Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

8 Posts

July 10th, 2020 14:00

Area-51 R2, gameplay issues

I have an Alienware Area 51 R2 desktop and I've been having trouble with playing any game. Whenever I startup the computer the front fans kicks on to 80% even though the temps are fine. But more importantly, playing any game is almost impossible because of how laggy it is. I have reduced the graphics quality, bought a new gpu (Geforce 980), performance scans (all came back with no issues, malware scan, virus scan, defragmented, changed thermal paste. The only issues I can see is that the FPS is averaging only 20. It'll spike to 60, but its only for a few seconds. Meanwhile I can stream video without lag. Any help would be appreciated. I just don't know where to go from here.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 10th, 2020 16:00

To remove games from equation ... try OCCT instead (the Power-Supply Test feature).

Any (red) critical errors in Windows Reliability Report ?

How about temps (and core utilizations) in CPUID's HW-Monitor ?

Your troubleshooting looks good. I would probably try a clean install of Windows right about now. You can always temporarily disconnect all existing drives (as to not disturb them) and drop in a blank SSD and give it a try. Windows-10 , Updates, and OCCT (and/or that favorite game). Only takes an hour or so.

No Events found!