Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 26th, 2019 12:00

Aurora R1, Won't Boot

Hello,

The other day, a friend of mine gave me his old PC, an Alienware Aurora R1. I tested it out, and it worked fine, cleaned it, tested it out, still worked. After I was 100% sure it worked, I shut it off and went to sleep. The next day I was unable to turn it on. I figured it was due to the flakey power button mine had, which was loose anyway, and so I removed it and tried again. Still nothing. It even got to the point that I removed the front bezel and manually pressed the button. It still didn't work. I doubt it's the PSU, as not only does the red "POWER" light come on internally, but the PSU test button works fine, and starts up all the fans. The only thing I can think of that I messed with was removing the memory fan, as it was broken. I uploaded a video of it here to demonstrate the issue. Any help is appreciated! 

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

First thing to change on an old computer is the bios cmos coin cell battery. Buy a new one for about $2. Check the manual for the correct battery--usually a CR-2032 but might be diff on your model.

4 Posts

Okay, I’ll try that. I may have a compatible one laying around (fingers crossed).

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 26th, 2019 13:00

@jmajewski wrote:

1. I figured it was due to the flakey power button

2. I doubt it's the PSU, 

1. Like most computers, you can "jump-start it" at proper motherboard header pins.

1. You can test PS with a "Digital PS Tester".

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@jmajewski wrote:

What are the proper pins for that on the Aurora R1?

On the Aurora-R1 it would be the 2 pins that the power-switch connects to.

Should be similar to this Aurora-R4 (but I would follow the wires).

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R4-move-internals-to-new-case/m-p/7244409

4 Posts

Ok, I’ll try and figure that out then. And to short it I just put something metal on those two pins under the FRONT PANEL area on the motherboard?

4 Posts

What are the proper pins for that on the Aurora R1?

No Events found!