Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 1st, 2023 13:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

AW3423DWF, ETA on EOTF firmware fix?

Hello Alienware team,

Many people are wondering what is the ETA on the firmware fix that's coming for the AW3423DWF? According to this article on dell website, a firmware update was suppose to be provided in mid February for the source tone map bug in HDR 1000. Alas, we're now March 1st and there's still no update in sight.

EOTF (Electro-Optical Transfer Function) curve in HDR1000 on the AW3423DWF is currently messed up as shown by many reviewers (Monitor Unboxed, etc.). Any update on when we should see a firmware fix for this would be most welcome.

11 Posts

May 20th, 2023 03:00

What does "I'm still optimistic" mean? a few messages earlier you wrote that the problem was fixed, but the other things that this entailed need to be fixed". ..

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

May 20th, 2023 08:00

Just to clear on this: I never claimed it might not be fixable. I stated there's a possibility this cannot be fixed with a firmware update.

Reason being is we don't know the true cause of the EOTF issue. The assumption is that it's a calibration issue that can be easily fixed with an updated calibration profile. 

3 Posts

May 20th, 2023 17:00

Kinda wish dell would give us a bit more info of what going on, instead of leaving us in the dark.

9 Posts

May 20th, 2023 19:00

I just bought the DWF today.  I truly hope to see a firm confirmation of a firmware fix for this HDR1000 issue.   I assume that I will love HDR 400 true black... but yes, this is an expensive monitor and HDR1000 should be working well as it does on the DW.  If this isn't fixable with firmware that should really be disclosed.  If it is fixable then some light should be shed on the actual effort/time required to remedy this issue.

Looking forward to hopefully 100% loving the DWF...  and getting a "info rich" update soon.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

May 20th, 2023 22:00

The last update I have is still the same and with the end of May being the last ETA I heard (this is no different from before and unfortunately I do not have any new updates since that post I made). The team is fully aware of the issue and has been continuing to work on this.  

The reason for the optimistic line is that in my personal experience sometimes a fix can change due to unforeseen circumstances, ie if the Firmware is not performing up to spec, but again I have not heard this. For example, if this was on the DW version it would only be in the form of a hardware revision because that monitor cannot be updated by the end-user with Firmware, but this one can be.

Again, when  I hear something back that's new I will update the thread, I just wanted to reassure everyone we haven't forgot about this. 

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

Yes, I will share updates as I get them. 

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

Yes, I do agree, faster updates would be nice, but until I have something more to share I don't want to give false statements. 

May 21st, 2023 22:00

BradL- Thank you for confirming the team is fully aware of the issue and is working on a fix.

The end of May is approaching- but I'm still not getting my hopes up for a release soon. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's out by the end of June. So anytime before then and I'll be happy!

Even if it seems like a lack of transparency to some in this thread, personally, I appreciate you holding out on posting until you get accurate information.

9 Posts

May 22nd, 2023 09:00

I agree.  Thanks to BradL for being reliable to status us that the issue is still being worked and not completely off of Dell's radar.

I'm fine waiting a bit longer.  What I do want to know is if the Dell team can confirm that this is fixable in firmware or if that is still a "not sure".  Getting the actual fix implemented timely would be great!  However, knowing if the Dell team is still not 100% sure that this is fixable in firmware would be something that we would all appreciate knowing. 

I.e. Is it just a matter of "when" or is there a technical reason that it is still a matter of "if".

11 Posts

May 22nd, 2023 13:00

I doubt they will divulge that information. If they knew it couldn't be fixed with firmware updates, and admitting that, would open the floodgates to tons of people initiating returns - me included lol

3 Posts

May 22nd, 2023 15:00

Definitely, if they were confident that this was fixable they would have address it, but Im getting the feeling that their not sure. What do guys think? Am i overreacting?

11 Posts

May 22nd, 2023 16:00

Probably. 

Going by what the dell rep/mod said, I'm optimistic that it'll get fixed. 

But... and I think it deserves to be stressed upon - who knows until it's officially addressed/fixed by dell. The hardware can do it, it's just a EOTF curve. I'm hardly knowledgeable on the subject of OLED inner-workings and hardware/software, so it's just my feeling.

Guess we'll find out by the end of the month either way. 

9 Posts

May 23rd, 2023 07:00

I think the same... however, as an electrical engineer myself, I know the work is in the details and all the details have to be allowing of a fix (software).  

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

May 23rd, 2023 08:00

I just got an update and early June is the new ETA.

I also asked if firmware was still the plan and so far it is and what is being tested. I will update this thread as I get more updates. 

6 Posts

May 23rd, 2023 08:00

Thank you for the update, it's much appreciated.

No Events found!