Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

5 Posts

August 21st, 2021 03:00

Aurora R11, RAM failure, unusual issue

I just want to ask the community if they have experienced any issues with random RAM failures. To disclose, this issue is being investigated by Dell tech support right now, and I am awaiting another visit on Monday. However, this is also stumping me and tech support.

System: Alienware Aurora R11, i9 with 16Gb RAM - upgraded by me with another 16GB RAM, giving 8GB sticks x 4. PC been running for months OK, then one morning last week, went in to the room and the PC would not boot up. After a call with tech support, it appeared that there were 4 yellow flashes, meaning RAM failure. Using i slot, we isolated a ram stick which allegedly gave us the issue. He ordered a new pair (so it can match) and I put the phone down. I closed up the PC by closing the door on the side, then I had a failure on boot with 2 flashes. Research shown that was RAM missing?

Second call, another tech followed a similar process, yet this time, all 4 sticks worked! So we closed the door, then we got the same two flashes. The tech then deduced this must be a motherboard issue, so a replacement was called and the tech came the other day to fit.

After the board was fitted and the RAM reinstated, we had the same issue. Closed the door and dead again. In the end he left, after ordering a 2nd motherboard (in case the first one was also bad) and 2 sticks of 8gb ram (in case we do really have a RAM issue. He did manage to get the PC running on 2 sticks of RAM, but with the door open. The idea was he would return the next day with the other parts and continue. Unfortunately, the parts are delayed so he wont be returning until Monday.

So I decided to close the door and the same thing ensued. Then I thought, the machine came with 2 sticks and I bought 2 sticks. Adding these in there was no problem. But with this failure, we had not 'paired' the RAM whilst constantly swapping them out. So I decided to pair the new and old RAm as they were, and added them in 1/3 and 2/4 respectively. It worked. I closed the door, it still worked!. PC was on all last night, no issues.

This morning I get up and power on to 4 flashing lights (RAM failure).

I don't believe this is RAM failure, I also doubt that it is related to the new motherboard. Has anyone had anything like this before?

509 Posts

August 21st, 2021 05:00

Not heard of that but, auroras are not validated for 4x8GB configurations 

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

August 21st, 2021 11:00

As already pointed out, 4 x 8 GB is not a validated configuration. Therefore, it might or might not work:

Validated memory configurations R11 

Also, it's not clear from your post exactly what the memory was that you added. The only memory validated for the R11 is: R11 validated memory 

You cannot mix and match memory sticks from different manufacturers, or different parts numbers. 

These boards are very picky when it comes to memory support, and it's always recommended to only use the DELL validated memory, in their validated configurations. Any aftermarket memory might or might not work well.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

August 21st, 2021 14:00

Are you on BIOS 1.0.7?  If yes, boot up with just one stick of OEM RAM. Restart several times to ensure stability.  If all is fine, and you are on BIOS 1.0.7, downflash to the prior version by clicking the .exe here:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=1d9g9&oscode=wt64a&productcode=alienware-aurora-r11-desktop

Then please let us know if this solves your issue.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

August 21st, 2021 15:00

@PaulMcD wrote:

PC been running for months OK, then one morning last week, went in to the room and the PC would not boot up.

Also, to clarify my suggestion to downflash, the most recent BIOS update (July 2021) has been reported to cause RAM stability issues like you describe, especially if you're using a canned "XMP" profile selected from within AWCC.  

January 12th, 2022 07:00

OMG please tell me you solved this. Having exact same scenario with my R11 but I upgraded ram to 4*32gb Cosair Vengeance. Was working fine for 2 months but suddenly dead and blinking yellow light 4 time every boot with 3 or 4 sticks in it. Called dell support and thought its the motherboard and got replaced but same problem consist. Then thought it the ram problem but each pair works fine by them self. Now I can only boot up and play with 64gb and leaving the other pair alone and have no idea what i should do...

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

January 12th, 2022 08:00

It is likely some change related to a change in bios version. If it is not factory OEM ram it is going to be difficult to fix this.

