Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

January 24th, 2018 17:00

Area 51-R2, bios update help

I'm currently running A01 on my PC and have been trying to update my bios but I haven't had any luck, it seems like it works but then when it restarts it still says I'm on A01 I've tried upgrading to A02 and that didn't work as well as A12 via the support assistant and also no luck.

2.3K Posts

January 24th, 2018 17:00

Why do you want to update your BIOS? The rule of thumb is if it works don't fix it.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 25th, 2018 07:00

I agree with beamermt79. I also have the 2014 Area51-R2. It is running BIOS A03 dated 7/28/15. Even though Dell has offered later BIOS updates, I have not installed them. Why? Because the system is running fine. The only drivers I periodically update are for the Nvidia video card. As far as A02 not installing, list everything currently plugged into the Area51-R2. Was there extra software running when you tried to install A02?

Desktop Instructions =
- Disconnect all peripherals from the desktop except for monitor, mouse, and keyboard
- Close all unnecessary applications
- Download the BIOS to the windows desktop
- Run the BIOS
- You must allow the BIOS itself to restart the computer. Do NOT force a restart manually. This could break the motherboard CMOS

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 25th, 2018 12:00

Hi @FloppyCanadian,

If you still want to make the update, you can try with a different version here.

January 25th, 2018 13:00

Yeah I was under the impression that it was running fine, I was just potentially hoping to make it run even better I suppose

7 Posts

May 2nd, 2018 06:00

Do you have a spare hard drive? You can install a fresh copy of Windows (dont update it) and install the BIOS. Hopefully that works for you.  Below is a video I made of updating the bios on it. Updating Alienware Area 51 R2 BIOS - Alienware NUT

No Events found!