Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 3rd, 2021 11:00

Aurora R10, Ryzen 7 5800 overheating approaching 100C

Hey community,

I am writing in to get some understanding of what is normal, and what is not normal.

From everything I have read, CPU temps should be at a comfortable 80-85 maximum, on full load.

I just got my Aurora R10 with a Ryzen 7 5800 CPU. I've been playing Rust on Steam.

Conditions:
Rust near maximum settings
-Max 22% CPU usage
-Temperature reached 97 degrees Celsius
-Fans set to Quiet

Called support, they updated all the things (yes I said that)

Launched Rust again, same issue, but only slightly better.

I turned the fan speed to 100% Maximum, with 21% CPU usage it was peaking at 93 Celsius.

Not normal, right? I'm planning on returning it but hoping Dell will count this as defective and not nail me for restock and return shipping. We're talking about a couple hundred dollars on this.

All thoughts on this help!

Thanks,
Danny

Quick edit:
The fan speed and temp were oscillating. It was like a child flipping a switch for a light. Up and down up and down, as if it wasn't sure what it should be doing.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

April 3rd, 2021 16:00

95 Celsius is bad. At 95 Celsius the CPU is scaling back performance, often called "throttling", to prevent itself from damage.

When it is throttling, it does so by dropping the frequency and supply voltage down to limit thermals. It will keep scaling down to stay at or below 95 Celsius.

Basically, your performance goes down the drain and it will not perform to the standards it is capable of.

If Dell says "it is ok" and "within specs", that is only because the processor is limiting itself and will do anything it can to keep going past 95 Celsius and stay "within specs". 

If you think about it, you are only 5 Celsius away from the temperature required to turn water into steam.

You have definitely something going on that is not right.

11 Posts

Great question

Air cooled with the 550W power supply

Ambient temp 21C, not surrounded by anything at all.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

The air cooling is your problem. There are several threads on this board that discuss this in great detail. The overall consensus is that the low profile air cooler in the Alienware aurora case(s) is not enough for the Ryzen 5000 series, and some other configurations.

I would browse those threads, lot's of good information already available there.

I was also wrong on my previous statement. Max temperature for OEM Ryzen 5800 is 95 Celsius.

I was looking at the 5800X, I forgot Alienware only uses OEM processors.

97 is still above maximum allowed. Not good, should never reach 97. 

Specs for 5800 OEM only:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-5800

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

90 Celsius is the maximum allowable temperature as per AMD specs. If you went up to 97 there's a serious chance you have a damaged CPU, or at least seriously impacted it's lifespan.

I would ensure DELL includes a new CPU with whatever fix they have ready for you. Otherwise you might run into problems further down the road, if not already.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

Is this liquid cooled, or air cooled?

11 Posts

So given that, Is this a defect in the CPU or the design?

My hope is that Dell acknowledges that there's definitely an issue and allows the return, and then I am considering re-ordering with liquid cooling and hoping this next one isn't defective either!

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

April 3rd, 2021 13:00

Below is a picture of my 3700X That has the same TDP as your 5800, while running a single Cinebench multithread benchmark.

You can see the highest temperature it reached was 69.5 Celsius, with a maximum power consumption of around 90 Watts.

You can also see the CPU temperature dropping fast once the benchmark has finished to 45 Celsius and down. You can see the CPU load and temperature graphs over time in the MSI afterburner window to the right of the HWinfo Sensor readouts.

A good fast rise down indicates a properly setup cooling solution. 

Untitled.png

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

April 3rd, 2021 13:00

I do not know where the defect lies. It would require additional troubleshooting by Dell to figure out the root cause of the issue.

Going by various other threads on this board it seems to be happening to others also and related to a less than optimal cooling solution.

I am going to speculate the issue is not with the CPU itself, but with the actual cooling solution.

The air cooler is a low profile cooler, and the Alienware case(s) are a custom design. It's overall accepted by various other users that the air flow in the case is not optimal for air cooling.

Combine that with a low profile cooler that relies on good continuous cool air flow, it could explain why these high temperature are reached. If you Youtube it you can also see others struggle with the high temperatures.

My R10 has a 3700X in it that interestingly enough has the same TDP of 65 Watts as the 5800 OEM model has.

Going by that, if my cooling solution can keep the CPU temps at 60 Celsius maximum while gaming, and your cooling solutions is not capable of keeping it below 95 Celsius, I would have to deduct the issue is the cooling solution or the setup of it. (air versus liquid cooling). Could also be a non working fan, incorrect applied heatsink/thermal paste, incorrect overclocking settings in bios, excess Vcore voltage on the CPU etc...

Something you could try is download a free utility called HWINFO64. If you run it, and click on the sensor tab, and then scroll down to the setting highlighted in the picture below, you can see the power usage of your CPU.

It should stay around 65 Watts maximum for the 5800 OEM. If it is abnormally high than that would explain the temperature issue.

Untitled.png

11 Posts

April 3rd, 2021 14:00

temps.pngSo just discovered something.

MSI After burner is reading my PC idling at 26-30C.

Alien Command Center is reading that same value as 50-55.

So, maybe my PC is fine?

Anyways, point is if the Command Center is inaccurate, but it controls my fan noise, there will be a substantially higher fan noise as a result. The first thing I noticed starting this thing up was that it was loud due to fans.

Any suggestions on this? Awaiting reply for tech support but it's been awhile.

11 Posts

April 3rd, 2021 15:00

Ignore last post, it was a mistake.
MSI was reading GPU temp not CPU.

CPU temp tested for a Max of 95 C. aa.jpg

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

April 3rd, 2021 16:00

The afterburner screenshot you took is from the main window, and it shows the GPU temperature.

To see the CPU temperature you have to open up the hardware monitor of Afterburner.

That should give you a whole bunch of graphs, including the CPU temperature and CPU usage in %.

CPU usage at idle should be 1-4 % maximum and fluctuate, while at the same time your CPU frequency should fluctuate between base clock and boost clock.

11 Posts

April 3rd, 2021 18:00

Thanks for the help, I appreciate that and your availability to the post.

Plan is to return it. Gonna look at an R12 possibly, DEFINITELY with liquid cooling. Not quite sure what's going on with this one but from what I got from the representative, they're gonna make it right

Take care

2 Posts

October 26th, 2021 14:00

I came across this thread, its so funny because I have an R10 Ryzen edition with a 5900x and when I play back 4 blood I hit 86 C for a water cooled solution which I think is insane. I have an RTX 3800, I do have a 4 year warranty too. I wish we could just buy components ourselves but its impossible now a days

509 Posts

October 27th, 2021 00:00

You can get the X series Ryzen on the R10, 5800X 5900X and 5950X. 

509 Posts

October 27th, 2021 01:00

Wouldn't go with an R12, performance is much worse than an R10

No Events found!