Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

4 Posts

March 7th, 2021 18:00

Area-51 R5, Bluetooth driver lagging my system

I have an Alienware Area 51 R5 that I recently bough a new SSD for and re-installed windows 10 on. I downloaded all of my system's drivers from the Dell website before installing, and I noticed that several of them had bluetooth mixed in with other drivers. For example, "Intel-3165-and-7265-Bluetooth-Driver_996KG_WIN_21.110.0.3_A11_02" as well as "Killer-Wireless-AC-1535-and-1435-Bluetooth-Driver_VGPP7_WIN_10.0.0.953_A15_02"

The other day I was playing Rise of the TombRaider, and the game was working fine at first, 60 fps in the benchmark too, but part way through playing with my Xbox One Controller connected via Bluetooth, (maybe 5 minutes in) the FPS tanked to 4fps (I tested it after the fact with Bandicam). I thought maybe there was something wrong with my GPU. Then I played Ark with my wife for several hours last night without issue so I thought it couldn't be my GPU. Today I tried playing M0nster Jam: Steel Titans and had the same issue (What the heck Dell, you don't allow the use of the word M0nster!? lol). I was scratching my head trying to figure out what the similarity between Tomb Raid and M0nster truck racing could be. Then I loaded a game called Headsnatchers which is a simple party game, and the same issue happened. I disconnected my Xbox controller and the lag instantly vanished. Then I turned it back on and the lag came back. Then I turned off bluetooth and connected via USB cable and no issue. So somehow, shockingly my Bluetooth driver is tanking the FPS in my games. I have no idea how this makes sense and don't really know how to troubleshoot. My only thought was that if two different driver installers included Bluetooth, things could be conflicting.

Any thoughts?

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

March 8th, 2021 10:00

Also, on the internet speed issue, try connecting your PC to the 5.0ghz band on your router.  It is faster anyway. Unless your router is really far away from your PC and need to use the 2.4 band.  Or better yet an ethernet cable. 

Bluetooth operates on the 2.4 band so there's probably cross interference. Or you can try changing the 2.4 wifi channel in your router if you can't use the 5.0 band. 

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

March 8th, 2021 10:00

Those are for two different cards, you would use the one for the card that your PC shipped with.  If you got the killer wifi card, then use the killer driver, otherwise use the Intel 3165 driver.  Only one driver would be installed at once, so whichever one you installed last is the one you have.  You can uninstall or roll it back in device manager. But as an aside windows should have auto-installed the newest (latest) driver for your PC.  

4 Posts

March 8th, 2021 15:00

I'm not having any issue with internet speed, but thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah, I got confused by Dell listing drivers for my computer that we're actually for my model. I didn't notice the little tag "Your computer" beside the ones that were my model. Managed to uninstall the intel drivers, but now my Xbox controller won't connect to wireless anymore so it's a moot point. It's like it's stuck in wired mode after I plugged it in via USB.

No Events found!