Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

39 Posts

July 22nd, 2020 14:00

Aurora R10, chassis, swap of fans, questions

Hello,

Question is for the Aurora R10 AMD Ryzen edition (I believe it's a B550A motherboard)

I read in some threads for the Aurora R9, that the only top fans that work with Auroras are the Corsair ML120 Pro variant WITH the 4-pin cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G5I6MT8?pf_rd_r=G4S3JJHDMP7MMGP5WDE9&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee

What I understand is, the top fan swap is as unscrew the old one, and plug in the new one with the 4-pin cable, correct?

However, I also read that after you plug in this Corsair fan, while it's great that the Aurora system will not throw error codes during boot up; the Dell system software (I forget which one) will not be able to control or display correct information regarding the operation of the fan. 

Can someone who have done this, please advise if that is true or not? Thanks!

NOTE: I also plan to swap out the front fan for my Aurora R10 Ryzen system with the Noctua fan with the 4-pin cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00650P2ZC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1Z5H6ZGWCMTNX&psc=1 

Again, I only assume its a simple screw out, replace and plug in. No system software will be affected, and the Dell software utilities will just think it's the same fan.

Thanks in advance for any help.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 21st, 2020 17:00

@mxp0    I am on the latest BIOS (as of this writing) which is ver 1.07 and there were NO BIOS errors reported.

Great job! Consider dropping some photos if you have them. Interesting that the Noctua does not throw the BIOS start-up error 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 21st, 2020 22:00

@r72019    Yea lotta people been getting away with non corsair ml120 pros lately. 

Yes . . . the modder in the other thread that did CPU air cooling with 2 fans in the attic (but no radiator) used ML120 Pro . . . but with LED. I don't think that would work in your rig either 

1 Rookie

• 

39 Posts

August 23rd, 2020 20:00

@r72019 , @Anonymous ,

I don't know if the latest BIOS 1.07 which I am currently on, fixed previous issues with the Noctua's. Anyways here are a couple of pics of the Top Fan and Front Fan.

IMG_0721.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

August 24th, 2020 07:00

Has anyone tried to replace the STOCK air-cooled cpu fan? After replacing both top and front with the ML-120 pro, the cpu fan is noticeably loud now!

August 24th, 2020 08:00

Is there a difference between the H60 and H75? Like I said I already have 2 ML-120pro fans on top and front case fan areas. Did I need a third? Is the cooler plug and play as in it plugs into the connector on the mobo next to top fan that says pump?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@mxp0    Anyways here are a couple of pics of the Top Fan and Front Fan.

Looks great . . . nice job. Those are the 2000 rpm Noctua fans, so that should keep the air flowing.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@Scralatchtica824    Has anyone tried to replace the STOCK air-cooled cpu fan? After replacing both top and front with the ML-120 pro, the cpu fan is noticeably loud now!

Your next step would be to replace the CPU air cooler with the Corsair H60 AIO liquid cooler. The CPU air cooler is inadequate for your CPU power in this air flow starved nano-case.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@Scralatchtica824    Is there a difference between the H60 and H75?

The H75 comes with two fans, where the H60 comes with one fan. It sounds like you already have plenty of fans, so H60 would work. If you are going to configure a push/pull radiator sandwich, you would need a PWM Y-splitter adapter cable for the 2 top fans.

radiator fan(s) to TOP FAN

pump to PUMP FAN

front fan to FRONT FAN

CPU FAN header is * empty *

August 31st, 2020 21:00

I'm noticing the gpu fan on my 2080super does make a bit of noise still hoping to swap out to the AIO to cool down the entire interior of the computer and eliminate the one small fan all-together.

1 Rookie

• 

39 Posts

September 4th, 2020 23:00

Hi @Anonymous 

I have some further questions if you don't mind:

Recently I have been playing with the AWCC Thermal Profiles; and using CPU-Z's simple benchmark option "Stress CPU" function.

I started with Default and observed the Fan Speed %'s. It seems all 3 Temps (CPU, Top and Front) kinda move together. Is there a bug in AWCC ?

Then, I tried some new settings from "Advanced" --> Smooth Lines --> mapped out some  Fan Speed vs Temp curves. Nothing I do here changes the Fan Speed. It seems that Fan Speeds are non configurable??  