1 Message

August 12th, 2022 14:00

I too had my system running fine for almost a year with the OEM and a retail Kingston Hyper X in the same channel with XMP Enabled, then after a Bios Upgrade the dreaded flashing yellow I was working around the issue by having the chips in separate channels, and thankfully someone just dumped a 3 pack of the retail 8GB chips that matched my additional one on an online auction for less than $50 so I am now happily running in 4X8 for 2 weeks now, unfortunately I know if I have a problem I am going to be SOL since it is not a validated configuration.

These systems are ridiculously sensitive on matched memory and specific memory at that, unlike systems in the past that would tune down to the slowest stick in the group, these just will not post past bios. Then on top of it the OEM memory Kingston Hyper X at same MHz ratings are different than the retail ones, and then some ridiculousness about 4X8 not being an officially supported configuration.  I am not even sure who to be mad at Dell for trying to sell OEM Only memory at 2-3X what similar chips sell for online elsewhere or Kingston manufacturing subtle differences that prevent mixing OEM and Retail chips in the same channel. The fact that I can insert one chip either OEM or Retail and pass every memory test in the bios, put them in separate channels and pass every test, but cannot post if they are in the same channel is extremely frustrating. Thankfully people on this forum but this experience so far makes me want to go back to building my own PCs. 

193 Posts

August 12th, 2022 15:00

Kingston!  I create 4 heatsinks with a 0.2 tolerance pull on, push off, its amazing DRAM, i compare with 3 DRAM banks 11 years ago with a GTX 590, those banks where standard 1800 mhz and fully heatsinks, now we have a R 13 and no heatsink is found on those 2 banks 32v GB dual R 4400, so i create that at my own, with a internal temp recording it close to 10-14 degrees below, intresting, isnt it?

193 Posts

August 12th, 2022 15:00

I'm listen to Helstar, nosferatu the whole album from 1982 and read about that 

DRAM here, open your lovely Alienware and take off and push back DRAM, no blabla.

Take off phisically and push back DRAM will resolve problems many issues,its a little forgotten old resolve from my generation back 14  years ago, but its a strong tip and still stand this day

193 Posts

August 12th, 2022 16:00

Why you talk about DRAM frustating and Bios?> What is the compare with those 2? simply forget Bios, and reset your DRAM, and dual channel = dual channel, you cant messure the seperate, My R 13 didnt have Kingston btw...thats passed a long time ago, and its not ridiculousness about whatever your mem is one a specific AW Motherboard, put them in separate channels? how? what is your configuration?

193 Posts

August 13th, 2022 11:00

When you want test dram and/or ,otherboard, make sure you know where the north and southbridge are, from that location you put in dram into the righ slot^^\

[ Edit ] When its west from both of them , you start with first slot left, so 1-3-2-4

very usefull when you planned to buy more dram^^

You cant simply put in dram into a slot you think its the right.

Take a picture from originally factory set up^^ then mess with more banks.

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

August 13th, 2022 23:00

3-1-4-2 . . . but whatever

April 20th, 2023 05:00

Does anyone have a solution? Please help.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

April 20th, 2023 06:00

What is the problem you are experiencing?

1 Message

November 29th, 2023 05:31

I just bought new ram from Dell that is compatible for my Alienware aurora r11. I bought another 8gb ram, making 16gb in total. First, when installing the ram, i have to force it in despite videos telling me I shouldn’t haven’t to. Thinking that Dell recommends me this product and says it’s compatible for this PC, I shouldn’t have to force it. However, there was a time where I was able to get the ram into the slot. I placed it in the slot with the white clips. After closing up the PC, I turn it on to where the light blinks yellow four times and shuts down then repeats. On, blink four times, shut down. Reboots. On, blink four times, shut down. Reboots. And so on. I seriously do not know what the problem is. It fits the compatibility with the PC, straight from Dell, recommended by Dell, so there is no reason that this shouldn’t work, yet here I am struggling. What do I do?

No Events found!