Highlighted
1 Copper

Alpha froze during A08 BIOS upgrade; now won't boot

I recently upgraded to an SSD in my Alpha, and in the course of installing updates after reinstalling Windows, was prompted to install the A06 and A08 BIOS upgrades.

The A06 upgrade ran with no problem, but the A08 froze in the middle and gave me a blue screen. When I restarted, the light on the front was solid yellow and nothing showed on screen.

I've tried multiple solutions for "yellow light" failures: setting the RCRST jumper, disconnecting the CMOS battery for a while, copying the BIOS update to a USB.

I still haven't gotten anything to show up on screen, but now the light on the front flashes solid yellow once, then turns blue.

Is there anything else I can try?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Alpha froze during A08 BIOS upgrade; now won't boot

Thank you for reaching out to us. Do you currently have an active warranty? Those symptoms are looking like they would need a closer look at the motherboard.

Alienware-Jose
Dell | Alienware Technical SupportAlienware Arena
#Iwork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check outAlienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit:YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi! We haven't heard from you in a couple of days. Are you still around? We're here to help out!

Alienware-Jose
#Iwork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check outAlienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit:YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Sorry, I didn't see the notification on the first reply.

No, it's not under warranty; the warranty ran out in 2016.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Could you please send us your Service Tag via Private Message? 
So we can check what available options we have for you.

Alienware-Jose
#Iwork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi, I just went thru the exact same problem. upgrade bios to A6 was OK, but hit a blue screen when upgrading to A8. and now the PC won't boot. Please advise what to do. Thx.

0 Kudos
1 Copper

Thanks for the info.  I won't upgrade my BIOS!

0 Kudos