 8GB to 6TB; RDIMMs and LRDIMMs for reduced memory loading and greater density.
- Large, high-performance onboard storage footprint with double the HDD drives per compute sled*.
Intelligently automate to accelerate deployment and provisioningDeploy and provision PowerEdge MX servers faster and automate daily operations with agent-free lifecycle management. Unify and simplify management of compute, storage and fabric with Dell EMC OpenManage Enterprise – Modular Edition within the MX7000 chassis.
- Up to four times more performance with integrated Dell Remote Access Controller 9 (iDRAC9) for easy lifecycle management from deploy to retirement*.
- Sixteen fewer steps and 30% time savings to perform basic server setup using Android or Apple mobile device with Quick Sync 2* .
- Full Lifecycle Management of more than 5,000 nodes within 611 chassis over 7 continents simultaneously on a single OpenManage Enterprise console* .
Integrate innovation to maximize longevity and minimize disruptionPowerEdge MX infrastructure’s responsive and future-ready design mitigates the uncertainty of planning for future workload and data center needs. Industry leading thermal architecture, unique no mid plane design, forward thinking mechanical design and control algorithms for dense configurations allows for emerging technologies to easily integrate with existing infrastructure.
- Multi-generational assurance for at least three sever processor microarchitecture generations.
- More effective cooling and non-disruptive fabric upgrades with the no mid plane design - direct compute to I/O connections.
- Simplified storage capacity expansion with the PowerEdge MX5016s which accommodates up to sixteen 2.5” hot-pluggable SAS drives that can be granularly assigned to servers.
Dell EMC offers complete end-to-end services
ProSupport Enterprise SuiteGain the freedom to focus on your business transformation with the support expertise and insights Dell EMC is known for across the globe. Choose the right support based on the criticality of specific systems with available automated predictive analysis, collaborative third-party assistance and service account management.
ProDeployProDeploy Enterprise Suite helps you get more out of technology starting on day one. Trust our experts to lead deployments from basic hardware installations through planning, configuration and complex integrations. Our complete suite of deployment services and professional certifications helps you achieve business outcomes today and tomorrow.
Training & CertificationEducation Services offers an expansive suite of training services with multiple delivery methods, including instructor-led, self-paced online and virtual instructor-led training. With comprehensive and flexible training programs, we make it easy to ensure your staff has the skills they need to successfully manage and utilize your new technology to its full potential.
ConsultingConsulting services give expert guidance to help you grow, optimize and transform your IT environment at your own pace and budget. We employ a broad range of certified consultants and engineers, backed by program management teams, who can deliver deep technical expertise. We give you the confidence that your project will be done right and on time.
- Up to four 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors, with up to 28 cores per processor
- Canonical® Ubuntu® Server LTS
Microsoft® Windows Server®with Hyper-V
Red Hat® Enterprise Linux
SUSE® Linux Enterprise Server
- Intel® C628 Chipset with optional Intel® QuickAssist Technology
- DIMM Speed
Up to 2933 MT/s
Memory Module Slots
48 DDR4 DIMM slots
12 slots enabled for NVDIMM-N
24 slots enabled for Intel® Optane™ DC persistent memory DCPMM
Intel® Optane™ DC persistent memory DCPMM 12.2TB (total capacity of 15.36TB per server)
Up to 8 x 2.5” SAS/SATA (HD/SDD) or NVMe PCIe SSD
- Internal controllers:
PERC HBA330, H730P, H745P, HBA330 mini-mezz
Boot Optimized Storage Subsystem (BOSS):
Choice HWRAID 2 x M.2 SSDs or
Internal Dual SD Module (IDSDM)
- Cryptographically signed firmware
Silicon Root of Trust
System Lockdown (requires OpenManage Enterprise)
TPM 1.2/2.0 optional
- Embedded / At-the-Chassis
OpenManage Enterprise – Modular Edition
Quick Sync 2 Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) / wireless module
Embedded / At-the-Server – Compute Sled
iDRAC9 with Lifecycle Controller
iDRAC RESTful API with Redfish
OpenManage Power Center
OpenManage Mobile (requires OM Enterprise or OM Essentials)
Dell EMC Repository Manager
Dell EMC System Update
Dell EMC Server Update Utility
Dell EMC Update Catalogs
iDRAC Service Module
OpenManage Server Administrator
OpenManage Storage Services
Microsoft® System Center
IBM Tivoli® Netcool/OMNIbus
IBM Tivoli® Network Manager IP Edition
Micro Focus® Operations Manager i (OMi)
- Up to 6 x 3000W; PSU and grid redundancy support (MX7000 chassis)
5 rear- and 4 front-accessible hot-swap fans (MX7000 chassis)
- Networking Options
Up to 2 pair redundant general-purpose switch or pass-through module bays (Fabrics A and B); redundant pair of storage specific switch bays (Fabric C)
Up to 25GbE, 32Gbps Fibre Channel, 12Gbps SAS
1 x USB 3.0
1xUSB 2.0 management port for iDRAC
1xUSB 3.0 + USB 2.0 for IDSDM
1 x USB 3.0
4 x PCIe 3.0 x16 mezzanine slots (Fabric A and B)
2 x PCIe 3.0 x16 mini-mezzanine slot (Fabric C)
Integrated VGA controller in iDRAC, VGA over LAN
- 7U Chassis, double-width compute sled
Dimensions & Weight
618mm (24.33") (handle closed)
- Choose Dell ProSupport Plus for critical systems or Dell ProSupport for premium hardware and software support for your PowerEdge solution. Consulting and deployment offerings are also available. Contact your Dell representative today for more information. Availability and terms of Dell Services vary by region.