Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 5th, 2021 08:00

Aurora R11, disappointing product and support

Let me preface this story with this: I was a desktop support person for ~10 years. I was hardware certified by Dell and HP. This isn't my first hardware rodeo.

Purchased an Aurora R11 late November. Computer was DOA when I received it. I went through the normal troubleshooting steps of removing the ram and reseating, same with the graphics card. I was able to get the computer power up and attempt to load Windows. Installation was corrupt, Windows 10 would attempt to repair, fail, and reboot. Rinse and repeat. 

I contacted Dell for assistance since this is a brand new computer and frankly I don't think I should be repairing a brand new piece of equipment. After speaking with support they dispatched a tech (Global Step) who was sent a new NVMe drive to install in the machine. It was a blank drive and the tech did not have any windows installation media. He contacted support and was shipped a pre-imaged drive.

Visit #2 from the tech, NVMe drive was installed but the same issue persisted. 

Visit #3 from the tech, I'm not even sure what he did since I was in a meeting while he was onsite. Computer is still not repaired. 

I contacted Dell support to request a new computer be shipped to me OR a refund applied to my credit card. So, now I sit, waiting on this to be escalated so I can get some resolution. Due to the holidays, I've been waiting over a week for the escalation. I'm also told it would be 2-3 weeks before the replacement machine would be shipped to me. 

At that point it will be 2 months and some weeks since I ordered my computer. I'm absolutely disgusted with Dell and the support offered to customers. I've never had such poor support over the last 25 years. Once this issue is resolved I will *not* be buying any additional hardware from Dell. 

5 Posts

January 13th, 2021 04:00

I'm getting a replacement machine shipped to me. Expected arrival date is 1/28/21. We'll see how this goes, hopefully this one isn't a piece of junk. 

568 Posts

January 5th, 2021 09:00

I would have done the same as you did, try to get it going, contact support, wait, wait, maybe fixed, rinse repeat, ask for a replacement/refund.

I do understand how you feel, I would feel the same, often we may feel more qualified than those fixing our problems, the process may not be perfect, nowhere is perfect for everyone ideals of a perfect support service, not even at work

I think you have to consider some things, by experience, ordering 1 month before christmas has the risk of not arriving before and even if it does, there is never a 100% guarantee things work.

As for the delivery 2-3 weeks? I know this may sound long, but do consider some things are difficult at the moment because of COVID-19 has decreased a lot of fluidity of components whether production or transport, even Nvidia have announced they are unable to supply the demand, I reckon this is global across many components making up a computer.

I would suggest you either accept the 2-3 week delay or get a refund, I personally would considering the current situation wait for the replacement.

Good luck

55 Posts

January 5th, 2021 10:00

This is an unfortunate reality in the current COVID climate. I received my R11 in July and held my breath when setting it up. Everything worked as expected and I was relieved. I too am a systems engineer and know how the computer supply chain works. Every manufacturer is facing similar issues. My $35K Cisco UCS blades are just as affected by these issues as our <=$4K home computers.

5 Posts

January 5th, 2021 10:00

I 100% agree on the supply chain issues. If that is the problem, then the companies should be saying so. 

I'm NOT okay with the poor support I've received through out this process. To keep my original post short I omitted a number of phone calls I've had with Dell trying to get this issue resolved. At this point I just want my money back. Other computer manufacturers are out there and have systems in stock and ready to go. If Dell isn't able to provide me with a functional machine, in a reasonable time frame, Someone else can.

568 Posts

January 5th, 2021 11:00

Well then so be it, I wish you the best of luck elsewhere, I guess we lose a community member or we keep a community member but who is angry, either way it will be a sad loss.

5 Posts

January 5th, 2021 11:00

This is my 5th Alienware computer I've purchased. Other experiences with them have been pretty decent over all. 

