Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 12th, 2021 05:00

Aurora R11, specifications, OEM Nvidia RTX 3080 video card?

Two months ago I received my Aurora R11 computer directly from the Dell website. It included the Nvidia RTX 3080 video card which is very difficult to get. It seems very secretive, but what are the specifications of the Dell OEM version of the Nvidia RTX 3080 video card as compared to the Founders Edition?

I have read up because of the size of the card and the case of the Aurora R11, there are only two fans, instead of the Founders Edition which has three fans

Thus, does anybody know specifically what are the specifications of the Dell OEM version of the Nvidia RTX 3080 video card?  What is the base speed and how much you can overclock the Dell version?  Who makes this card for Dell? Has anybody had problems with the card? Any success stories as well specifically with the Dell version, since its smaller and has only two fans

Thanks, Ronny

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 12th, 2021 07:00

Dell OEM MSI GeForce RTX 3080

Part number = 4Y12V
Platforms = Aurora R12/R11/R10
Card dimensions = Length: 267mm, Height: 114mm, Width: 50mm
Maximum Power Consumption = 320W
Power connectors = Two PCIe 8 pin
Ports = Three DisplayPort 1.4a, one HDMI 2.1
Memory = Type: GDDR6X, Size: 10GB, Interface width: 320 bits
Graphics bus = PCIe speed 4.0, PCIe width x16
GPU = Nvidia CUDA cores: 8704, Base clock: 1.44 GHz, Boost clock: 1.71 GHz

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

July 22nd, 2021 04:00

I think the confusion comes from your understanding of parts support. What you are looking for is an upgrade from an RTX 3070 to an RTX 3080 card. That is an upgrade, not a parts support. To my knowledge DELL does not provide upgrade support for Alienware systems. I have never heard of a DELL program where you can upgrade parts on an Alienware system. Correct! DELL-Chris M

I am pretty sure they would provide full support for the original components, aka the RTX 3070 that came with the system.

One thing to keep in mind that service contracts vary from country to country, so I am not sure how that would affect you since you transferred from USA to India.

4Y12V Dell/MSI Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 cannot be sold by the Dell Spare Parts team. That 5 digit part number is only used in new Dell system purchases and in "like for like" warranty exchanges.
DELL-Chris M

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 12th, 2021 07:00

@rsperge 

The nVidia RTX 3080 FE also only has 2 fans. The Dell cards are sourced from MSI. They have Ampere architecture, tensor cores and ray tracing.

21 Posts

January 12th, 2021 12:00

kind of disappointed, you have only 2 fans, of course due to the size of the tower, and the boost clock is only 1710 MHz, while other 3rd party companies, have 3 fans, and u have a boost clock of at least 1850 MHz. I

21 Posts

January 12th, 2021 15:00

well, that makes me feel better

July 15th, 2021 03:00

I had requested the Dell Sales team to provide a Sales quote for this Dell Part Number 4Y12V

They are unable to provide a Parts Replacement/Upgrade quote for the Dell Alienware system with the Service Tag

I've received an email from them stating that, the only option is to purchase a new dell system from their website. I honestly felt that this is absurd 

They are unable to provide support for the above spare part. Please assist me

Regards

Krish

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

July 15th, 2021 04:00

Dell does sell video cards, but to my knowledge they do not sell RTX 3000 series cards.

Video cards  

As i had stated earlier, i would like to purchase the Dell Part Number 4Y12V

I'm finding it difficult to get the Sales quote for ANY Spare part of this DELL system

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

Please do not post service tags.

What support do you need for the RTX 3080?

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

Mine boost up to 2050 Mhz. How high a card boosts up depends on various factors and differs from application to application. It will never just boost up and stay there. Instead it will boost up and down on a continuous basis.

Since the product is under warranty for the above mentioned Service Tag,

As per the sales/warranty agreement on the Dell Online store, Dell is obligated to

provide parts support for the above service Tag.

I have Not requested for anything which is Outside the Dell's Scope of Support.

I hope you could understand.

July 15th, 2021 05:00

The original Configuration of the above system contains RTX 3070.

But, i want to upgrade the part to RTX 3080.

The Sales Team is unable to provide an answer for Paid Upgrades / quotes for this Service Tag and the associated components like memory/processor upgrades.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

Ah, now I understand better. I don't think they provide upgrades for the video cards in the Alienware systems. It is mostly memory upgrades and storage upgrades, and accessories like keyboard, mice etc...

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

I don't understand. If you are experiencing issues with your RTX 3080 card in your system, depending on your warranty options, it will be covered under said warranty contract. How that will be handled will depend on the warranty options and what is actually wrong with the card.

I am not understanding why you would want to purchase an RTX 3080. Is it to replace a faulty RTX 3080? If your RTX 3080 is faulty and covered under warranty, there's no need to purchase a new card.

363 Posts

July 16th, 2021 06:00

@Krish Siddhart there is a worldwide GPU shortage going on for the past 6+ months, especially on the RTX 3000 series. Manufacturers simply can't produce them as fast as people are buying them (sometimes in large quantities for crypto mining).

I'm sure Dell and its suppliers (MSI for RTX3xxx cards) are facing the same problem. So Dell is keeping all the cards they can get to put into their pre-built systems and for warranty replacements. They probably don't have any left to sell retail. 

The good news is that the GPU shortage might be getting better soon with China cracking down on mining farms and ethereum about to limit the way people can mine it. Hopefully that will alleviate the demand and you will be able to buy a GPU.

No Events found!