Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Z

1 Message

April 24th, 2018 17:00

Alienware Aurora R7 - Dual M.2 NVMe SSD Possible?

Just curious if it is possible to have dual M.2 NVMe SSD on Z370 motherboard. I can see there are two M.2 slots, one for M.2 NVMe SSD ("primary") and the other one for wireless card ("secondary"). Dual M.2 NVMe SSD sounds a fairly interesting future upgrade, so my question is, for the secondary slot, whether BIOS is keyed for wireless card only or not.

If not, can I install two SSD's in RAID 0? And I suppose a PCIe WIFI adapter would be necessary since the original wireless card is removed.

Any thoughts or experiences? Thx!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 24th, 2018 20:00

@zhaochengwrote:

1. Just curious if it is possible to have dual M.2 NVMe SSD on Z370 motherboard.

2.  one for M.2 NVMe SSD ("primary")

3. and the other one for wireless card ("secondary").

1. Not that I know of

2. Right

3. Pretty sure that is instead a miniPCIe slot

You could stick another SSD in a real PCIe addin slot down below. No, I don't recommend a RAID-0. 

9 Posts

July 21st, 2018 10:00

I don't have the needs of two ssds but I want to make use of the optane card and HDD drive.

9 Posts

July 21st, 2018 10:00

Hi Tesla,

I purchased the r7 with 2t hdd + optane days ago and was considering switching to ssd. I saw a lot of your posts in ssd related stuff which is very helpful but I'm a little bit confused for this question. I saw someone on a chinese forum saying that he used an pcie to m.2 card (something like this I assume) for pm981 and it works. 

Original link(https://www.chiphell.com/thread-1852719-1-1.html

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 21st, 2018 11:00

@Fishery wrote:

Hi Tesla,

I purchased the r7 with 2t hdd + optane days ago and was considering switching to ssd. I saw a lot of your posts in ssd related stuff which is very helpful but I'm a little bit confused for this question. I saw someone on a chinese forum saying that he used an pcie to m.2 card (something like this I assume) for pm981 and it works. 

Original link(https://www.chiphell.com/thread-1852719-1-1.html

I have no real-life experience with Optane hardware or modules (just what I read). I simply don't have any Optane modules. When I bought my Aurora-R6, I decided to use its only M.2-PCIe/NVMe slot for a nice 512gb PM-961 SSD.

A SSD on a PCIe Addin card should basically work (ie, appear to Windows) ... even while using the motherboard's on-board M.2/PCIe slot for an Optane module. I think the real question is can it be Windows bootable in this config on this particular machine. And if it can't be, would you still say " it's working" ?

Let us know how it goes, and then we will all know. :Smile:

9 Posts

July 21st, 2018 14:00

Thank you so much for reply! What I was thinking is to use 970evo as main drive while putting optane to the secondary m.2 slot. The optane is essentailly a m.2 ssd

No Events found!