Here's what I observed:

CPU Fan: (Dell supplied std CPU fan) At idle, my temps are ~53% with CPU Fan 53%. But no matter what I do, its always constant at around 53% fan speed even when CPU temps go up to 90degC when using the CPU-Z Stress CPU function.

Top Fan: (Noctua mod) starts around 37% fan speed at idle, and steadily cranks up to 53% maximum, even when CPU temps are at 90degC . 

Front Fan: (Noctua mod) - this one is odd... The fan literally stays constant at 31% no matter what the Front Fan temp displays. 

I didn't run any of these tests with the Dell stock fans so I don't know if its all the same thing... 

Are you able to tell if I missed something ?

Thanks!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 5th, 2020 10:00

@mxp0    Recently I have been playing with the AWCC Thermal Profiles; and using CPU-Z's simple benchmark option "Stress CPU" function.

We will need to ping the Aliens    @r72019   @GTS81     for AWCC questions, as I do not have that app.  I do not know from where AWCC sources the values for top fan temp and front fan temp. To my knowledge, there are no temperature sensors in those areas.

I cannot even recommend another app to try to control and measure fan speed, because none of my case fans are modulated, and I do not have a fan on my CPU or GPU.  Perhaps   will have some suggestions.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

September 5th, 2020 13:00

Default is: 

Top Fan header = CPU sensor

Front fan header = hard drive sensor. 

You can change the default by adding a manual fan curve, and/or changing the target sensor. 

When you use third party fans, issues come up with the voltage regulation programmed into the bios, which is designed to track the OEM fans.  You can use a third party app to more precisely control the fans too if AWCC is insufficient. 

1 Rookie

• 

39 Posts

September 5th, 2020 22:00

Thanks for re-directing @Anonymous 

Hi @r72019 , I tried both AWCC manual settings using either "Offset" values (set a 80% fan speed) and "Smooth Line" (linear line speed vs temp) ; Hit Save to a new Profile. In both cases, nothing is recognized by AWCC.

My cpu fan is factory stock and yet, it does nothing at all when using manual settings. I have a Noctua fan in the top fan (No BIOS issue or warnings) so will it adversely affect the CPU fan's function with AWCC?

At this point, unless I am doing something wrong with AWCC or my Noctua top and front fans are unrecognizable by AWCC, I will need to resort to using a 3rd party fan control app that will work with the R10 chassis and/or Noctua's.

Could you pls help recommend some compatible apps that Alienware members typically use? Thanks!  

1 Message

October 5th, 2020 15:00

Hi mxp0,

I have the Alienware Aurora Ryzen Edition liquid cooled CPU from dell. I received it in the mail about 3 weeks ago. I replaced my top liquid cooled CPU fan with this one
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C5VG64V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

and I replaced my front chassis fan with this one
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00650P2ZC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Both worked perfectly fine for me. In the Alienware command center, I can adjust through offset and watch the fan speed change. The CPU fan changes between 29% and 35% automatically with no adjustment from myself. The front chassis fan usually doesn't change from 27% but if I use the offset setting it will adjust accordingly. There are no BIOS errors on start up but, if I attempt to run a test through the BIOS on startup, I'll get an error with those two fans, even though they work just fine. I don't care about the error because they work fine and adjust accordingly. Don't know if that helps but, I can confirm that these two fans for the Alienware Aurora Ryzen Edition do in fact work without a BIOS error on start up, and will adjust speed accordingly to temp and can be adjusted manually through the Alienware command center.

Removing and changing CPU fan
https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/alienware-aurora-r10-desktop/alienware-aurora-ryzen-service-manual/removing-the-processor-liquid-cooling-assembly?guid=guid-12547e7d-5948-4aa2-b0da-f9049c082ceb&lang=en-us

Removing Front Chassis Fan
https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/alienware-aurora-r10-desktop/alienware-aurora-ryzen-service-manual/removing-the-front-chassis-fan?guid=guid-0e3ac2e4-7d7f-4312-8dc9-8d54e0b54c05&lang=en-us

November 28th, 2020 05:00

can you control the fan speed on the alienware control center using the corsair fan? @Anonymous 

No Events found!