Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

1 Rookie

• 

44 Posts

April 6th, 2019 07:00

Area-51 R5, motherboard technical questions

Hi all, my Area-51 R5 is in order, but I have a few question that can't find in this service manual.

1) The M.2 slot in the motherboard, 9 solid-state drive slot (M2_SSD1), is a M.2 NVMe or M.2 SATA slot?
2) The slot 6 wireless card slot (M2_WLAN1), can it also be used for a SATA or NVMe SSD M.2 storage?
3) The two U.2 Connector can be used (maybe with an adapter if exist) for two standard 2.5" SSD SATA III instead U.2 storage?

Thanks in advance.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 6th, 2019 10:00

@DraftmanCorp wrote:

0) my area 51 r5 is in order, 

1) The M.2 slot in the motherboard (M2_SSD1), is a M.2 nvme or M.2 sata slot?
2) The slot (M2_WLAN1) can be used too for a Sata or nvme ssd M.2 storage?
3) The two U.2 Connector can be used (maybe with an adapter if exist) for two standard 2.5" SSD sata III instead U.2 storage?

0. Nice

1. M.2/PCIe/NVMe

2. Not likely

3. U.2 ports are for new-style U.2-SSDs.

If you want to connect 2.5inch SATA-3/600 SSDs, you connect those to the SATA ports instead.

1 Rookie

• 

44 Posts

April 7th, 2019 07:00

Thanks for reply, understand!

So, I will use the M2 slot with my actual nvme ssd.

Thenn, uhm, I can't, the 4 Sata port of the A51 R5 motherboard will be occupied from 4 HDDs that (actually) i'm using for storage daily in virtual raid mode.(I don't know where to put the 4th HDD becouse of the A51 has only 3 HDDs tray bay, maybe i put the 4th HDD in the bottom, leaning, near the psu...)

And Then, Missing other two Sata port for my two 2.5 SSD, I can install them to the U2 tray bay...then connect with a PCI-e cards with additional sata ports...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 7th, 2019 10:00

Yeah, something like that.

However, sounds like you are ready for a better storage solution, like:
- USB-3.0 Enclosures
- JBoD box
- Synology NAS running RAID-5

1 Rookie

• 

44 Posts

April 7th, 2019 14:00

Yes, you’r right I’ve already one Lacie Big 5 with 10TB via Ethernet for storage psd (photoshop) projects and more job stuff... The unique thing that i don’t like about nas (or external) storage, is that i have to switch on the device every time, and using Lan or Usb connection (relatively slow) instead direct SATA connection. Do you know, what is the LPC1 connection on the motherboard? Debug header... is essential to be connected?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 7th, 2019 15:00

@DraftmanCorp wrote:
1. The unique thing that i don’t like about nas (or external) storage, is that i have to switch on the device every time,

2. and using Lan or Usb connection (relatively slow) instead direct SATA connection.

1. I leave mine on ... connected to a nice APC-UPS of course.

2. I'm getting over 100mbs over gigabit ethernet. I think it can go even faster if I worked at it a bit.

1 Rookie

• 

44 Posts

April 8th, 2019 04:00

Clear,

My problem is power consumption becouse my office is my home. I have to shut down the devices after using them 

Any knowledge about LPC1 port on the motherboard? and what is its function?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 8th, 2019 08:00

LPC stands for Low Pin Count - it is the chip used to connect all of the "legacy" PC components on motherboards. For example it will control the PS/2, floppy, parallel and serial ports.

Before the LPC all of these devices were in the ISA bus and once boards stopped including ISA slots, they switched to LPC because it was a simpler interface for the small number of integrated devices they required. It is named because it has a lower pin count than ISA.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/program/design/us/en/documents/low-pin-count-interface-specification.pdf

1 Rookie

• 

44 Posts

April 9th, 2019 00:00

Great. Thanks. You are very ready to this argument

No Events found!