Start a Conversation

Unsolved

GP

2 Posts

September 18th, 2022 13:00

Aurora R12, 2TB SSD failures

Alienware Aurora R12

Alienware Aurora R12

I purchased a Dell Aurora R12 about 10 months ago and fortunately I purchased the Premium Support for it. The computer is configured with a 2TB SSD as the boot drive and a 2TB HDD as the D drive, where I keep my data. Six months after purchase, the SSD boot drive failed and Dell installed a new one. It took awhile to reinstall everything. Three months later, the new SDD failed again. This seems an excessively high failure rate. Is Dell having a problem with their SSD supplier? Is there a problem in my Aurora R12 that causes SSD failures. I purchased the Premium Support for three years, so I will be ok and will come out ahead financially. This doesn't impress me with Dell's quality today. The prior Dell, and Area 51 worked fine for 12 years until I replaced it with this Aurora R12.

88 Posts

Maybe a heat sink on the m.2 drive?  The 2tb do run hot compared to the 1tb drives.  Do you have water cooler?  If not, the air cooled fins are perched right above the drive and the gpu right under it.  Heat sinks cost less than $20 and ez to install.  My 2nd m.2 drive is 2tb and comes with a heat sink from the manufacturer. 

Yes it is teh 2 TByte SSDD that has failed twice. I have not written anywhere near 600 TBytes of data. I am using about 300 GBytes of the SSDD only. A most I may have written 400 GBytes to it. The quality of the M2 SSDs seems poor.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

I am assuming that is a 2 TB M2 drive that keeps failing. Typically they last for years, so I am not sure why you were so unlucky with your drives.

The only thing I can think off that you possibly write a lot of data to the SSD? You would have to write a lot of data to it to cause it to fail.

A typical M2 SSD has around a 600 TBW before you have to start worrying about replacing it. 

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

September 18th, 2022 14:00

Download crystaldiskinfo and check your current SMART status of the SSD drive.

It should register the temperature and how much data has been written and read from it.

Crystaldiskinfo 

You might have to switch your disk access mode from Raid to AHCI in your BIOS, and I think Dell ships them in RAID access mode by default. You cannot read M2 SMART data in raid mode.

I am assuming you do not have any RAID volumes configured.

235 Posts

September 18th, 2022 14:00

I've three NVMe drives (one on CPU PCIe Gen4 bus, and two others on chipset PCIe Gen3 bus, but that's maximum what my older computer supports).
One drive has 75% life remaining (documented endurance 1'400 TBW, got it second hand off e-bay, probably from some crypto-mining server). All drives are with heatsinks and never seen reaching temperatures which would switch it into thermal-throttling mode (but my case cooling is not factory set).
Using it for almost a year and no failures whatsoever so far.

sam55todd_0-1663538358943.png

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 18th, 2022 16:00

@George Pavlath wrote:

Aurora R12

2 TByte SSDD as the boot drive and a 2 TByte spinning wheel drive as the D drive, where I keep my data.

Six months after purchase the boot drive failed and Dell installed a new one.

Three months later, the new SSDD failed again. 

I still haven't seen posted confirmation that they were NVMe or alternatively, just SATA-3/600 SSDs.

What was the make and model of them? Have you been monitoring your drive's SMART status (I always do). 

Never-the-less, seems unusual. I own or monitor about 30 SSDs (SATA and NVMe) and have never had one fail. Some of my Samsungs are about 10 years old. Alternatively, I've had a few spinning HDD's fail in that time-frame.

One thing that I do is ... I always Over-Provision my SSDs. Sometimes not easy to do, but I do it anyway. OP is about 10% of drive left as raw/un-partitioned/free-space at very end of drive. I have some old posts that go into more detail about the importance of OP (or you can just Google it).

Finally, while your machine is working fine and software/drivers are built-back-up the way you like it  ... I suggest you run a Macrium Reflect image backup (with Verify after creation enabled). Especially since they always repair it back to it's original hardware-config ... you could boot with the Macrium-Reflect Recovery flash-drive and restore any whole drive (or the whole machine) in minutes.

1 Message

March 24th, 2024 23:20

My nvme 2TB failed twice also.  The second time was a week after the Warranty expired.  It was made by western digital.  I bought one with a heat sync, but then realized there was no room for the heat sync under the graphics card where the nvme slot is, so I bought a pci adapter.  It works, doesn't fit very well, so if I move the PC I have to make sure it's still plugged in, but it works.   Have to say this R12 is the worst PC i've ever owned..

No Events found!