svan71
1 Copper

Area-51 R3 Threadripper, GEN 2 BIOS update

Those of us who invested in the X399 platform understand AMD is keeping their socket unchanged until 2020.  Allowing second and 3rd Gen cpus to run on the X399 chipset. This is why I purchased a 5k X399 system from Dell. Unless Dell updates the microcode on these systems we can do nothing. Dell has yet to incorporate AMD's Meltdown and Spectre patches and has not updated the microcode to support newer Threadripper cpu's. This is inexcusable for a system that costs this much.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Cass-Ole
4 Ruthenium

Re: ALIENWARE AREA51 R3 THREADRIPPER GEN 2 BIOS UPDATE

ProTip: Hop on Twitter & (gently) ask the General Mngr if R3 is scheduled soon to get firmware update to run TRipper 2 (if u don't get a reply w/ in 3-4 days he either was too busy, or has ignored the customer concern for whatever reason, or both). If no response then follow up w/the 'underling' ... you may CC or tweet directly to the top dawg also

The R7 2950x drivers debut was Nov 2nd & it is within a 2-3-4month window after a new product launch that 'old' systems get their update, if they in fact will get one. Debut was 3+ months ago, so the GM should be aware by now what the story is on R3/R6 updates (yes or no)

Intel X299 Bios update was just issued for older A51 R5, if u (gently) remind GM 'Intel just got theirs, where is ours???' etc

0 Kudos
IainOB
1 Copper

Re: ALIENWARE AREA51 R3 THREADRIPPER GEN 2 BIOS UPDATE

Any news on this - I have a  TR 2950 ready to go into my A51 R3 - just want to get it up and running!

0 Kudos