Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

57 Posts

May 7th, 2018 06:00

Area-51 R2, AWCC, upper fan idle

Hi, so the problem I'm having is the upper fan on my area 51 R2 is not responding to anything in the command center, it just sits there on idle with the fixed or use fan curve. So, anybody else have this problem and know what it could be?  I reinstalled the command center 3 times and also tried to install the previous version, but due to a compatibility issue it wouldn't install. I also ran the epsa test and nothing showed to be a problem.

6 Posts

October 18th, 2018 10:00

I own several Area 51 R2s with Nvidia GTX 1080TIs. All are running the latest Windows 10 Professional 1803 x64. Since upgrading the Windows 10 x64 I have lost all controls of the Top Fans in all three units. One unit I installed Windows 7 Ultimate SP2 and the Control Panel worked flawlessly. All fans worked in 100% manual. I then took the second machine and ran Windows 10 Enterprise 1511 and once again the latest Control Panel worked flawlessly. The problem is painfully obvious, the problem is with Alienware's software and their notorious practices of, "We got your money; see you later."  When I contacted Support directly as a Shareholder, the gave me, "So sorry, we don't support that OS on Alienware Area 51 R2 --"This is Windows x64 Professional which is licensed with each machine. After I rolled my eyes, I got his name and unit he is with. So, I then talked with the techs and they informed me that the issue is with Microsoft. I explained what I have done that the problem rests securely with Alienware. I can also confirm it is NOT a BAD FAN. If it were, you would get an alarm as I have all errors to be signified in my BIOS. No, without touching the fan pin connector everything works just great on Windows 7 Ultimate SP2 or is it SP1? Anyways then there is Windows 1151 Enterprise LTSB that works flawlessly without the need to open up any of the cabinets on 3 of my identical machines. Yes, three machines -- all having the same issue with the last 3 Windows updates. Using Intel's diagnostic tools confirms once and for all the problem is with Alienware Area 51 R2's software and nothing at all to do with the fan or Windows since the fan works up to 100% in testing.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 18th, 2018 13:00

Just so you know, my experience is based on having these:
Aurora-R1 - AWCC v2.8.11.0
Aurora-R6 - AWCC v4.6.20
... both running Windows-10 Pro 64bit v1803 just fine. Both have survived multiple Windows-10 major updates overlay-ed onto them.

Clean-installing AW-CC is usually the fix. What version are you using? If a (normal) clean-install of AW-CC v4.8.25.0 does not work, maybe v4.0.59.0 will . If still problematic, then try installing v4.0.59.0 in Win-7 or Win-8 Compatibility Mode.

As far as checking the hardware, see this:

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Area-51-R2-AWCC-problems/m-p/6185353

6 Posts

December 14th, 2018 03:00

Alienware has zero interest in updating the software to the more recent windows 10 version. Though they have a Windows 10 Store version to download it's plagued as well and worse off. No known version of any kind will work and for those who keep the copy and paste the earlier versions. The only way to get this software working in the R2 classes is to upgrade your OS to Windows 7 Ultimate x64 of pre-Windows 10 1609. Oh, you can also replace the entire motherboard and daughter board with an MSI board in which I have done as an experiment with crushing success. Ditch the Alienware and use the MSI control panel and or the Intel XTU. Also, remove the power supply regardless of the 850 watt or the 1500 watt. Get the Thermaltake Gold Rated 2000 watt and get rid of those factory fans too. Anything such as Coolmaster or Thermaltake's cheapest will out gun what Alienware has. You can even add a memory cooling fan and go with a much better liquid cooling system. I opt for the high-end cooling fans and memory cooling manifold with a wonderfully variable fan.

6 Posts

December 14th, 2018 03:00

My units are the Alienware Area 51 R2. Clean barebones installing of Windows 10. From Windows 1609 to the present, the software does not will not, control the device properly.

In any version you have mentioned, it doesn't work. Even the Windows Store version does not show my Alienware Elite Keyboard, Mouse, and 34" Alienware Curved Screen with the 144 Hz model. It does not and will not show the Alienware Machine to control functions there. Barebones installation doesn't work, overlays, roll-backs, and clone re-installs don't work in the least. Having independently installing drivers for additional hardware does not work at all on three machines. I also purchased the Elite Gaming Headset and can tell you that device fails miserably with the latest drivers and this interface. It seems, other than the fan issue as originally mentioned, nothing works correctly and I am forced to use 4 different software for setting up each device only to reboot and lose all of its settings?

