Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Message

August 30th, 2021 08:00

Aurora R10, Noctua fans, AWCC cooling curve/offset

My R10 Ryzen Edition is about a week old, and I have a question about fan upgrades. I have a 5900X and 3080 Ti...a toasty combination.

I've upgraded the cooling system with 4 Noctua fans: 

2 front fans with a y-splitter to the intake header: 

• Noctua NF-A12x25 replacement for front intake 
  • Noctua NF-A12x25 top intake addition (removed HDD)

2 fans for the top radiator: 

• 2x Noctua NF-A12x25 in a push-pull configuration

The fans work great, much quieter, no BIOS errors, etc. I'm using AWCC to set thermals, and have a question for people who have done a similar upgrade: 

Did you set a custom smooth line fan curve, or did you set a standard fan offset? Or is it fine to use the built-in performance/balanced/quiet profiles? I don't care that much about the noise, it's more to ensure adequate cooling with these lower RPM fans that the Dell mobo still recognizes as the high-RPM stock fans.

1 Rookie

• 

676 Posts

August 30th, 2021 10:00

I do the Thermal Offset Manually for my game profile. I have the stock fans still in my r11.

Front Fan @ 49 % 

Top Fan @ 50 % 

I have that profile set to my game profile so when I start the game the fans perform at these setting. I also have a Cool Down profile Top 35 % Front 35%

With your Noctua's you can opt for 100 % I would guess. 

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

August 30th, 2021 11:00

The Noctua's are whisper silent up to 85% of their rated speed. Anything higher and they produce somewhat of a high pitched sound. Not a lot, but just enough to be annoying.

1 Rookie

• 

676 Posts

The fans dont throttle up and down with the manual offset settings from what I have experienced which helps keep the frequencies at a stable limit. I’m guessing here. But I have noticed stable temps this way. This is just RPM's for the fan setting no game loaded.

R11-GameFanRPM-TOP50-FRNT50.PNG The RPMs @ Top50 and Front 49. I would guess again that the Noctuas might as well run full blast while gaming. 

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

I have a manual offset for the intake at 43% and something like 52% on the (original) top fan.

I never understood exactly how the offsets work, even with the original fans, but I just look at the speed in %.

Another tool to use is Open Hardware Monitor Alienware Edition. That one will show actual (correct) fan speed for the Noctua's and allows steps of 5% under manual control. It will provide much better manual control than AWCC. It looks to me like AWCC just provides low-medium-fast speeds in the offset menu.

1 Rookie

• 

676 Posts

September 1st, 2021 12:00

Wrong picture goofy that was a 50 %Top and 50% Front Rpms for stock fans.

62 Posts

September 5th, 2021 01:00

I can’t get my fans to go a live 50% on AWCC, no matter what the offset or curves are set at. 

noctua front, H60 fan top. 

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

September 5th, 2021 10:00

You have to look at the RPM on the replacement fans. The original fans are something like 4000 RPM. So if you replace them with 2000 RPM fans, 50% would be the maximum as per AWCC as that would be 2000 RPM on the fans.

Don't ask me why they hard coded it that way into AWCC, but that is what they did. If you want to double check your actual reported fan speed, you can do so with Open Hardware Monitor Alienware Edition. It will show actual fan RPM.

AWCC always assume the fan maximum speed is the original, and feedback is based on how much voltage is reported back based on the feedback signal. So it thinks it is only running at 50% of its speed, because it is expecting 4000 RPM and is only seeing 2000 RPM.

Any other utility I know off displays fan speed based on control signal, 100% control = 100% speed.

62 Posts

September 5th, 2021 19:00

Thanks for this explanation, it makes a lot of sense.

Have downloaded the Open Hardware Monitor Alienware Edition and it shows the fan speeds as rpm.
Looking at the specs and values reported, it looks like the top H60 fan can only run to 1700 RPM (so 42% of the original 4,000 rpm), where as the Noctua A can run to 2000 (so 50% of 4,000).

The H60 CPU pump (powered off constant sata supply) just so happens to run around the 4100rmp mark, so reports as 100% within the AWCC.

THANKS, much appreciated the confidence here.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

September 8th, 2021 14:00

Front and top fan use same temperature reading probe. I am assuming that is the CPU temperature probe as it coincides with the CPU temperature I measure with MSI Afterburner.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

The other thing to keep into consideration is that open hardware monitor allows manual speed control in steps of 5%, 0 - 100 %. 

AWCC only has low/med/high and is lacking the granular approach. 

For those wanting to fine tune and maximize the airflow versus noise, open hardware monitor is the better choice in my opinion.

62 Posts

In AWCC I see pretty much the same temperature reading value above each of the 3 fan displays. It’s the same value basically on all fans. 

When I use the open hardware monitor (Alienware edition) I see three different values displayed as I’d expect. 

Does anyone else have this situation?

10 Posts

April 27th, 2022 09:00

I have the same setup in my R9, i9900KS, similar GPU, idle at 39C-42C for normal work. 
Top Fan offset - 42%
Front Fan offset - 50%

**Gaming used different a thermal profile.

No Events found!