Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

3 Posts

May 12th, 2020 13:00

Aurora R10, flashes yellow light on startup, long time to shut down

When I boot up my Alienware R10 the alien head logo on it flashes yellow 3 times and then boots up normally. Also, when I shut it down it takes a long time to shut down. What does this mean? Is it a problem? if so, how can I fix it? I just bought this like a month ago.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

May 12th, 2020 14:00

Note, the battery is the size of a quarter and located on the motherbaord. 

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

May 12th, 2020 14:00

That's a motherboard or chipset error.  You should contact Dell if it's under warranty.  Sometimes a bad CR2032 battery can cause this, so you can also try replacing that, or doing a CMOS reset (unplugging everything and removing and replacing the battery after 10 minutes). 

Table 1. Diagnostics.Number of Power LED flashes Problem description

1 System board: BIOS and ROM failure
2 No memory or RAM detected
3 System board or chipset error
4 Memory or RAM failure
5 CMOS battery failure
6 Video card or chip failure
7 CPU failure
3,6 BIOS recovery image not found
3,7 BIOS recovery image found but invalid

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

May 12th, 2020 15:00

the R10 is a brand new model. the chance that the cmos battery in this model goes bad so quickly is very small.

system taking a long time to shut down is a "normal" idiosyncratic Windows behavior sometimes.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

May 12th, 2020 15:00

The chipset/mobo error code is not normal though and should be investigated.  You should contact Dell if you can't figure it out.

15 Posts

October 20th, 2020 14:00

I got might a few months ago too and have the exact same flashing pattern. Did you ever figure out what’s going on? I started troubleshooting with Dell support last week, tested hardware, reset the CMOS, unplugged peripheral  it went away... we suspected an issue with USB or peripherals but came back a day later and doesn’t go away even with all peripheral unplugged. Going to be following up with them but curious if you got this resolved. Thanks a bunch!

No Events found!