The company I work for purchases ~2500 Dell laptops and ~2000 desktops every year for our rolling refresh. I've decided to look into other suppliers and see there might be better options available as well. We've experienced similar, but less frustrating issues with Dell over the last 3 years. I've been on the fence about staying with them for awhile. 

Either way, my intent with this post was to shine some light on Dell's failings in regards to their consumer gaming line. Hopefully it'll make others thing twice about purchasing from them. After watching the videos from Linus Tech Tips earlier today, I don't think my experience is too unique. 

568 Posts

January 5th, 2021 12:00

I would test:

- ram in different slots and combinations

- GPU in the other PCIE slot (if there is one)

- GPU powered by another cable (if there is one)

- reseating the NVME, apparantly it is very sensitive

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

January 5th, 2021 19:00

"Installation was corrupt, Windows 10 would attempt to repair, fail, and reboot. Rinse and repeat."

Since you're having the same problem with two different M2 SSD's ... it's possible the M2 slot got damaged, e.g., static discharge or whatnot.  You might try inspecting the contacts and then cleaning it with 99% IPA. 

5 Posts

January 6th, 2021 10:00

I actually tried pulling the drive all together and booting the system from an Ubuntu thumb drive. Machine resets pretty much as soon as it would try loading. 

At this point I believe there is either a problem with the processor or the motherboard. 

My complaint comes back to this: I shouldn't be the one diagnosing the problem with a brand new computer. If I wanted the responsibility of handling issues with my computer myself, I would have assembled my own. I would have built a much nicer machine for the same money, or the same machine and saved some bucks. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 6th, 2021 11:00

Can't really help with this as your issue seems to be with Dell directly at this point (original supplier). Plus, you don't seem to want it "just fixed" (want a complete replacement ?) or even resent fixing it yourself.

So, I'll post this ...

Over the years, I've been down this road many times. Not so much with Dell, but all sorts of companies (various computers, machines, devices, appliances, vehicles, etc.). What someone said above about "hoping this new machine un-boxes and first-time-setups well" is certainly a familiar situation for me.

Many times I've had machines that are DOA, or main-drive fails within 90 days. Never with a SSD, but used to happen quite a bit with spinning-platter HDDs. I only remember one Dell, and the others were HP and Lenovo.

Especially with delicate things (like desktop computers) that are allowed to be opened by owner (without voiding warranty) ... if they have been bounced-around in UPS/FedEx shipping, I often open it first and check it quickly before powering-it-on the first time.

With DOA or early failures ... unless it's something very easy that I can fix myself (I use tech support and any available docs/research available) ... I just box it up and return it for a refund. In a few cases, I had to get credit-card company involved.

As far as "fixing it myself" ... while I don't welcome it, I would rather do that than waiting for someone else to do it. Since it's usually something new and "cutting edge", it's rare that the technician knows more than myself. Most companies initially lead you down this easier (for them) road anyway. I use my training as a benefit to myself and don't feel like I'm being taken advantage of.

It might not seem like it now, but Dell really wants you to have a 100% working computer system and to be satisfied with your purchase. 

56 Posts

January 7th, 2021 03:00

I can agree that the support is poor. I have RAM issue myself that I've been trying to resolve and I keep getting put off. I've emailed 4 managers and only one has responded. That one manager keeps putting me off and is clearly not interested in resolving the issue.

I have made 8 support attempts. 1 of them disconnected me, and 2 of them gave me bogus links to follow. The others offered no help whatsoever.

I have initiated a return, and I will say I had no issues getting a fed-ex label mailed to me within 1 hour. I have 10 days to print the label and another 5 to mail it out. It is my last ditch effort to resolve the matter within 15 days. Who wants to go through the hassle of returning and repurchasing a $3000 system. 

I believe that beyond a language barrier from India support, there are also cultural differences that pose a hurdle to the resolution process. They clearly don't care, and they do the bare minimum to follow their assigned roles.  

Needles to say, we do have recourses. I plan to follow through unless a resolution has been offered.

No Events found!