MXOWinterMute
3 Argentum

Area-51 ALX: the Alien Transplant

Detailed picture PDF of how--with the help of Cass-Ole--I completely upgraded my Area-51 ALX and kept the Active Venting, AlienFX...all of it!

5 Replies
Tesla1856
7 Thorium

Re: Area-51 ALX: the Alien Transplant

Good work and thanks for posting. 

Yeah @Cass-Ole is the expert on this kind of upgrade and all the required Mods.

Long-live the original Dell Aliens !

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
MXOWinterMute
3 Argentum

Update!

My motherboard went wonky and I had to do an RMA.  As I looked over all those Alienware AIO cooler parts and remembered the issue above with the Asetek retention bracket I'd ordered, it occurred to me...why didn't I just try the *original* bracket and screws that came with the system?

It worked!  And so now this machine is running with all the original Area-51 ALX parts, and everything is hunky-dory.  I'm having an unrelated issue with accessing AWCC on a 21:9 monitor, but I'll be posting that particular issue in a separate thread.

Meanwhile...the guts from 2010 have been repurposed in a different case--my daughter uses it as a dedicated render machine for her AfterEffects animations and Premiere videos.  Win-win! 🙂

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
7 Thorium

@MXOWinterMute wrote:

Meanwhile...the guts from 2010 have been re-purposed in a different case--my daughter uses it as a dedicated render machine for her AfterEffects animations and Premiere videos.  Win-win! 🙂

Yeah, the Intel-x58 chipset and i7-9xx processors match-up to be quite a work-horse. 

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
JDM4Life
3 Argentum

Wow nice, I've been out of the loop for a while and now thinking about rebuilding my ALX Area 51 with a system update to todays 2019-2020 specs but wanna go with a Ryzen system. Any thoughts and links to builds? Mahalo!

XPS M1710 Black

Windows 10 Professional
2.0 Dual core
Nvidia Geforce 7950GTX 512MB
4GB 667 DDR2 Ram
106GB SATA 7200 HD
1920x1200 Truelife Display

Alienware ALX Area 51 BIOS 11 Update

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

North Bridge Intel X58 rev 13/South Bridge Intel 82801JR (ICH10R) rev 00

BIOS Alienware A11 (04/06/2010)

Memory (RAM) Total Size 12280 Mhz

DirectX 12.0

Model #1 Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

Capacity #1 2000 GB

HUA721010KLA330 EIT

Capacity #3 1000 GB

Windows Version Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Home 64-bit

Windows Subver. Build 10586

0 Kudos
Cass-Ole
5 Tungsten

Jason-51-Ryzen-3700x

Above is Jason J's 51 build, an MSI Ryzen 3700x, photo is a few minutes after 1st power up, taken Aug 7th 2019 (AIO cooler went on later using Asetek AM4 retention ring). I helped get the Seasonic 1300w in by using my black CableMod set #1, AlienFx courtesy 2.8.9 or CmndCntr non-oem board 2.8.11

Here's Luke's Z370 | my GoddessLike MSI x99 & z87 A51 Asus Swap is in the archive but all of the links are broken, see pics + Daytones Ryzen 1700 below

AMD-Ryzen

240mm cooler swap | Jason will attempt side panel window soon | PSU swap kit