Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 7th, 2020 10:00

Aurora R10, BIOS update stuck in Alienware Update app

On a brand new R10 Ryzen , I went into the Alienware Update app and it said there is a new BIOS, so I clicked download & install. It's been stuck on "Installing updates (1 of 1)" for over an hour.

Is it safe to hit the "Cancel" button?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 13th, 2020 09:00

@jmarkoz    I then did the update via Support Assist and it succeeded.

It is good that worked out for you. However, you are driving through the danger zone by updating BIOS using Support Assist. Consider flashing a BIOS update from the F12 pre-boot menu, outside of Windows and without all of the programs and services running. The BIOS update should be downloaded to a non-bootable USB drive.

4 Posts

February 23rd, 2021 18:00

Lask,

For the latest update (1.0.4), I googled "Alienware Aurora R11 System BIOS" with the quotes. I then clicked on the matching Dell link. It brought me to a page for the previous bios - 1.0.3. On the page, there's a section that says, "Get the latest driver." I clicked on "Enter Details." A popup appeared that requested my Service Tag or Model. After providing the information, it took me to the correct page for bios 1.0.4. I manually downloaded the 1.0.4 install executable and then executed the downloaded file. It requested that I close all programs, which I did. It then rebooted my PC and installed the updated firmware with no issues.

The behavior this time was different than with 1.0.3. With 1.0.3 I had a dialog box open behind the Support Assistant window, so it was out of sight. This time, as some previous posts stated, no such dialog box appeared. So I manually download the file from the Dell website and executed it, myself.

Another thread I viewed strongly suggested that we don't use Support Assistant for firmware updates, stating that Support Assistant had in several cases messed up the firmware upgrade and made the computer unusable. My first attempt at downloading the upgrade executable worked without a hitch. If anyone has a less positive experience, please let us know.

3 Posts

March 7th, 2021 10:00

Thanks! Got the answer on this thread. For anyone still looking, I found a straightforward solution.

Open your browser and go to dell. Then click on something for sale like a laptop, so you can see a "cart" in the top right. Go to the cart and then sign in.

Then once you are signed in go to support tab and it will show your computer(s). Then update it using the web page.

Very fast. The bios update downloads in less than five seconds and then starts a typical bios update screen with giant crude letters for about five minutes and then reboots.

I am going to use the dell support update page on my web browser in the future. (I wonder if there was a security setting that kept it from proceeding. (someone did see a security prompt)

7 Posts

August 7th, 2020 11:00

I think it is safe to hit the cancel. After you hit the cancel, you should just ignore the BIOS update if you want to do it through SupportAssist. Just leave it alone. There are numbers of motherboard damaged due to BIOS update.

Please cancel it and pretend nothing happened

------

If you really want to update the BIOS, ignore the SupportAssist and update it manually.

2 Posts

August 13th, 2020 04:00

I hit the Cancel button and rebooted. No problems.

I then did the update via Support Assist and it succeeded.

35 Posts

August 19th, 2020 22:00

I don't know if this is relevant, but the same thing happened to me.

Let's say the Alienware Update app checks for updates on 8-4-2020, but the driver or BIOS date is dated 7-15-2020.

This mismatch between the last-checked-for-update date/publish date, and the driver date, seems to throw off the Alienware Update tool.

I first noticed it with BIOS updates. But I ran some tests, and it seems to affect just about any driver.

Also, let's say I use Alienware Update to install a Bluetooth driver. Then I uninstall the Bluetooth driver. It never recommends a replacement driver when I re-run the tool.

On Windows 7, the Dell utilities worked great. But the Microsoft Store versions of the utilities don't seem to act right on Windows 10.

1 Message

November 22nd, 2020 06:00

I am experiencing the same thing with Aurora R11 on PC bought in September. I ran the update checker and it said several updates were needed. I downloaded them and the dialog went away. Some tasks may have installed but no reboot and not BIOS. So I ran update checker again and it still said last update “Never.” So I clicked Update and it has been installing R11 System BIOS for over and hour. I finally clicked Cancel and it says “can no longer be cancelled!” So I’m really stuck and worried that if I shut down or restart that I will damage the system. 

1 Message

November 27th, 2020 16:00

How did it go finally? I'm having the same problem with my m15 r3 with this new Nov 25 BIOS update... cant be cancelled anymore

4 Posts

December 8th, 2020 08:00

Mine did the same thing.  As it turned out, a dialog box requesting my input had appeared BEHIND the Support Assistant window, so it wasn't visible.  It appeared after I minimized the Support Assistant window, and had been visible on the taskbar, which I had neglected to look at.  Once you click on the appropriate button on the dialog box your firmware will be updated - your computer will reboot, and you can watch the progress as it goes through several steps in the upgrade process.

4 Posts

December 8th, 2020 16:00

Better stated: when the firmware download finishes, Support Assistant appears to freeze. In fact, a dialog box has appeared BEHIND Support Assistant and out of your view requesting your permission to reboot your computer to update the firmware. If you don't notice this dialog box and reboot the computer, yourself, it reboots normally - your firmware is NOT updated, nor is your computer harmed. If you use the dialog box to reboot your computer, then the firmware is updated during the reboot process - you are shown the progress of the update as it happens.

1 Message

January 20th, 2021 19:00

I have had the same problem with the Alienware system bios not updating.

In my case there has never been any window hiding behind the SupportAssist window

waiting for any response from me to continue.

3 Posts

January 21st, 2021 09:00

did manual update now @ 1.0.8 is that correct?

January 21st, 2021 15:00

Mine also has the same issue here. Is it OK to close the Alienware Update when it's saying that the current operation can no longer be canceled? Can I shut down or restart the PC? I have been waiting forever and don't know what to do.

I just restarted my R10 and it looks like everything is running OK for now. As a new Dell user, I never knew that Dell would push such a headache to their users. Now I know that I should ignore the BIOS update.

Phew. 

OK guys, I just closed the Alienware Update app. Good luck to myself.

No Events found!