Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

2 Posts

August 19th, 2021 05:00

Alienware Alpha R2 - eGPU GTX 1080ti - NOT DETECTED (Device Manager)

Greetings! Thanks for coming along to review my misfortunes! 

I am in possession of an Alienware Alpha R2 - i7 4785t - Nvidia GTX Integrated Graphics - 16GB RAM.

I have purchased along with it a GTX 1080ti and an external Graphics Card Docking Station known as the GDC EXP 8.0 PCiE X1 eGPU adapter, and a regular EVGA 600W Modular PSU to power the Graphics Card.

I have since run into an issue, first of all it came about when I tried plugging the PSU into the GPU, it would only work (light up, spin fans) with the one (out of 2) 8-pin male plugs plugged into the female ports on the 1080ti GPU, and would power surge and shut down both the GPU and PSU if I attached both 8-pin PSU PCI-E plugs like the GPU supposedly requires, it runs fine with one 8-pin plug attached to the power input, the GPU fans spin, the LEDs light up but the problem is that the PC, no matter what I do, will not detect the Graphics Card, I have literally tried and exhausted all of my options.

My only theory as to what may be causing the issue is either the PSU is under powered (1080ti requires 600W minimum) or it's the fact I can only plug in one of the 2 8-pin plugs to the GPU without power surging the pair and having them shut down on me, I have tried various trouble shoots to get the GPU to be recognised, like starting up the PC with the WiFi Card attached to the NGFF instead of the eGPU in hope of forcing the PC's BIOS to not lock out the port (due to unrecognised device) , and then putting the PC into sleep mode once booted, changing out the original WiFi NGFF and replacing it with the NGFF from the eGPU and then booting it back up, hoping to bypass any BIOS NGFF protections, but that doesn't work..

I have updated my BIOS to the newest A08 (2019) 

I'm really relying on your responses and input with this, even if it's just a shot in the dark, all advice counts and would and could possibly lead me in the direction of success with this as I have just spent a heap of money with no foreseeable redemption..

You're my only guiding star within the black abyss of computing confusion. 

If I have not been clear with anything or you might want some more information / images to help you get a better idea of my predicament then please feel free to reach out and I am more than obliged to supply.

I appreciate you taking the time to read through this, welcome to my current headache

Looking forward to hearing your inputs! 

Please find attached below some photos of my setup, to help give you an idea of the physical setup of the system.  

Screenshot_20210813_200648_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

IMG_20210819_001342.jpg

IMG_20210818_235511.jpg

2 Posts

August 19th, 2021 05:00

No Events found!