Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 6th, 2019 08:00

AW3420DW, no audio from integrated speakers

Anyone else having an issue where the Alienware AW3420DW monitor integrated speakers won't play? When throwing audio at them, nothing comes out, no hiss, no distortion, no sound. They stopped worked after working fine mid game.

Are there any bugs currently known?

Troubleshooting:
- Restarted monitor
- Reconnected Display Port Cable
- Reinstalled NVIDIA drivers (including HD Audio)
-  Verified Dell monitor is the destination for audio in Windows (Windows recognizes audio playing)
- Front Headset jack DOES work
- Audio is at 50% in monitor OSD 

Do I have a defective monitor?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 7th, 2019 08:00

GTS81 is correct. Neither the AW3420DW sales site nor the AW3420DW User's Guide mentions "internal built-in speakers". There is the Audio Line-out port for external powered speakers and the Headphone out port. Page 10 states =

Capture.JPG

So this statement by Askeptic is very confusing, "They stopped worked after working fine mid game.". 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 6th, 2019 14:00

Are you sure your system's audio speakers are still set to to the desired audio-device?

2.2K Posts

I thought most Dell gaming monitors especially the AW ones don’t have built in speakers?

Edit: I read most of the manual here:

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_electronics_accessories/esuprt_electronics_accessories_monitors/dell-aw3420dw-monitor_user%27s-guide_en-us.pdf

Looked at the bottom view of the monitor and I don't think those grille-like structures are the speakers output. Probably just ventilation holes. And if Dell went through the trouble of sticking in some speakers no matter how cheap they may be, I'm sure it would be mentioned in the user manual.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

I suggest you contact Dell Support to help troubleshoot your new monitor.

27 Posts

Yep

If I do not set the system audio to the monitor, the headphones that are plugged in to the monitor stop working. Soon as I set the monitor to the system audio the headphones work. If I unplug the headphones I get nothing from the monitor.

Strange thing is, it was working fine during a game, and then just stopped mid game and hasn't worked since.

Edit: Additional Info .. If I reconnect my old monitor (Dell U3415W) the audio works fine from the monitor. Pretty sure the Alienware speakers blew.

27 Posts

November 7th, 2019 20:00

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the information. I do believe  you are correct. I reviewed my configuration and what I believe happened was that I had my headphones (which always play - connected directly to sound card) next to the monitor. After all that, I think I was hearing the headphones and thought the sound was coming from the Monitor.

Still not sure what would of caused the headphones to abruptly stop, but that is a conversation for somewhere else.

Sorry for the confusion! The headphone jack on the front (bottom) works great so I think the issue was USER ERROR in that I thought it had speakers cause of the audio configuration in the HUD. 

Thank you, Chris and GTS81 for pointing out my ignorance!

No Events found!