Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 9th, 2022 18:00

Area-51 R2, RTX 3080, RTX 3090 Ti compatible?

Is the motherboard for a Alienware Area-51 R2 compatible with RTX 3080 or RTX 3090 Ti from Nvidia? Can the power supply support this? Is this even possible? 

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

June 11th, 2022 18:00

Some people like the older Alienware Area 51 triad style and nostalgia . . . and want to upgrade them, whether or not it is the best economic decision. Some people restore older cars and motorcycles, because they like them and it is a fun hobby.

193 Posts

June 12th, 2022 08:00

I would try on your system, if not capable, what ssd does mean to it?

However, i would wait for next generation nvidea, useless to upgrate now rtx pr whatever.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

June 12th, 2022 10:00

That is true, but typically that means restoring to it's original state. Not upgrading to the latest and greatest video card.

I think there are better options if you are looking at something likke a 3090ti, top of the line video card.

Would be a shame to run that on a system that cannot take full advantage of it, for nostalgic reasons.

June 21st, 2022 20:00

" 1. Now-days, 2.5-inch SATA-3/600 SSD is minimum. A M.2/NVMe SSD is about 5-times faster than any SATA-SSD . Use it for Bootable-C, and it will provide the new speed you are looking for. If your motherboard doesn't have slot, you can install this NVMe PCIe Addin card. "

Holy cow I did not know these expansion cards existed. Which one of these cards would I need if I wanted to add 2 M.2/NVMe cards? My Alienware Area 51 R2 just has the sata slots. Any help is most greatly appreciated!

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

June 22nd, 2022 05:00

I'm pretty sure you would need a separate PCIe adapter in separate PCIe slots for each M.2 NVMe because I do not believe the motherboard supports bifurcation. Alternatively, you could purchase an adapter with a controller that supports bifurcation, and install multiple M.2 NVMe drives.

No Events found!