Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 9th, 2022 00:00

Aurora R11, pump fan failure

Alienware Aurora R11

Alienware Aurora R11

My Aurora R11 is 17 months old. This morning, when I turned the desktop on,  I received a 'Critical Error Message' telling me that the 'Fan - The fan failed to respond correctly () pump failure'. I started Dell SupportAssist and checked the fans separately. The Front fan and the Top fan passed the tests. 

The Pump Fan failed the test. I have followed the Dell link and the suggestions there are to clean the airways around the pump fan and to remove any dust from the fan blades.

I have stripped off the side and top covers and cleaned the fan with a small vacuum. It wasn't very dusty but I cleaned it anyway.

I switched off the PC and then switched it on again and got the same error message.

The PC is 5 months out of warranty. I hadn't had any issues to speak of and didn't think I would need support from Dell!

Can anyone suggest what I should do to remedy the problem myself? All advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

Ed (UK Dell User)

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

August 9th, 2022 09:00

The best thing to do is message @DELL-Cares as they are best suited to advice where to go from here.

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

August 9th, 2022 11:00

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

August 10th, 2022 07:00

Don't forger the Y-Splitter adapter cables. The push/pull configuration with ML120 Pro fans has been done by many others . . . there is definitely room for the radiator sandwich in the cage. That being said, it will be a tight fit, so patience is important. Watch that Christmas video to see how it is done. I don't recall if it is specified in that video, but you will need four #6-32 bolts that are 30mm (1.25 inches) long to mount the fan/radiator to the top of the cage.

Take some photos of your project and share here, if you do not mind. It may be helpful to others trying a similar mod.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

August 10th, 2022 16:00

For a quick opinion benchmark, userbenchmark can be used: userbenchmark 

It's not a top of the line benchmark and sometimes is a bit skewed, but it is free and pretty quick, and gives you a baseline of some sorts.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

August 13th, 2022 14:00

Hey, the 3 pin versus 4 pin connector is simple: it can only go on 1 way, regardless of how many pins are used. If it does not slide onto the motherboard header easily simple flip it around and try again. Very little force should be used to slide this on.

The sata connector goes into any of the spare sata power plug connectors of the power supply. It DOES NOT go to the motherboard.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

August 13th, 2022 15:00

No problem. It's never a good idea to keep working hours on end trying to assemble components. Much better to take a break and try again tomorrow.

One other thing to keep in mind is that when you tighten down the pump assembly ensure to keep even pressure by tightening the mounting screws in a cross pattern, similar to how you would tighten a car rim. This will prevent the assembly from being installed under an angle that will in turn provide poor contact with the CPU surface. 

I always use my left hand to keep the pump firmly in place while tightening the screws in a cross pattern.

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

August 13th, 2022 16:00

There should be additional SATA power cables stuffed up in the metal PSU box . . . but any SATA power connection should work. Connect the pump tach ( 1 wire ) cable to the FAN_CPU motherboard header to avoid the diagnostic startup error.

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

August 14th, 2022 15:00

Looks like you did a great job! I think clearing CMOS is a good idea . . . but first;

the pump tack cable (1 wire ) connects to FAN_CPU mobo header

(click photo to embiggen)

CPU_FAN.JPG

38 Posts

August 14th, 2022 16:00

Hi ProfessorW00d...... It's Worked, It's actually worked. You are a genius. There is absolutely no way I could have navigated through this upgrade without your brilliant help. I just can't believe that it started up and there were no error messages at all. I powered it down, then started it up again 5 times and every time it has started correctly. That is all down to you and you hard work supporting me. I cannot tell you how delighted and relieved I am. Thank you so very much for being so patient and for staying with me until the problem was fixed. We are leaving for a 4-day break in the morning (it's just gone midnight here) but I can leave in the knowledge that the PC is working. When I get back I will tidy up the loose cables inside and then produce a write up. I have taken lots of photos along the way and hopefully that will help others. All I can say now is a massive thank you. Take care and best wishes, Ed

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

August 14th, 2022 17:00

Good to hear!! I enjoyed working through the project with you. Have a great family vacation!

38 Posts

August 20th, 2022 23:00

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

August 9th, 2022 05:00

Is it the radiator fan that failed? There's no such thing as a pump fan on these systems that I am aware off.

38 Posts

August 9th, 2022 06:00

Hi Vanadiel, Yes, I think that you are right. It looks like it is the radiator fan although Support Assist seems to call it the Pump Fan. I have just run the Support Assist diagnostics package again and am attaching the results. The first photo (Fans to be Tested) shows the 3 fans that Support Assist sees. The second photo ('Pump' Fan Test 01 Fail) shows the fan that is failing. According to Support Assist, this is the 'Pump Fan' so I'm assuming it is the fan that is sited just below the radiator in the top of the casing. The other 2 photos show the 'Top' fan and the 'Front' fan and these seem OK. I'm really confused as I thought this unit only had 2 fans ! Any pointers or help you can give would be greatly appreciated. These are the 3 fans that SupportAssist say the unit has on boardThis is the one that has failed. When I hold the cursor over the device it says it is the 'Pump Fan'This is the 'Top Fan' and looks OKThis is the 'Front Fan' and looks to be OK as well 

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

August 9th, 2022 06:00

There are only 2 fans in the R11: the Front-chassis fan and the top-chassis fan. The top fan is also the radiator fan. R11 service manual 

So what I am thinking is that your pump motor is failing. Does your CPU get hot really quickly when you put it under load? 

38 Posts

August 9th, 2022 07:00

Hi Vanadiel, To begin with, thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly. I'm not quite sure how to test the CPU temperature. Is there some diagnostic software that I should run ? I can say that the fan is running very fast and loud and I also received an error message as I started the PC up to reply to you. I'm attaching a photo of the message I received  a few minutes ago. This appeared before anything else and when I clicked OK, windows started. The message says 'The fan failed to respond correctly. () Pump failure. That sounds terminal. I think you may be right, it could be the pump although the message seems to say the fan is failing. I'm totally confused. If I do need a new pump, is this something that I buy online and fit myself or should I send the PC back to Dell ? (It's 5 months outside of it's 12 month warranty, just my luck !!) Again, any advice would be really helpful. Many thanks, EdThis is the message that I received when I turned the PC on

No Events found!