Start a Conversation

Unsolved

I

8 Posts

May 23rd, 2020 14:00

Aurora R10, can I manually control my fan speed?

Hello,

Like the title says... how can i do that?

When i start my pc the fan goes 100% then the system realizes that it does not have any load just startup and goes  quiet back again.

When i start a game like Hon which should be like fly in terms of load for the monster that i got my fans start to ramp up speed to the point of bothering me with my headphones on.

Is there an option in bios that i overlooked so I can manually set rpm limit to fans?

I already ordered and are on the way 2 fans Corsair ml 120 pro for top fan and a Noctua for front so i don't get bios failures.

I am preparing to add another gpu  2080 ti inside ...waiting on the nvdia  3 slot nvlink to arrive and since i started my documentation realizing that the case mid tower has lack of space and a lot of heat i am considering to remove my sata hard drive ( anyway i don't use it) to make more room and use less from power from psu all my sata bays and hopefully i won't have a barbecue inside.

All opinions on my current question and future plans (Sli nvlink 2080 RTX TI on R10 Ryzen edtion) are welcomed!

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

May 23rd, 2020 20:00

You can use Alienware Control Center (AWCC), thermal controls, to create your own fan curve.  

8 Posts

May 24th, 2020 00:00

is there a tutorial cause i tried and did not realy managed

8 Posts

May 29th, 2020 08:00

is there any tutorial on the fans curves of fan tmep and rpm?

8 Posts

May 29th, 2020 08:00

I am not running any games but my temps are still high and the fans are loud.... tooo loud anything i do in awcc like quiet mode does not help.... i mean is this normal in the pic below noalieen.pngt running anything?

8 Posts

May 29th, 2020 22:00

Also wasn't the pump supposed to appear in awcc?

35 Posts

May 31st, 2020 19:00

I had the same issue. Mine was caused by AWCC.background.server running in the background at 20% CPU

You need to check yours by opening up Task Manager

Fix:

1. Remove Alienware Command Suite and Alienware Command Center.
2. Reinstall Alienware Command Center

**I had installation error with AWCC version 5.2.81.0. Try install latest version or [install 5.2.75.0 first then upgrade to latest]

July 26th, 2020 17:00

Hi there, I am curious to find out if you were able to solve your issue with the fans. I saw the pic you posted and I was so surprised to see that my machine (which i got two weeks ago) has been behaving in the exact same way since day one. Please let me know, I am sick of hearing those loud fans all the time! lol Oh, fyi, I have the 3950x, which is a beast, but of course also runs pretty hot. Thanks!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 26th, 2020 17:00

@Salvamando    I am sick of hearing those loud fans . . . I have the 3950x, which is a beast, but of course also runs pretty hot.

Consider getting some better quality, more quiet fans. You may be able to get away with these  Noctua  fans without getting the BIOS start-up error on an Aurora R10 (no guarantee). Noctua fans are ugly   but very quiet. Also, consider adding a second fan to the top of your radiator for a push/pull configuration. More cooling for the CPU, and more hot air exhausted from the case.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 27th, 2020 05:00

Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM, Premium Quiet Fan, 4-Pin (120mm, Brown)
USB power adaptor cable allows the fan to run on devices with USB host ports, power banks or USB power supplies such as those used by smartphones

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A12x25-5V-PWM-Premium/dp/B07DXQTCK6

They have more blades and the blades are curved so that they are not as noizy.  Its a design chosen by several users here.  I have them also.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 16th, 2020 10:00

@invader80    . . . can comment

What are your system components (CPU, graphics card, PSU, etc.)? Are you working with an air cooled CPU in a Ryzen R10? Drop some photos if you can.

7 Posts

August 16th, 2020 10:00

I tried switching the pins on the motherboard last night to see what happens, i.e. I hooked up the top fan to the CPU pin and vise versa. The temp on my cpu dropped by 20 degrees and PC is quiet, top fan never blows loudly. Also max cpu temps at 100% utilization dropped by 7 degrees. (This fan setup seems like bad engineering to me.)

I'm not sure if this will have any effect on the CPU fan, just something I tried for a little while. Anyone more knowledgeable about the fans (I'm assuming both are same voltage, but not certain.) can comment.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 16th, 2020 11:00

@invader80 

I would advise not switching the connectors. The top fan looks to be 120mm and the CPU air cooler fan appears to be 80mm. If you need to quiet your rig down, switch to better quality fans. What are your actual CPU & GPU temp readings; idle and load? "dropped by 7 degrees" could mean 150C to 143C  

image.png

7 Posts

August 16th, 2020 11:00

Air Cooled

Alienware Aurora R10
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)
AMD Ryzen(TM) 7 3700X (8-Core, 32MB L3 Cache, Max Boost Clock of 4.4GHz)
Dark side of the moon chassis with Low-Profile Smart Cooling CPU Heatsink and 550W Power Supply
1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
16GB Dual Channel HyperX(FM) FURY DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz

The top fan was very loud once CPU utilization went above 15-20 %. Switching top fan / CPU fan pin connectors makes the system quieter at load. (I plugged the top fan into the CPU pin on the motherboard and vise versa.)

I don't know if it's advisable to switch the FAN pins, but solves the fan noise issue.

Looking for more experienced persons than me to comment. 

7 Posts

August 16th, 2020 13:00

If anyone has the same setup can you please share your CPU temp at 100% load.

I was using https://silver.urih.com/ for temp stress testing. I believe 95C is the thermal limit for the Ryzen 7 3700x and my CPU temp is hitting 95C with factory setup. 

I don't know if this is to be expected, but seems high, and was wondering if I should replace the thermal past or if anyone has CPU fan recommendations. 

Thanks in advance!

7 Posts

August 16th, 2020 13:00

With factory setup at idle CPU temp was at 50C. With the fan inputs switched it was 43C.

With factory setup at 100% load CPU temp was 95C. With the fan inputs switched it was 89C.

I noticed in the Alienware Command Center that the top fan speeds would increase with load, while CPU fan rpm's remained about the same. This lead me the attempt switching the fan inputs.

With the inputs switched it seems the CPU fan is spinning faster which I assume is why cpu temps are lower.

I also ordered the CORSAIR - ML Series 120mm Case Cooling Fan - White and will install it once received.

I was just interesting that switching the fan inputs resulted on lower temps, but like I mentioned I don't know if this has any negative repercussions. 

No Events found!