Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

10 Posts

November 15th, 2022 16:00

Aurora R10, Thermaltake TH120 fit?

Hi all,

I'm looking at options to install AIO on my Aurora R10 with Ryzen 7 5800X and 3060 Ti.

I know the most common option is to Corsair H60 but they are getting quite hard to find here in Australia (mostly discontinued in seems) unless I pay a very high price so considering what other AIO's may fit in the Aurora R10.

Can someone advise whether Thermaltake TH120 ARGB Sync AIO Liquid Cooler will fit and whether Aurora R10 has all the necessary connectors in place to install it?

If you are aware of any other AIO's that works with Aurora R10, can you please share?

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

November 15th, 2022 18:00

The Thermaltake 120mm AIO would physically fit in the Aurora R10. You do not have a 5V ARGB header on your motherboard, so the lighting would not work without an alternative controller. The included 3-pin fan, which they characterize as "high static pressure" offers 1.31 mm-H20 . . . which is not high static pressure. You could consider swapping this fan for Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM.

We just tried to get the NZXT 120mm Kraken installed on another R10, apparently with limited success. You could check availability down under for EVGA CLC 120mm AIO which appears to be compatible.

Whichever AIO you choose . . . you do not need to install a motherboard backplate, and the Aurora R10 AMD CPU uses Intel mounting configuration/ Intel mounting hardware. If your rig is currently air cooled and does not have the VRM heat sink, that will be necessary to install with liquid cooling.

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

November 15th, 2022 19:00

This could be another potential option bequiet! Pure Loop 120mm which looks to be much better quality, and they have distributors in Australia. It appears to be all SATA powered, so some consideration would be needed to avoid the diagnostic startup error . . . could be as simple as push/pull configuration so there is a fan to connect to CPU_FAN and TOP_FAN mobo headers.

10 Posts

November 15th, 2022 20:00

Thanks ProfessorW00d. I actually came across EVGA during my search but they seem to be even more difficult to find. I could only find it on Amazon and it's priced at AUD$212, which is bonkers.

I honestly do not care at all about RGB as long as everything else functions without connecting the RGB connector. 

I'm trying to see if I can source the stock AIO from Dell directly, but dealing with their customer service is such a painful and ardous experience. I did get a quote this morning but I have no idea why they included bunch of other fans and heatsink that I didn't even ask for. I asked for quote on MH0HN cooler and vrm heatsinks but they gave me quote for all of the items below?!

a. ASSY,HTSNK,CPU,95W,L-COOLER,R6 part no. MH0HN
b. ASSY,HTSNK,MNSTRM,MT,D9 part no. F1M53
c. ASSY,FAN,TOP,W/BRKT,R5 part no. 78JPW
d. ASSY,FAN,R5/VM part no. 7M0F5

I actually need to open up my case and double check whether I have the VRM heatsinks or not. I know air cooled R10's normally don't get the heatsinks but I've read about a fellow Aussie who ordered air cooled R10 but his came with heatsinks installed.

10 Posts

November 15th, 2022 20:00

I presume you mean that if it's all SATA powered, I could install two fans in push pull configuration and connect those two fans to the CPU_FAN and TOP_FAN which would prevent the BIOS from throwing error?

Is it correct the stock AIO and Corsair H60 connects the pump to the CPU_FAN header and radiator fan to TOP_FAN header?

10 Posts

November 15th, 2022 21:00

Here's hoping mine has a VRM heatsinks already installed, but I doubt it.

When I spoke to Dell over the phone they told me they can't sell me the heatsinks because they are third party products (?). Her English was terrible so it was difficult to actually figure out what she meant. She then told me there are substitue products for the heatsinks so I thought maybe they are updated parts for VRM heatsinks.

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

You do not need all of those parts. The Dell AIO cooler comes with a (super loud) fan . . . which can be thrown in the trash and replaced with  Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM.

I have also seen air cooled Auroras shipped with the VRM heat sink. Perhaps started out life as liquid cooled at the factory . . . and got modified.

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

The stock OEM AIO runs a 4-pin power connector to PUMP_FAN, which signals to diagnostics that the CPU is liquid cooled, so no connection to CPU_FAN is required, but VRM heat sink is required, or an error is thrown. The Corsair H60 (2018) is SATA powered, has a 3-pin connector to PUMP_FAN, which is not sufficient to signal diagnostics that the CPU is liquid cooled. Therefore the 3-pin (one wire) tach cable is connected to CPU_FAN, which is sufficient to pass the diagnostic startup test as a "CPU fan".

For the bequiet AIO, it appears everything is SATA powered, so the lighting may actually work. With no 4-pin connector at PUMP_FAN, diagnostics will detect an air cooled CPU. Therefore, as you suggested, one fan of a push/pull configuration could be connected to CPU_FAN . . . there must also be a fan connected to TOP_FAN to avoid the startup error. With this setup, you should not get an error for lacking the VRM heat sink, since diagnostics detects an air cooled CPU. However, the VRM heat sink is strongly suggested to avoid damage to mobo voltage regulators.

12 Posts

December 16th, 2022 03:00

Hi,

Just wondering if you had any success with the Thermaltake TH120?

I have the same issue with the noisy R10 and am looking to upgrade - stock cooling is not great and insanely noisy.

For reference here is a step by step tutorial for the upgrade (to corsair H60) that might be a good reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POnyAepWyQs

Please post any updates

Also, does anyone know if is it essential to add the heat sinks when upgrading to liquid cooling (heat-sinks detailed at 5:20 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNqElbt-Ga0)

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

December 16th, 2022 06:00

The VRM heatsinks are only needed if you don't want to nuke your voltage regulators. A fried regulator means a new motherboard . . . you decide.

210 Posts

December 16th, 2022 10:00

Some mobo's actually need the heatsinks because, when installed, they make a closed curcuit that can be detected

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

December 18th, 2022 05:00

I would honestly go new case and motherboard, especially with the Christmas sales going on right now.

Will also make any future upgrades a lot less painful.

12 Posts

December 18th, 2022 05:00

Thanks!

Annoyingly the little heatsinks are around AU$70 on ebay (4D5V9 J46J2)...

Heatsink for the r11/r12 are $33 and look the same (0N1C1D) - any idea if it will work on the r10?

If I were to just upgrade to another air cooler (like the Noctua 120mm NF-A12x25 PWM 2000RPM Fan as another poster suggested) would I still need to add the heatsinks?  

Cheap solution required or I will just get a new case and Motherboard then strip the r10.

Annoying that dell didn't just make the machine reasonably quiet in the first place!

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

December 18th, 2022 09:00

Unfortunately, the heatsinks are not interchangeable. The R10 has a two heatsink configuration. If you upgraded to another CPU air cooling system, you would not need the VRM heatsinks.

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

December 18th, 2022 09:00

Startup diagnostics will only look for this "closed circuit" if it detects a liquid cooled CPU. If it detects an air cooled CPU, no "closed circuit" is required.

10 Posts

December 18th, 2022 16:00

YMMV but I was able to order the stock AIO and the two heatsinks from Dell and it only cost me AUD$33 delivered. It took a lot of effort get the order through however. No idea how it's so cheap but I wasn't about to ask. I've got Arctic P12 fan as the front intake fan and replaced the radiator fan with Corsair ML120 Pro. I have another ML120 Pro fan which I bought for push/pull setup but been lazy to get around to installing it. 

No Events found!