Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

3 Posts

August 30th, 2019 23:00

Alpha froze during A08 BIOS upgrade; now won't boot

I recently upgraded to an SSD in my Alpha, and in the course of installing updates after reinstalling Windows, was prompted to install the A06 and A08 BIOS upgrades.

The A06 upgrade ran with no problem, but the A08 froze in the middle and gave me a blue screen. When I restarted, the light on the front was solid yellow and nothing showed on screen.

I've tried multiple solutions for "yellow light" failures: setting the RCRST jumper, disconnecting the CMOS battery for a while, copying the BIOS update to a USB.

I still haven't gotten anything to show up on screen, but now the light on the front flashes solid yellow once, then turns blue.

Is there anything else I can try?

671 Posts

September 2nd, 2019 08:00

Thank you for reaching out to us. Do you currently have an active warranty? Those symptoms are looking like they would need a closer look at the motherboard.

671 Posts

September 4th, 2019 11:00

Hi! We haven't heard from you in a couple of days. Are you still around? We're here to help out!

3 Posts

September 4th, 2019 14:00

Sorry, I didn't see the notification on the first reply.

No, it's not under warranty; the warranty ran out in 2016.

671 Posts

September 4th, 2019 15:00

Could you please send us your Service Tag via Private Message? 
So we can check what available options we have for you.

1 Message

April 21st, 2020 00:00

Hi, I just went thru the exact same problem. upgrade bios to A6 was OK, but hit a blue screen when upgrading to A8. and now the PC won't boot. Please advise what to do. Thx.

May 24th, 2020 13:00

Thanks for the info.  I won't upgrade my BIOS!

February 17th, 2021 17:00

I'm having the same problem as the other two users reported.

I did a clean install on a customer's machine. Dell support assistant advised me there were critical updates required. It installed BIOS A06 just fine but then the update to A08 froze the machine which then blue screened and reboot, I no longer get video output or POST.

I've reset CMOS defaults with no change.

The lights on the front of the system come on and the fan spin but no video output, no beep codes and no response to keyboard input including the num lock/caps lock lights will not toggle.

2 Posts

September 12th, 2022 03:00

Did you ever get the answer to this question, facing the same issue here. -Thx.

No Events found!