Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 7th, 2020 10:00

Aurora R10, BIOS update stuck in Alienware Update app

On a brand new R10 Ryzen , I went into the Alienware Update app and it said there is a new BIOS, so I clicked download & install. It's been stuck on "Installing updates (1 of 1)" for over an hour.

Is it safe to hit the "Cancel" button?

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

January 21st, 2021 22:00

I had the same problem, and I ended up using the manual updater.

What I would suggest is close the auto updater when it hangs, not reboot, and run the manual bios updater.

I think that's a better solution than rebooting when the auto updater might or might not have completed the flashing process.

1 Message

February 3rd, 2021 03:00

same here, what did you do to fix it? please 

1 Message

February 22nd, 2021 11:00

i’m having the same problem is it safe to reboot or shutdown my alienware? 

4 Posts

February 23rd, 2021 18:00

Yes, you can shut down or reboot your computer.  When the downloaded executable starts, a dialog box immediately appears requesting that you close all open programs.  Even though the executable has started, the firmware upgrade doesn't start until you click on this box affirming that you have closed all open programs.  In my case, the instance I clicked on OK, my PC rebooted and the bios update began.  

We're seeing two situations happen: 

1) The dialog box never appears, meaning that Support Assistant isn't starting the update executable.

2) The dialog box appears but behind the Support Assistant window, meaning you can't see it so you don't know that the upgrade won't start until you click on OK to initiate the process.

In either case, the actual update hasn't begun, so you can shut down or reboot your PC.

March 10th, 2021 09:00

Makes sense thank you

1 Message

March 7th, 2022 13:00

I flashed a BIOS update from the F12 pre-boot menu using a flash drive but it has no progress bar. Its stuck on the BIOS flash update menu with a dimmed screen. Its been 30 mins. What should I do? 

No Events found!