Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

15 Posts

November 22nd, 2020 09:00

Aurora R11, Zotac RTX 3070 Twin Edge installed

I installed a Zotac RTX 3070
  into my Aurora R11. 

This card:  https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-gaming-geforce-rtx-3070-twin-edge-oc

It fits if you very carefully remove the triangle metal support under the power supply.  I used tin snips and when I got to the rivets I twisted the final bit off like a spam can. You have to be very careful with the part the remains so as not to twist it off too.

This card has the power connectors recessed-hard to get to but helps alleviate further height issues.  I downloaded the driver directly from Zotac dated 11-09-20. The card requires only 220 watts I believe and the original fan can stay in place.

Alienware.jpg

Alienware (2).jpegAlienware (3).jpeg

No problems so far except I’ve run several Benchmark programs. Some work but most say ‘The Direct 3D device has a non-zero reference count...'   I’m overclocking at level one through the 1.0.3 Bios?

November 22nd, 2020 17:00

What a great news from you! For this fantastic 3070, are you using a 550w or 1,000w power supply?

(I will be quite interested in a RTX 3070 or 3060 in the future. Currently my R11 is bottlenecked by my old 55" BFGD, which has only 1080p and 60hz.)

15 Posts

November 23rd, 2020 16:00

My R11 has the 1000 watt power supply.  It's running the BIOS level 2 overclocking and haven't had any issues except with the program 'UserBenchmark" but I have it working now.

ldhallett

568 Posts

February 7th, 2021 02:00

@ldhallett 

Good job If your CPU temps suffer from the non-blower GPU, consider initially adding a upper front fan in the HDD bay to add cool air above the GPU.

The triangle is a structure strengthening part for the PSU swing-out mechanism, you will normally have to be careful opening and closing. There are options to avoid having to do this, depends on your choice/taste of GPU.

4 Posts

February 7th, 2021 02:00

Was it detected by your system or did you have to install some drivers first? Change BIOS etc.?

15 Posts

February 7th, 2021 19:00

It booted up fine and I decided to install the Zotac drivers just to insure compatibility. Bios recognized the card right away.

All was fine until.............MY CAT DECIDED TO SPRAY INTO THE SIDE OF MY OPEN CASE.  It didn’t hit the video card, but I lost a hard drive, ram, and I think the motherboard. I cleaned it up with baby wipes, alcohol, and then the hair dryer. 

I have another Alienware ordered to switch around parts, sell the new parts to pay for the new case and motherboard witch is all I need. I already replaced the ram and hard drive. I cloned the boot drive. I’ll have to swap the service tags. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 7th, 2021 20:00

All was fine until.............MY CAT DECIDED TO SPRAY INTO THE SIDE OF MY OPEN CASE

======================

That's so weird.

I have a 2 year old 20-lbs male Bengal-Cat. He was chipped and fixed when we got him from the shelter as a kitten. He is very smart and rather dog-like. He still has his claws so we suffered-through our share of furniture destruction as a kitten (until we got him more trained) but he has never sprayed anything/anywhere. 

Is your cat fixed?

15 Posts

February 7th, 2021 22:00

She was fixed as a kitten. She’s a ~12yo  long haired orange tabby, very smart. I guess she got jealous of how much time I was spending with the R11

1 Message

February 25th, 2021 21:00

Oh wow. How did you get it in though? I just tried installing the same Zotac RTX 3070 Twin Edge model into my r11. I couldn't get the 2070 Super out, and worried about breaking it and the slot, so I tried installing the Zotac into the second slot. It didn't seem to fit there either--I'd almost be able to slot in the piece on the back side (away from the ports), but then couldn't slot in the rest of it if that makes sense. I couldn't make heads or tails of where it was jamming, so I have up after a few hours rather than risk damaging the computer. 

Any thoughts would be super appreciated. Thanks!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 26th, 2021 11:00

Zotac RTX 3070 Twin Edge model into my r11.

1. I couldn't get the 2070 Super out, and worried about breaking it and the slot,

2. so I tried installing the Zotac into the second slot. It didn't seem to fit there either--I'd almost be able to slot in the piece on the back side (away from the ports), but then couldn't slot in the rest of it if that makes sense. 

====================

1. Sometimes, the motherboard's PCIe slot has a locking latch. Might be hard to see on a dual-slot-thick card.

2. Main thing is that the card's edge (with contacts) fits down into MB slot nicely and smoothly (MB not flexing). Then, as it goes down, see what is going on with metal ports bracket. The edge in front (where you might connect PCIe-power cables) just hangs there or that Aurora might have a channel slot (rare now-days).

Put machine on desk so you can see what you are doing. Light or flashlight helps. Take it slow.

This machine should have a PDF Service Manual.  

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

February 26th, 2021 13:00

"1. I couldn't get the 2070 Super out, and worried about breaking it and the slot,"

If you try to boot with a 2070S connected to the top slot with no power cables, and the 3070 connected to the bottom slot, it will probably error on POST with a one line message telling you to connect the power cables and no option to proceed to windows.  But yeah, you need to flip the blue clip on the right side of the x16 slot before the GPU will come out.  

"2. so I tried installing the Zotac into the second slot. It didn't seem to fit there either--I'd almost be able to slot in the piece on the back side (away from the ports), but then couldn't slot in the rest of it if that makes sense."

You might need to remove the 2.5" HDD caddies on the bottom of the chassis if you want to use it on the bottom slot. 

15 Posts

February 26th, 2021 14:00

Look at the first photo in the post, the part outlined in red.  I carefully removed that triangle of metal from the chassis.  Sorry you didn't see that that needed to be done first.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

February 26th, 2021 14:00

"Look at the first photo in the post, the part outlined in red. I carefully removed that triangle of metal from the chassis. Sorry you didn't see that that needed to be done first."

Yeah, good reminder but we aren't there yet.   I think everyone knows the case won't close with a 5.6" GPU, unless you remove that triangle.  We are still on step 1.  The problem at this point is they need help removing the Dell GPU from the top slot, and then installing the new GPU in the PC.  Triangle cutting (i.e., closing the case) would be step 3. Or that's when it would come up, you probably should have everything removed oem and new for that.

15 Posts

November 24th, 2022 14:00

Yes, I had to remove that triangle in the R11 case to fit that Zotac card. 

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

The nVidia RTX 3070 Founders Edition graphics card will fit without de-triangulation.

1 Message

i know im late and i dont know if ill get a answer, but if i wanted to buy this graphics card is it mandatory to remove the metal piece?

No Events found!