Sealover8016
2 Bronze

Re: Aurora R11, RTX 3080, constantly hitting power/voltage limit

I did not know this, is this something an update can fix? Or is it hardware? It’s bogus to me they don’t allow any play on your power limit. The card is not being use anywhere close its potential. Some results I’ve seen are what I would consider an acceptable amount of performance loss...However in my case the loss is substantial. I’ve been looking into anything I can do to remove these unnecessary restrictions but haven’t found anything. I’m actually going to look into the return policy when I get home.

0 Kudos
speedstep
8 Krypton

Re: Aurora R11 RTX 3080 - Constantly hitting power/voltage limit

@Vanadiel 

PCI-E  3.0  x8 is the same bandwidth as PCI-E  2.1  x16

no idea why you reference  PCI-X  that is a very old bus that is not used for more than 10 years now

Version Intro-
duced
Line code Transfer
rate
Throughput
x1 x2 x4 x8 x16
1.0 2003 8b/10b 2.5GT/s  0.250 GB/s 0.500 GB/s 1.000 GB/s 2.000 GB/s 4.000 GB/s
2.1 2009 128b/130b 5.0 GT/s 0.500 GB/s 1.000 GB/s 2.000 GB/s 4.000 GB/s 8.000 GB/s
3.0 2010 128b/130b 8.0 GT/s 0.985 GB/s 1.969 GB/s 3.938 GB/s 8.000 GB/s 15.754 GB/s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJuj16gRoBI

PCIe x16 has 82 pins and is 89 mm long. Regardless of the size or number of pins, the key notch is always at the eleventh pin.

3.3v is now required for all pci slots

5v is no longer supported

PCI-X is NOT PCI-EPCI-X is NOT PCI-E\

PCI-X is very old and no longer usedPCI-X is very old and no longer used

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Vanadiel
3 Zinc

Well, you know what I was talking about. That's in the end all that matters. It's still a shame a $3,000 gaming machine cannot run a single PCI-E slot at X16 under revision 3.0 or 4.0 of the PCI-E standard and has to revert to running it at 8x.

It's unfortunate when they named these 2 different standards, they choose names that are very identical.

PCI-X, short for Peripheral Component Interconnect eXtended

PCI Express, short for Peripheral Component Interconnect Express

0 Kudos
DrKey
2 Bronze

I agree with @Vanadiel, considering that PCIe 3.0 was released in 2010 it's simply ridicolous that after 10 years these machines are running at 8x. I can't really imagine any incompatibility issue that takes 10+ years to be addressed.

Btw I found a nice video which compares performance of a RTX 3080 on PCIe 3.0/4.0 at 8x/16x, check it out. Actually it seems to be a bottleneck already for this card, I wonder how a 3090 would perform then. But my biggest concern is more about the future since I won't be able to upgrade my GPU unless Dell will release an update to support x16.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq8Vv-WqlIE

0 Kudos
Vanadiel
3 Zinc

To be honest, they should put this limitation on the web page where you order the machines, instead of mentioning it casually in the documentation. It should be on the specs on the ordering page.

At one hand they tell you "for optimal graphics performance, use a PCI-Express X16 slot for connecting the graphics card", and right below that under a "note" they casually mention it only works at X8.

Well, it's not really a PCI-E X16 slot when it only works as a PCI-E X8 slot, is it now?

Just call it what it is, a PCI-E X8 slot. You will never get PCI-E X16 out of it unless they somehow remove that limitation.

Sealover8016
2 Bronze

“At one hand they tell you "for optimal graphics performance, use a PCI-Express X16 slot for connecting the graphics card",

- They knew what they were doing, its pretty disgusting, and disappointing.

Just call it what it is, a PCI-E X8 slot. You will never get PCI-E X16 out of it unless they somehow remove that limitation.

- How simple would that be & if its something that could be done through drivers or some type of update....Is there anyway to bypass the restriction, whether it voids the warranty or not is no concern of mine.

I really want to return mine at this point. Going to check into that. I even ordered the Corsair Fans and  AIO cooler, that other users had good results with. The bottom line seems to be, that your stuck with the ridiculous 320 watt power limit and old tech for the PCI.

Money was never the issue here, it was availability of the GPU I wanted. Well I did have a dell rebate in my pocket and a nice chunk of their dell rewards that were close to expiring...so all that made me jump on the purchase...But certainly the main factor was not being able to find a 3080/90 anywhere on the planet.

0 Kudos