Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

57 Posts

May 7th, 2018 06:00

Area-51 R2, AWCC, upper fan idle

Hi, so the problem I'm having is the upper fan on my area 51 R2 is not responding to anything in the command center, it just sits there on idle with the fixed or use fan curve. So, anybody else have this problem and know what it could be?  I reinstalled the command center 3 times and also tried to install the previous version, but due to a compatibility issue it wouldn't install. I also ran the epsa test and nothing showed to be a problem.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

May 7th, 2018 15:00

Hi, 

Send me your Service Tag in a PM, so we can look into this. 

57 Posts

May 8th, 2018 10:00

Ok, will send pm service tag

57 Posts

May 8th, 2018 10:00

Where is the PM tab

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 8th, 2018 11:00

@capa3400wrote:

Hi, so the problem I'm having is the upper fan on my area 51 R2 is not responding to anything in the command center, it just sits there on idle with the fixed or use fan curve. So, anybody else have this problem and know what it could be?  I reinstalled the command center 3 times and also tried to install the previous version, but due to a compatibility issue it wouldn't install. I also ran the epsa test and nothing showed to be a problem.

On Manual Curve, what sensor are you using? Try the CPU as a test.

57 Posts

May 8th, 2018 11:00

I tried with the CPU sensor and raised the bar so it should make the fan rev up, but no response from it. The other guy said to PM him my service tag, but where is the PM option? I also reinstalled the command center like 3 times and no change.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 8th, 2018 12:00

@capa3400wrote:

I tried with the CPU sensor and raised the bar so it should make the fan rev up, but no response from it. The other guy said to PM him my service tag, but where is the PM option? I also reinstalled the command center like 3 times and no change.

Hmm.

I don't have an Area51-R2 (but I have a couple of Auroras).

... this "Upper Fan" as you call it ... it's not the Liquid-Cooler's Radiator-Fan is it?

57 Posts

May 8th, 2018 21:00

No, it's the top chassis fan that directs air onto the memory and air back to the CPU radiator that is mounted top back.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 8th, 2018 22:00

@capa3400wrote:

No, it's the top chassis fan that directs air onto the memory and air back to the CPU radiator that is mounted top back.

OK, no problem.

So, you are running Windows-10 64bit ?

What version of Alienware Command Center are you running, and have you tried a clean-install of it? 

57 Posts

May 9th, 2018 06:00

It's Windows 10 64 bit and I've tried reinstalling the command center 3 times from Dell's website where you get the drivers for your machine. I also tried reinstalling the previous version of the command center, but it would not install because of some compatibility issue. Now the bottom fan works as it should by either using the fixed option for the speed, or using the graph. The top fan did work right for awhile up until about 3 months ago or so.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 9th, 2018 09:00

@capa3400wrote:

I've tried reinstalling the command center 3 times from Dell's website 

One more time ... version please. I won't ask again. :Indifferent:

57 Posts

May 9th, 2018 10:00

It isVersion: 4.8.25.0 ,A00

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 9th, 2018 11:00

@capa3400wrote:

It isVersion: 4.8.25.0 ,A00

Uninstall it and reboot.

Try a clean-install of  v4.0.59.0

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/DriversDetails?productCode=alienware-area51-r2&driverId=0N36D

57 Posts

May 9th, 2018 21:00

Well, I gave that a try again because I actually tried to install the previous version of command center twice before you recommended it, but for some reason it says about a compatibility issue and says it will be fixed next time I run the program, but the program will not run and install. So, I honestly don't know what the problem is. I guess I may have to contact Alienware tech to see if they can fix it.

57 Posts

May 10th, 2018 08:00

I contacted Alienware tech support and apparently it's a issue with the command center and the tech. told me that there are lots of people with this issue and the are working on an update to fix the problem, but it may be a month or 2 until the update is released.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 10th, 2018 09:00

@capa3400wrote:

I contacted Alienware tech support and apparently it's a issue with the command center and the tech. told me that there are lots of people with this issue and the are working on an update to fix the problem, but it may be a month or 2 until the update is released.

So, I guess you wait.

About the only other thing I could think of was to re-seat the fan connector at the board (like, maybe one pin was not making good contact).

Also, possible bad fan.

No Events found!