Since I could not even get the Alienware Flagship headsets to work properly on any of my machines, I loaded those things back into a box and received a full refund. I went back to the most reliable Logitech Gaming Headset. I even tried all the devices in my friend's machine and nothing worked nothing. He could not get his Area 51 R2 past Windows 7 Ultimate to function properly. Whose idea was it anyways to automatically download and install the Win 10 version of this pitiful software? Surely it wasn't mine and it cannot even install right throwing download and install errors. Have you not looked at the feedback from the Microsoft Store? I bet you haven't. I did purchase a brand new $8,900.00 model of Area 51 and found it atrociously dismal as my two-year-old Windows 7 x64 tore it a new in four different Internationally renown benchmarking software. The i9 chip, top of the line could not keep up before the BIOS upgrade. My three 20 TB WB Red NASware 3.0 in Raid0 smoked the living out of the SSDs that came with the unit. I also found out that the high-ended memory is anything but. Seems like I ordered and confirmed 64 gigs of 64GB Dual Channel HyperX™ DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz which was anything but. Yeah, 32 Gigs of 32GB DDR4 at 2666MHz Dual Channel and not even close of being set up right. I also noticed in the spite of the RTX Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti OC graphics with 11GB GDDR6 each (NVIDIA NVLink SLI® Enabled) was not enabled, no bridge to do so with the 850-watt generic power supply that according to your website should be impossible. On my manifest shows, an Alienware™ 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply with modular cabling [80 Plus Gold Efficiency] installed. the i9 Intel chip, the Intel® Core™ i9 7980XE (18-core, 24.75MB Cache, up to 4.4GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Max 3.0) never reached 4.4 GHz let alone a stable 2.25 GHz with dynamics turned off and running fixed at max. Using the Intel XTU for overclocking it was impossible to even get this chip up to 3.0 GHz with core temps exceeding 100 C on a liquid cooled system. So when I called the machine in for an RTM and my $8,900 machine in Alienware decided to send out a kid, yeah, kid of 24 years old. I have been in computers longer he's been alive. He double checked my order's manifest and came to a slow conclusion that I have been ripped off. He put in a new motherboard in which he fried right away failing to discharge the unit properly and killing half of my memory in doing so. Running now on a 16 GB stick that cannot maintain 70% of speed and capacity that killed the first new replacement board also killing out the RTM NVidia cards -- Both of them and as far as the 850 watt power supply, yeah, it got ghosted too tripping off my ACP UPS 300 watt supply knocking all network and work machines off to the next world. Good job on Alienware. I kicked the out of my house and sent this anchor weight back to Dell as fast as I could. It filled my sportscar up with that burnt silicon smell driving as fast as I possibly could to Rapid City. FedEx was leary taking the box back without attaching a fire extinguisher to it just in case. Oh, and for the record, the new command center didn't work right in that one either though I had zero chance of finding out if the machine's software would run in Windows 3.1 Capacity. Naturally, I doubled checked the Dell Express Number, P/N, and well, any other number possible -- They were all correct showing that I have been ripped off, and with the money returned.

1 Message

April 20th, 2019 12:00

Topic: Fixed idle fan by downgrading software TLDR: downgrading to AC v7.0 fixed the "idle top fan" was an immediate fix. https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/drivers/DriversDetails?productCode=alienware-area51-r2&driverId=0N36D ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If its of any help to your team during the upcoming hot summer. I Had the same issue as OP whilst running ACC v9.0 This is not as simple as installing latest ACC. In ACC v9, To digress, thermal controls in ACCv9 default settings after install would allow the top fan in "auto (alien control)" of the "manage thermal system" to work under extreme temps (and I linked both fans to GPU 1 in "Therm Cont"), meaning the fan was still functional and wasn't unresponsive to certain triggers. But the top fan wasn't however triggering when forced to "fixed" or a "custom curve thermal control" spec of the user's desire.

May 3rd, 2019 18:00

Thank you, I had the same idle problem in my R2, but by reverting to the 2016 version I have regained control of both top and bottom (PCI) fans.  Now I just have to figure out how to get control the extra middle fan I installed.  On auto it runs steady , but on manual, the top and PCI work but the middle turns off.  I have it plugged into the middle 4 pin receptor.

No Events found!