Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

31 Posts

January 23rd, 2021 18:00

Aurora R11, brand new, getting a lot of BSOD

Hello, I received my R11 10 days ago and it's already highly unstable. I'm getting a lot of blue screens, especially when gaming, but also randomly on Windows start or just by navigating on internet. It was able to collect some dumps but most of the time it's not even able to do so. The monitor starts flickering then black screen after couple of seconds and I have to press the power button. Sometimes, after reboot, it doesn't even come up with the BIOS, the light on case is on but nothing happens until I press the power button to shut it down, unplug and plug the power cable, and then it boots up. I did all tests provided by Dell using SupportAssist on Windows and on boot (F12) but no errors found. All drivers are up-to-date, including BIOS.

The dumps always refer to ntoskrnl.exe which is actually the Windows kernel and, according to posts found on the internet, these problems seems to be related to hardware failures. One of these dump is showing MEMORY_MANAGEMENT as bug check string.

Could someone from Dell get in touch with me?

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

January 23rd, 2021 19:00

What is your RAM configuration and did you do the f12 long RAM test?

Also, try disabling all oc settings in AWCC, and also disable xmp in bios, if enabled, f2 on startup.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 23rd, 2021 21:00

Press F12 on boot, and be sure it passes ePSA Diags as 100% successful.

Be sure all Over-Clocking is OFF.

Now, try normal things in Windows.

If it still crashes, look in Windows Reliability report and see what (red) critical errors are present. 

31 Posts

January 24th, 2021 06:00

I got 32GB 3200 MHz Hyperfury and yes I did the long RAM test, no errors found. I also tried with memtest86 on boot, it took like 6 hours and didn't find anything.

I didn't set up any overclock, not even tried to since it performs really good already (when it works). I also tried to disabled XMP memory and even Intel features (e.g. SpeedStep) but nothing changed.

31 Posts

January 24th, 2021 07:00

That's a good tip, thanks! Actually I thought the same, since all tests seems to be OK, I guess it's either the PSU or the motherboard... I'll give a try.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

The MEMORY_MANAGEMENT is a blue screen of death error name and it’s also known for its bug check value of 0x0000001A.

Due to the broken or corrupted system files, the 0x0000001a BSOD Windows 10 will appear. To fix the damaged system files, you need to utilize a utility SFC (system file checker).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e

The sfc /scannow admin command prompt will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files with a cached copy that is located in a compressed folder at %WinDir% System32dllcache. The %WinDir% placeholder represents the windows os folder.

31 Posts

I did it already and I have no OC. Windows event manager just shows Kernel-Power as critical system event.

Believe me guys I'm trying everything since 5 days but I can't find the problem.

Last night I let Windows Memory diagnostic run for approximately 7 hours set to "extensive test" and when I came back the test was stuck on 1st iteration at 21%. I've read the step at 21% takes time but is it normal after 7 hours? And besides that, it was frozen and didn't react when I tried to press ESC or F1. Is it normal?

568 Posts

hi @DrKey 

Use the computer without GPU connected to the PSU to lower power draw, if it doesn't BSOD, could be a PSU problem.

Just a wild guess in the dark from previous BSOD experiences 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 24th, 2021 11:00

1. I got 32GB 3200 MHz Hyperfury

2. and yes I did the long RAM test, no errors found. I also tried with memtest86 on boot, it took like 6 hours and didn't find anything.

3. and even Intel features (e.g. SpeedStep) but nothing changed.

===========================

1. From the factory or you do that yourself?

2. Good

3. No, usually better to keep those as Default settings which should be Enabled. Actually, trying to Disable advanced Intel-CPU features on that BIOS screen just creates more problems.

Do you have machine connected to a good UPS-Battery (like an APC 1000-1350 with AVR and the LCD)?

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

January 24th, 2021 13:00

Try unplugging everything externally except the monitor. Seen this before with USB devices drawing to much power, causing all kinds of issue.

31 Posts

January 26th, 2021 00:00

I tried everything until Sunday evening when it crashed again and this time it didn't come up. I also tried to unplug the power cable multiple times but pressing the power button was only turning the light on case on and nothing else. Then I went sleep and the day after I was able to turn it on. This thing is crazy, I'm quite sure it's the motherboard. I even reinstalled Win10 from scratch but it didn't help, it must be a hardware problem. Right now I can't run any game, it crashes after few minutes.

So I contacted Dell and told them what's happening and they said I'll get a new machine since it's not clear what the problem is. I assume they will take their time to find it out. The technician was very kind and told me that someone will get in touch with me today via email. So now I just hope to get new PC asap since I already waited 6 weeks to get this one. Thank you anyway for all your suggestions.

568 Posts

January 26th, 2021 04:00

@DrKey 

I hope your new machine comes soon and I hope it works this time, I expect it will take a few weeks although I have no idea really, always had my Alenwares work out of the box, keeping my  for you.

Keep us posted

1 Message

February 26th, 2021 14:00

I had a similar experience with the R11. It turned out to be the wireless network adapter. Disabled it and the problem went away completely. Enabled it again and started getting BSOD. 

No Events found!